For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[SPOILERS!] I am Molach. This is my thread. Kublai Khan of Rome

Ave Khan! Thank you for your oratory.

As I see you have not developed any form of portable currency to drop into the shallow dish by the exit, allow me to present you with some rice and a pair of healthy sheep as tribute. With your rich farming land and verdant pastures, surely these gifts will enhance your mighty nation. Simply bury the rice, not too deep, in some of your floodplains, and create a fenced area for the sheep and allow them to multiply.

Oh - your people have developed these techniques already, how silly of me - fields and fields of cattle!

And a suckling pig for your esteemed minister for planning, whose fond memories of the last time we met, linger in my heart. If you would convey my apologies for not visiting him since - our apothecaries treated me for a strange malady characterised by profuse bleeding of the ears, for some while after.

No, no, I'm sure he's very busy with your new settlements and the journey to my homeland is arduous. Long live Khan!

Regarding the chariot build, you can only overflow the cost of the thing you are building (e.g. if a chariot is 20 hammers, you can only overflow 20 hammers on the next build - so, if you make 45 hammers on a turn, you'll lose 5). I'm not sure about the cost of a chariot on normal speed, but I think you may end up losing something.

Edit: Just saw that you wrote the cost of the unit. duh No, you won't lose any overflow there, as far as I know.

Thanks for that reply Teleh, just the kind of donation I wanted.

And good I didn't lose anything by overflow. These lost hammers were turned into gold once upon a time, but no longer? Or is that RB-mod? I'm not well versed in the way of the overflow, but it seems a powerful technique.

Soo, was a bit hectic RL, still is, but have time for a brief update.

Overlord goes army.
[Image: civ4screenshot0434.jpg]
Would have liked worker here - or even barracks first. But more later why. At least he can do MP duty when city grows.

Weserübung (name was selected because I am Norwegish, and this was the code-name for the German attack on norway in '40.)
[Image: civ4screenshot0432.jpg]
Granary here. City will grow when the FP finishes, will quickly grow yet another size. Can whip it then.

And Fortitude. With overlord as capital and weserübung because I'm Norwegianish out of the way, can try to use names that fit.
[Image: civ4screenshot0433.jpg]
I certainly hope wetbandits falls for this name like Jerry did in WW2, yeah there is a mighty army waiting here so keep clear.
A bit of a gamble to found this, warrior on defense and chariot on scouting duty outside.

Overview. Two workers farming the FP, one worker chopping out workboat for Fortitude.
[Image: civ4screenshot0430.jpg]
Next project, a cottage for capital and road connections up for security.

Southeast peninsula. Where to found?
[Image: civ4screenshot0435.jpg]
Things will depend a bit on where Iron pops, I'll settle to grab that right away. I might fit two cities on the peninsula if I put a city on plains hill and one 3e of that. Probably for the best, as this map is a bit cramped? And a city either on the hill by 4th city sign, or north of that. Clams and riverland, so no super-city.

East - I just see a filler due east, probably on hill SE-S of horses. Just to straighten out the frontline. (Must be cautious about talking too much about straighten out frontlines. Next thing I know I'll be sitting in my bunker, eating my revolver while foreign-speaking hordes parade through my capital...)
[Image: civ4screenshot0436.jpg]
However to the Northeast I get one of the plains hills. I think I like the northern best - rice first ring, and claims more land while still being close to Weserübung.

And the Northwest. "City around here" or one north - food poor, but will have a slight surplus (can farm because of lake to the north) - will place my frontline versus wetbandit. This is why I put sign on the southern option - closer to civilization.
[Image: civ4screenshot0437.jpg]

And just see here.
[Image: civ4screenshot0438.jpg]
Wetbandit arming again. He has seized horses, so I suppose he built a chariot? Going to attack ole Molach, are you? Chariot and 3 archers, that could work. Damn this noob, ruining all my plans

(When you read this after the game, I do not really mean this, keeping us on our toes like this and paranoid is pretty effective. I might have built a worker now otherwise.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

Love the naming scheme. If you ever need some more obscure operational names, I can provide them.

lost hammers only convert to gold if its a wonder that gets built in another city (your city or another city). works for national wonders too. but very rarely do you ever lose hammers in other way, unless you start a built and then don't get back to it for 40 turns or so. the only change to rbmod is you can't get failgold to a wonder built in your own city, only if it is built by another civ. It still only applies to wonders.

to lose hammers to whip overflow you have to have more overflow than the thing you are building is worth. thats not likely to happen this early, unless you whip a warrior or scout something silly like that.
Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.

Thanks Bigger, I was thinking about an earlier version, where protective civs would whip/chop walls with stone hooked up to turn hammers (presumably lost in overflow) into a pot of gold.

Have played two quick turns, report next turn might be in order. Still only stonehenge has been built, no religions founded anywhere.

Iron working is still 7-8 turns away frown.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)

(June 10th, 2013, 16:38)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Love the naming scheme. If you ever need some more obscure operational names, I can provide them.

Thanks, I'm sure I will. Unless we go down in flames soon.

I'm thinking my 3-4 eastern cities can be goodwood, epsom & totalize...see if that makes Oxy sweat a little....

If I ever get to build praetorians, I'd show one in the west, to make them scramble to think of counters to it....but employ them in the east.

I am growing.

But am I growing fast enough?

Sorry again for unedited pictures, still a busy week for me. Damn students demanding I grade their papers when there's cartoons to be made and worlds to destroy.

Event log - Sisu got buddhism. Guess noone wanted to make that classical noob mistake of getting a religion, eh? Good play by him, good way to pop border, and he might have a clear run at oracle.
[Image: civ4screenshot0461.jpg]
Also showing is the east, where nothing much has happened.

The west. My chariot has kept on the forest NW of city, every turn going out and back to see if enemy units are inbound.
[Image: civ4screenshot0451.jpg]
There is an archer on same tile as my chariot, one in city with a warrior and one east of his city. None on the forrested hill with the worker, though. Around MY city, I put 12-15 hammers and a chop into the workboat, worker farming corn now, will finish in 3 turns. City grows in 3, so I'm actually a turn early. Now that border has popped, I'd like to chop forests in front of the city, for security, even though the granary might just as well get chopped out.

Cities. Capital took a whip, grew back immediately. Cottage on the 2 N floodplain will finish in 2 turns. Again 1 turn early, dammit. The whip was one of those overflow-things, I had the chariot nearly built, whipped and overflowed (overflew?) into a settler. Building barracks while growing - then be back on settler. After that settler I can grow yet another size and work another cottage.
[Image: civ4screenshot0452.jpg]
I felt settler was good here to instantly settle my iron. Yes, I'm assuming I have. If not I'll fight bravely, get archery and hole up in my cities, but that doesn't change the fact that without metal I'm dead. Be fun if metal is in that wetbandit/azza city - then I'd whip 5 chariots and take it.

Northville. Whipped granary here for 1 pop. Took me off working the farmed FP, so not 100% sure this was best bet. Some overflow into a chariot, soon I'll have a bit of security.
[Image: civ4screenshot0453.jpg]
This city will be the one that builds a library ASAP and starts running scientists to academy my capital. I can't see this far into the future, perhaps it will coincide with bureaucracy arriving? I can hope, surely nooone can plan for such things.

And Fortitude. I can do the simple things, like "get the Workboat, work the grain...but after that, what?" Plains hill should get a road in not too distant future to facilitate travel - so perhaps I should mine that? Then road, saves a movement point.
[Image: civ4screenshot0454.jpg]
Agg Warrior - str 2 - 70% defense - will beat one archer attacking. Assume archer gets combat I, that evens out with agg. And chariots, getting no defense - still wipes the floor with archers. With a road, I can 1-turn move chariots in and should be safe from wetbandit silliness.

Graphs and demo:
[Image: civ4screenshot0455.jpg]
[Image: civ4screenshot0456.jpg]
[Image: civ4screenshot0457r.jpg]
[Image: civ4screenshot0458.jpg]
[Image: civ4screenshot0459.jpg]
[Image: civ4screenshot0460.jpg]

Looking good so far. And by that I mean, Oxypheromone is behind in power. If iron pops up in a nice location I can be 6 turns away from a praetorian. A bit early, surely, to rush...get first cottage next turn...but noone said I couldn't terrorize these peasants.

One thing I was thinging about - I've stopped spending espionage on Azza (actually a while ago) and he stopped spending on me. We both have graphs, we both stopped. Now, wetbandit keeps spending. He also attacked and took a city off his neighbour, so that goes in his disfavour.

My troops in the west have received orders, arriving in a sealed envelope, that they, if they see an opportunity present itself, may
SHALL
...probably should...
SHALL
...shall assist Azza forces and hinder wetbandit troops any way they can, if conflict between those two should arise.

I dunno, help the weakling - can't have wetbandit grow too large too soon. He is getting ahead in food yield, even with building 3-4 archers plus a barrack instead of workers and settlers.

It's been rather quite around here. Any news about iron? When Azza's thread sits above anyone else's in the forum it's time for an update so I'll bump this for you lol