I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] There Can Only Be One Suttree - French Fredrick - LOL, Sut?

CITY REVIEW
*Ivory is connected and Clingmans is at 20fh/t. Probably should have mined one of the riverside grass hills instead, but when I planned things out I was concerned about wasted food. Workers passing through will chop a forest in to the settler next turn (prechopped once on my way to the ivory) to avoid wasting worker turns.

*Granary is in at Newfound and the city is max'ing food just as Silers slows to time its own granary build. The two important floodplains cottages are up, so the Newfound workers are free to road to the next city site. After finishing the Silers granary chop, a lone worker will finish cottaging the riverside south of Newfound. My fourth worker will join a new worker built at Clingmans to chop out the galley for my copper/island city site. The +2 trade routes will be nice.

*Silers grows next turn and will work the floodplains cottages until Newfound can take over. Then ivory to get enough hammers to whip in the granary. I'll slow build a barracks next, storing hammers for an eventual two-whip.

EVENTS
*Borders of Sisu's second city spotted - he probably hasn't popped borders so the sign on the overview map is wrong. I'm going to pop my chariot "Son of Meta" on to the signed hill and see if I can do some diplomacy in a game without diplomacy. If Sisu has left the city undefended or with a warrior or axeman, I might be able to scare him in to a 10T peace. Or not. In any case, I'll have fun.

DEMOS
[Image: ekq3VeQ.jpg]

OVERVIEW
[Image: qyxi3c6.jpg]

My attempt at gun barrel diplomacy....

WAR

PEACE

I don't understand. Why haven't you razed the city?

Sisu accepted peace without even looking at the map.

@Gavagai
I moved to the hill this turn, declared war, then offered 10T peace. I really didn't plan to attack (dry whipping a warrior would give me only ~58% odds to burn the city next turn) and, in fact, it is my major foreign policy goal to maintain peace with Sisu for some time.

The warrior you see in the screenshot is covering a worker chopping a forest. Presumably Sisu was concerned about an attack from the south and wanted to remove cover. It's true the chariot could seriously mess with Sisu's micro, but here's the thing:

1) I believe Sisu is sandwiched between myself and Xenu - Sisu is my only neighbour by land. Sisu is dumping EP's into Xenu and ignoring me. He settled his second city north - ignoring the horse site to his east.

2) There is no contested land between us:

[Image: VtTvq87.jpg]

*14T of territory between caps.
*Newfound/Silers claim up to the 7T border and the culture of my sheep city will extend across the border.
*The borderlands are crap

The land I want is immediately adjacent to Sisu's cap - no skirmishing - any conflict over that land would mean total war with Sisu. I could try to roll Sisu sooner rather than later, but that would probably cost me the game to civs that spend the early game making profitable investments. In particular, it frees up Xenu to tech his way towards Cataphracts.

Peace with Sisu costs me little and motivates conflict between Sisu and Xenu. I have plenty of expansion room for now and a solid core. Revealing more of the map (damn you bear) will be the test.

Interesting play smile

Loved the bear scene. For a second a thought you were going to have it be a guy in a bear costume, but the personification does a great job showing how domesticated the bear is
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

(June 13th, 2013, 13:10)pindicator Wrote: Loved the bear scene. For a second a thought you were going to have it be a guy in a bear costume, but the personification does a great job showing how domesticated the bear is

To be clear - that was a passage from the novel Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Thought Nicolae might like it.

(June 13th, 2013, 14:18)suttree Wrote:
(June 13th, 2013, 13:10)pindicator Wrote: Loved the bear scene. For a second a thought you were going to have it be a guy in a bear costume, but the personification does a great job showing how domesticated the bear is

To be clear - that was a passage from the novel Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Thought Nicolae might like it.

I really should read him....
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

CITY REVIEW
*New city - Charlies Bunion - is founded. Will be a whip farm and then transition to a hybrid city.
*Clingmans finishes a worker next turn, chops out a galley, then settles the copper site t69.
*Newfound will soon stagnate on a worker and wait for Writing to come in on t66.
*Silers whipped in a granary and will take over food from Newfound to slowly build units.

EVENTS
*Flawless victory on a barb warrior to get a promotion on Son of Meta.
*FINALLY, someone founded a religion: Sisu! Superscript is the holy city, near enough I'm hoping I get a spread since the goal is to make it MY holy city. Surely Sisu is going for the oracle; he has enough forests that he ought to get it..

DEMOS
[Image: 8oJHqRL.jpg]

OVERVIEW
[Image: OaITXPz.jpg]

CITY REVIEW
*Starting to form a long term plan - Charlies will instead build a library and take over gpp production as Newfound grows after Monarchy.

EVENTS
*Wondering how aggressive I should play in the West - I shouldn't cede that land, nor should I be pushed off my game plan.

DEMOS
[Image: LGdhY3A.jpg]

OVERVIEW
[Image: SgMs7Sr.jpg]