I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] There Can Only Be One Suttree - French Fredrick - LOL, Sut?

I think his plan is SE of the corn, between corn and cows.

If the barbs are disrupting that you could settle 3E of the capital.
If you know what I mean.

EVENTS
*Settler is finished, but of course the bear decides to pay a visit this turn:

The warrior retreated to defend the settler/worker against a possible wolf attack from the NW. If the bear moves one south on to the planned city site, then I will be forced to settle in place. If it moves anywhere else then I'm fine.

If I settle in place, the ivory city will be forced to pop borders to catch the wheat and I'll farm the floodplains shared with the ivory site.

Why all this effort to settle so far? The only workable city site that shares food with the cap is the tile 3E of the cap suggested by Zakalwe (the tile 9-6-6 from the cap abandons the fish to the ice island). But this site kills a riverside grassland and leaves the silk without food.

So I settle independent of the cap. The nearby sources of food are the floodplains and the wheat. Settling SE of the wheat jumps out as the best option:

1) I can immediately farm the wheat and pasture the cow.
2) I improve the marginal riverside plains tile by settling on it and preserve the riverside grass forest S of the planned city site.
3) Without popping borders, I can settle the ivory site and share +5 food between the two, +10 total for the two cities.
4) Without popping borders, I can whip - maintaining 7/8 pop between the two cities working Corn, Cow, Ivory, and plenty of riverside cottages.

Let's see how the next turn plays out.

Even if the bear moves 1S, isn't it better to just wait one turn for him to move again? Or can he decide to stand still?
If you know what I mean.

(May 29th, 2013, 18:08)zakalwe Wrote: Even if the bear moves 1S, isn't it better to just wait one turn for him to move again? Or can he decide to stand still?

The bear could move SE the turn after, delaying another turn. So I would burn a city turn and one worker turn for only a chance at the better site. Might be worth it, but I'll wait to see if I have to think it through.

EVENTS
*WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
*Newfound Gap is settled in the face of not one, but TWO barbarian bears.

*Note that my post header will now show break-even research rate.
Am using binary research and no hurry to get mining, so ETA is actually 3T.
Every commerce counts!
*Got graphs on Sisu this turn - I'll look at them later.

NOTE: Back in the start of PB9 I tested barb activity extensively. It is safe to settle a city in a tile immediately next to a barb animal (i.e. with the barb inside the first cultural ring). Barb animals will never move onto a tile with your culture, and the city center has your culture. If there is an adjacent tile free of your culture the animal will exit to that tile. If somehow the barb gets completely engulfed in your culture it will just stand stationary.

EDIT: lol you already knew this, and I'm a bit behind the times catching up on your thread

EVENTS
*Back to the grind for a while. Clingmans will build a worker, grow on to the horse, then grow to max building workboats. Newfound grows to size 3 building a warrior.
*In the mean time I'll build a collection of bear related internet pictures.

EVENTS
*No news.
*The collection grows:

I support it:
[Image: 51003KHvtbL.jpg]
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

EVENTS
*Mining is finished. ETA on BW is T44/45.

@Commodore - I'll add it to my summer reading list.