I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] There Can Only Be One Suttree - French Fredrick - LOL, Sut?

How do you feel about that funky culture south of your capital?

Have you considered the great lighthouse? You have enough forests to one-turn it with chops and whip overflow.

Though I guess it's getting late for that.
If you know what I mean.

@NobleHelium
I really want to see what's on that island. SOON.
I still think the exceptions for city-distance/culture between continents are weird.

@Zakalwe
Yes, very much. Thought about ignoring Writing and going for the GLH instead - decided to stick with the plan. I do, however, think some of my assumptions about wonder/tech/expansion timelines for the other players might be wrong. So maybe this was a poor decision.

To this point I've thought that researching EVERY SINGLE WORKER TECH before bronze working would disqualify me from an early wonder/unit rush, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Zakalwe was right, I could have chariot-rushed Sisu.

My provisional plan is:

1. Bulb math, chop units.
2. Monarchy, grow.
3. CoL, t100 Golden Age -> 2xMerchant(Currency,MC), 1xScientist(Academy)

Why bulb math? That seems like overkill to me, if you just want to chop units. Why not just skip it instead, since your next goal is monarchy, and math isn't a prerequisite for that. And just save the forests until you do have math.
If you know what I mean.

(June 19th, 2013, 03:12)zakalwe Wrote: Why bulb math? That seems like overkill to me, if you just want to chop units. Why not just skip it instead, since your next goal is monarchy, and math isn't a prerequisite for that. And just save the forests until you do have math.

Yay, someone took the bait! mischief

1. I want math now because it powers the chops that provide the units that provide the hereditary rule happiness. After the happy cap is relieved with currency/calendar, those units support the catapults that allow for aggression in the early 100's. Also chops are very important now to set up new cities.

2. I don't understand why bulbing mathematics is bad.

Here are my handwavy thoughts:

HANDWAVE MK I - Math costs 401 beakers in this game. Discounting the prereq bonus, that's ~334 raw beakers. If we approximate the growth rate in the game at 1/t = 30, that's equivalent to ~11b/t. The return on a settled great scientist with library is, say, ~9b/t, and at 50% science I would need a city producing an average of 44 commerce/t before t108 to match with an academy - t108 is my estimated due date for another great scientist.

HANDWAVE MK II - I'm not actually bulbing mathematics. That is, the bulb gets me math no earlier than if I research it myself. Rather, it gets me mathematics and then Monarchy 401b earlier. Is bulbing Monarchy bad?

I'm sure this is bullshit, but it describes how I think about the game. Why am I wrong?

EVENTS
*Waiting. New potential city site on the map. Xenu double whipped twice, including his cap, last turn. Remember to check power next turn.

DEMOS
[Image: dQxpgw3.jpg]

OVERVIEW
[Image: CiaSllD.jpg]

Personally I think monarchy is also a cheap tech to bulb.

It may be good under the right circumstances, though.

Mostly I'm just questioning everything you do so that you get a chance to explain yourself and check your own logic. smile
If you know what I mean.

For me, it comes down to if I really believe my investment in the tech tree doubles every 30 turns. If that's true, then bulbing a 400b tech t78 is the same as bulbing a 800b tech t108 is the same as bulbing a 1600b tech t138. And that seems like a pretty good deal.

EVENTS
*Not much - I'm sure other threads are more exciting. Congrats retep, and ITS ABOUT TIME WilliamLP! Hopefully this makes retep a target.
*oooh new toolbar is nice! Thanks mods.

DEMOS
[Image: 4fWSZLR.jpg]

OVERVIEW
[Image: 1IkzF2U.jpg]