I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Another map script, this one's not mirrored: Torusland

Seven, question about the sea/ocean generation: is there a way to make more globular oceans possible (specifically to stop it being possible to move boats from a city on one side of a sea to raze a city on the opposite side) on a new setting? Or would that require a completely different design ethos (and code)?
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

What does that even mean? You mean oceans that stretch the length of the map so that you can't just move boats along the coast to the other side? Or do you just mean more circular seas, which don't stop boats from one city on one side of a city from razing a city on the opposite side?

Or do you just want bigger seas?

Circular seas and oceans like those found on the PB 1, and PB4 maps had oceans that were significantly larger (albeit less of them compared to what Torus world generates), and in many cases boats had to spend a turn on the ocean to move into position to attack an opponents cities.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

I haven't gotten this map, but is there a way to generate maps w/o the improvements?

It's one of the settings, so yes.

(May 19th, 2013, 19:49)SevenSpirits Wrote: So that's why I think it's OK to not have those resources guaranteed available to every player. The reason I prefer NOT to, is that all these resources take up valuable real estate. The spot they are on can't have another resource, and adjacent spots are also discouraged from having one. (Civ IV resource placement rules say it's not kosher.) So the more hidden strat resources you guarantee to each player, the more the area around their capital is going to be an empty wasteland at the start of the game.

Can't you make it so that these late game resources are placed at the end, and ignore these kinds of adjacency de-emphasis rules?

very nice map! the only issue I've noticed is that sometimes the prebuilt improvements are not 100% right ( i.e. lumbermill with no forest, grown cottages on resource tiles )

That's intended.

Just generated my first game with this map script and wanted to add to the adulation...Seven, well done!

BTW, I had the same experience as TheHumanHydra when I first copied the file and attempted to play - a "generating blank map" error. I'm using a Steam version of Civ, so maybe that's the common thread. I then copied it to the PublicMaps folder in the "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword" folder (in addition to the one in the "Beyond the Sword" folder) and after restarting Civ it worked.

Oh, and I'm using it with FFH2 EitB...works great.

Thanks for the tip, Mafro. I'm on Steam too; I'll try that out.