I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Kurumi & wetbandit serve you Hannibal's Breakfast Cocktail (of Persia)

That Hannibal of Rome/Portugal/England would be better with this start.

I'm very happy with Hannibal, great traits. BTS FIN is the best trait and it looks like we'll be working lots of coast at the start. CHM is very useful for the extra happiness and will let us sustain extra pop to work FIN-boosted coast or for our whipping pleasure.

I can't say much good about Persia knowing about our start. The one good thing Persia has is Agriculture; which doesn't seem to help us very much. There's nothing to say about Hunting. UB stinks, although the health boost will be nice in the cap if/when we get around to building grocers. Doesn't look like anyone else has a good UB before Steam Power, anyway. Immortals are OK, I guess; though I don't see us chariot rushing anyone to take full advantage of the archer bonus given we will be behind with a slow developing start. If anything, they will be nice barb defense.

Compared to everyone else, I have a soft spot for Joao, but I think we have the best traits. AGG Praets are a little scary, but hopefully we don't spawn next to them.

TL;DR version: Little synergy, if any, we have FIN and not-protective so it's OK.

Kurumi:

We also have to vote on:
Quote:From stalking Jowy's game organization thread, two rules issues we ought to hash out:

1) Great Spies. We've said that spies are banned and GSpies are to be used for settling/GA, but we haven't established whether Scotland Yard is acceptable and, more importantly, whether you can use GSpies for scouting. My personal view is Yes Scotland Yard, No to Great Spy scouting.
2) Apostolic Palace resolutions. I'd forgotten because the only time I bothered with the AP in SP it was to immediately win the game, but the resident can do all sorts of silly things with it (like force people to go to war or peace). I'd suggest we ban it outright, but the +2h for AP religion buildings is good for monk economies. Therefore, my suggestion is that we borrow from their game and Ban the use of AP resolutions (including its diplo victory).

Both seem fine with me, settle GSpy, ban AP resolutions.

(May 11th, 2013, 23:33)wetbandit Wrote: Kurumi:

We also have to vote on:
Quote:From stalking Jowy's game organization thread, two rules issues we ought to hash out:

1) Great Spies. We've said that spies are banned and GSpies are to be used for settling/GA, but we haven't established whether Scotland Yard is acceptable and, more importantly, whether you can use GSpies for scouting. My personal view is Yes Scotland Yard, No to Great Spy scouting.
2) Apostolic Palace resolutions. I'd forgotten because the only time I bothered with the AP in SP it was to immediately win the game, but the resident can do all sorts of silly things with it (like force people to go to war or peace). I'd suggest we ban it outright, but the +2h for AP religion buildings is good for monk economies. Therefore, my suggestion is that we borrow from their game and Ban the use of AP resolutions (including its diplo victory).

Both seem fine with me, settle GSpy, ban AP resolutions.

Well I like spies for vision, but I will get outvoted so we can just go with those options mentioned by Jowy.
Hannibal is a great leader indeed. We don't have a river (yet) but we sure as hell have lots of coast, so we'll have fun with our trait from the very start. Charismatic is an awesome trait. If we would land Stonehenge for any reason at all, we have 2 free happiness at every city, but even if we do not, we will build those monuments anyway. The less experience will come in handy when we start some warring.
"2, 5, 10, 17, 26, 37, 50, 65, 82, 101 (Standard)
2, 4, 8, 13, 20, 28, 38, 49, 62, 76, 92, 109 (Charismatic)"
(little cheat sheet for experience needed stolen from some guy over at cf)
As for Persia, Immortals make us immune to any early attacks provided we can build them. The fact they do get terrain bonuses means well placed pack of Immortals can give a fight to Spearmen, although it is not a great fight. Apothecary might seem weak, but it will be a good thing if we land on things like floodplains... Or massive food!
Techs are fine. I'd like Mining or Wheel instead of Hunting but we'll find a way.
Our combo is just a good leader paired with decent civ, nothing less, nothing more. That's the case for pretty much everyone in this game but there is someone I am so freaking scared of and it is:
Kublai Khan of Rome(Molach). If we land near this monstrosity there are two tactics: Kill it before it kills us or outrun it. Our traits are superior to them, so I think we'll outrun them with no problem. We must care for pink dots though, because they're going to be a pain to get rid of.
Next on the list is Huayna Capac of Russia(Sisu). Nice starting techs, great leader and absolutely devastating UU and they CAN get to it ahead of others thanks to their leader traits. As for early game it has no bargains. If they land near Kublai, I think he'll pay them a visit.
Now for a big tie: Frederick of France(Suttree), Augustus Caesar of China(Azza) and Joao the Second of Portugal(Kuro & BaII). Frederick is a decent leader, Organized is a great trait. Philosophical needs some leverage, but will come in handy. Starting techs are great, UU decent, UB mostly useless. Azza's combo has good techs, good leader and good UU. That's about it. Joao on his own is a decent guy, can get stuff running pretty quickly: he starts with Mining so it is always a headstart. As for Civ, it seems they might have fun with their Caravel replacement.
Another tie! De Gaulle of Byzantium(Bad boys) and Mehmed the Second of Arabia (William) Those two combos are here because of great leaders and terrible starting techs. Byzantium has a neat UU, so does Arabia, but they need to survive till then. Hopefully, those two leaders will let them!
Now for the two sad guys: Gandhi of Netherlands(Oxy) and Asoka of England(Retep) two lacking leaders, civs that grant them basically nothing besides OK starting techs. Those guys need to play a good game to get something out of what they've got.

EDIT: I am going to play with WB teleh provided us. Crazy stuff.
By the way, we need to think about naming pattern for our cities. I think art trends might be nice. We can also go with alcoholic beverages.
Yeah, I'm not happy about my past behaviour either. shakehead

I should stop editing my posts so I can beat the Bold Brickian Tyrants in post count and make Xenu scared of our spam capabilities.

Just found out teleh got us a wrong leader in the WB. Small oversight, I'll remake the map!
Corrected WB for PB11 Hannibal of Persia

Worker first and storming to BW is the best way to do it.
Worker first and Fishing->BW is worse, we have our second pop later, our worker later and don't get a warrior.

[Image: INQ3b0P.png]
I think this means war.

I'm glad that we have our first goal: win the Spam contest.

I will respond to the tech thread saying that we agree with Jowy's suggestions.

I'll take a look at the WB later tonight when I get home. I did some very rough spreadsheet calculations which I'd like to see in action.

Alcoholic beverages seems like a decent theme, perhaps we could go with something specific, like vodkas?

(May 12th, 2013, 11:45)wetbandit Wrote: I'm glad that we have our first goal: win the Spam contest.

I will respond to the tech thread saying that we agree with Jowy's suggestions.

I'll take a look at the WB later tonight when I get home. I did some very rough spreadsheet calculations which I'd like to see in action.

Alcoholic beverages seems like a decent theme, perhaps we could go with something specific, like vodkas?

I like your vodka thinking! I can supply us with Slav vodka names.

Spent a bit of time going through the WB and noobing it up on my spreadsheet.

First Premise: The spreadsheet actually reflects reality!

Second Premise: If we find an agri resource 2S, we go worker first and we celebrate with the vodka brand named for our capital.

Third Premise: I think the only move our scout can make that will inform us the most about where to settle is to the GL Hill 2W. If there is any seafood or food resource over there, moving our settler 1E and settling is a viable option. That GLH could be our 2nd city and will be able to share cows and clams with the Cap. The same could be said about the tile 3E of our cap as it looks like there is land there, although it wouldn't be able to share the cows. Scouting 1 S isn't going to tell us anything because we're not going to move the capital off the coast away from the 3 clams.

Short version of conclusions: I think we should rush fishing and then go mining->BW. If we go worker first, the worker just won't have anything to do for a long time. We start warrior, switch to WB as soon as we finish fishing, get one WB out, finish warrior, and then start worker. We are able to net all 3 clams on T37, start first settler at T38, and have size 4 cap. We'll have one warrior complete and another one with 2 hammers in case whippage is necessary. This also lets us squeeze AH in by T38 so we'll be able to find horses or copper with our scout by that point.

I think this opening is superior to worker-worker because it saves us forests and the first worker will be sitting around twiddling his thumbs waiting for BW to finish. The second settler is started later than the first option.

Like you said, I'm starting to embrace our slow start. After T37/38, we'll be able to figure out our tech path, sailing/wheel would seem to be the best options to me. Probably wheel.

Fishing-Mining-BW
turn Sz Food Hammers Produce Commerce Research Tech Notes
0 x x x x x x Move
1 1 2/22 2 Warrior 10 10/64 Fishing Settle
2 1 4/22 4 Warrior 10 20/64 Fishing
3 1 6/22 6 Warrior 10 30/64 Fishing
4 1 8/22 8 Warrior 10 40/64 Fishing
5 1 10/22 10 Warrior 10 50/64 Fishing
6 1 12/22 12 Warrior 10 60/64 Fishing
7 1 14/22 14 Pause 10 70/64 Fishing Fish EOT
8 1 16/22 2 WB 10 16/79 Mining
9 1 18/22 4 WB 10 26/79 Mining