Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] WillPlunder as Mehmed of Arabia: Noobs meet world

I can tell you my workflow: I created a subfolder of "Public" within Dropbox's web interface. Then after uploading the image, I right click on the dropbox list and use "Copy Public Link". That seems to give me a different kind of URL (with /u) than you're getting.

mmm I didn't have that option. Maybe it has to do something with the crazy copyright laws that Germany has >.< (I can't watch half of all youtube movies for example!)

I agree, I think SIP is, definitely in the long run, better than 1W. 1W opens 3 inconvenient tiles in the west that we won't use for a very long time, in exchange for loosing the rice and a grass hill (and +1 hammer+1 commerce)

How did you get to grow to size 2 at turn 10 and getting a warrior out in SIP-1?
We need 33 food to grow, and we can get max 3 food from the best tile (dry rice). In my head it doesn't add up.

For my image-problem.

I found some work-around via google-drive. (I edited my previous post not to clutter things too much). But it is strange I can't get dropbox to work properly.

Also, everybody but Azza settled SIP :P Are we the only ones with a difficult start or are we overdiscussing things? crazyeye

We only need 22 food to grow, as far as I can see. So for SIP-1, I think I did 1 turn on a plains forest to get the warrior T7, then three turns on the rice.

We were the only ones who hadn't played and I don't want to be "that guy". So I settled in place, moved the scout 1NE after the turn roll. I think SIP-2 is marginally better than SIP-1. Worker first gets the first WB out later so is a little behind in tech. But overall growth is a little faster, and it gets 13 more worker turns early, which will be useful down the road. (Haha, you see what I did there?)

Oh wow:

[Image: 1-scout.JPG]

My first thought was did the clam reproduce or what? lol I hadn't even considered that there could be seafood in the fog. The banana is a candidate 2nd city site I think? Where's the happiness??

NE for the first scout move was obvious. Thoughts on his second move? Oh, city names are only 15 characters, got one for the capital?

Demos at the end of T0: (Want to figure out the percent of the map that's land, based on the domination threshold?)

[Image: 0-demo.JPG]

[Image: 0-demo2.JPG]

Ok, I said I wasn't going to microanalyze demos, right? But turn 0 is pretty important.

Someone has an all-land capital.

We're the only ones building a worker with the EXP bonus.

Rival average land is 6555, so multiplying by 9, total rival land is 59 tiles. Including us, that's 66 tiles claimed by players. Among rivals who aren't Azza, average land tiles is 59/8 = 7.375. So I think most people are on water.

We have 0.34% of the world's land area with 7 tiles. So there are ~2059 land tiles in the world. Anyone who can tell me if I can know the dimensions of the map? Is it always the same for large cylindrical?

I don't know how Azza factors into Life Expectancy. But since ours is much higher than average, it might mean we have a high number of forests compared to everyone else?

MisplacedCapital 16 chars :'(
unimp.grassland 15 char.

Pasta al dente ? (pizza and pasta theme)
Or maybe more appropriate
frutti die Mare

I should learn to read properly, the website I checked listed the city growth requirements for epic speed. bangheadbangheadbanghead

Yes, we are really low on happiness. We'll have a lot of healthy grumpy people rolleye
Maybe we can coin a religion early?

I would think scout SE? North seems to be rather uninteresting with a lot of desserts. While in the SE there seems to be some lush grasslands. Does that grass hill SESE of our capital have fresh water?

By the way, what about naming our units after famous Williams? My personal favourite is "Willem van Oranje" ,-)

What about our opponents' food?
I get 4.5 food on average. That means that about half of them are with a food resource in the first ring!

Yes, noob mistakes are going to be hard to fit into 15 characters, sadly.

With the scouting, there's a lot of interesting stuff here. The grass hill to the SE is not fresh water, I hovered over and I think tile yield shows it too. But there is a river down there. I wonder what kind of land form that is to the west? A site to claim the corn and share a couple of clams with the capital will be a high food city. Is asking for gold or grassland gems too much here? lol

We're going to get a warrior T16 with this, so one option is scout the SE with him, and use the scout to go somewhere else. It feels more efficient that way since the scout has a head start? Maybe go to the desert hill for the free 2 tile vision, then either W around the water or circle back around SE or even go N for finding other civs?

Without knowing more, the religion / monarchy path is looking good, isn't it? I don't think we want to go for a religion before pottery, but if Buddhism or Hinduism is still open right after I wouldn't hesitate. I'm still eyeing the Masonry and GLH path which naturally would give us a good start for Judaism. Also we naturally want CoL early because we're ORG.

Oh, where do you get 4.5 average food from? I just see rival average 4, rival best 5. (5 could be a lot of things, flood plain, settling on a banana, first ring food, etc.)

4.*9. /8. since Azza didn't settle yet.

food plain gives one un-healthiness right? so we could see that in life expectancy.

Also, goods, rival average = 1 and best rival is 3. That does suggest a 3/0/? tile for most of our opponents.
The average GNP (14*9)/8 = 15.7 is close to ours. (how can it be lower????) so I guess most of them are non-river tiles.

(also noob question: how is GNP calculated?)