For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] WillPlunder as Mehmed of Arabia: Noobs meet world

(May 12th, 2013, 09:50)WilliamLP Wrote: Btw, at this point, any objection to being promoted to a team member, and I'd change the thread title? Something like "Team WillPlunder". I'd ask in the org thread first, but can't imagine there'd be a problem.

I don't have an objection, but I can't promise I'll be able to play all the time.

(And I'll have to find out how to run Civ IV on my ubuntu, now I have to reboot to start civ)

That's no problem, I'd still be the turn player, though it would be valuable to have a sub option in case something comes up. You're doing enough just giving advice and throwing out ideas to be a team member I think and obviously you can feel free to look at things in game for details I'll miss, only if you want to.

I have no idea when it starts. I think it's waiting on Sunrise to set it up. Somewhere between any minute to a week?

Ok cool =D
I didn't expect I would actually be "playing" in a PB game. I'll do my best to be a valuable team member!

Btw, there was a slight spoiler someone posted in the organization thread, saying there was debate in the lurker thread about how fair the starting positions were. This leads me to believe the starts and resources were balanced to be fair, not mirrored in terms of resources. (And I'd trust Commodore to do a good job at this.) But... maybe that means other teams don't have as much seafood and forest as we do.

It's maybe unfair to strategize on this kind of info, but all teams do have access to that thread.

I don't know if we can learn a lot from that though. I see it more in the way that no civ is completely screwed or has some amazing 5 wet-wheat start or something. Maybe all we can learn from that is that most civs probably have a better start than us :'(

Yeah, and this exact position would be much stronger with any of fishing, mining, agri, or even hunting (to make AH first possible).

Btw, I've been following PB8 very closely, but will catch up on PB9 which I haven't looked at much at all. It seems to be closer in skill level to this game so I'm sure there's things to learn there.

(May 12th, 2013, 10:43)WilliamLP Wrote: [...] but will catch up on PB9 which I haven't looked at much at all.

Lurkers always welcome smile ... although at 1000+ posts my thread would be rather bearish to catch up on crazyeye

I'm interested to see how you take your starting techs/traits/position and use them to greatest advantage popcorn

(May 12th, 2013, 13:20)Cornflakes Wrote: Lurkers always welcome smile ... although at 1000+ posts my thread would be rather bearish to catch up on crazyeye

I'm interested to see how you take your starting techs/traits/position and use them to greatest advantage popcorn

Thanks! I've started reading your epic thread. It's interesting that you two also started out as a fairly green "theory meets practice" team, probably with a little more Civ knowledge than we've got.

It looks like the game will be up later today. twirl

Plan is: log in, see if anything deviates from the sandbox that changes anything. E.g. do beaker costs match up, does tile bleed look correct using the flying camera.

Then if not, move scout 1NE, evaluate options.

This is silly... I can get my civ IV working on linux but without the expansion >.<

And we're off! I logged in, didn't see anything unexpected, moved scout NE. Results:

[Image: 0-scout.JPG]

Well, food is food, right? Does this sell us on settling in place? I have to admit, I was getting kind of fond of fishing -> pottery openings, skipping Agri. But this is probably better even though dry rice isn't spectacular. Updated sandbox to come.

The plains hill is fresh water, btw, if that matters for anything.

Also this shows I have not a clue about tile bleed. I thought EE and ENE were grass forests, no idea there was a hill and a plains. Desert kind of sucks.