Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Another map script, this one's not mirrored: Torusland

I think that's a grassland incense next to a river.

(May 16th, 2013, 02:30)Sareln Wrote: Yeah, the forested corn was so unusual as to draw my eye before even seeing that the settler had landed on a rice!

Sounds like an interesting generation strategy.

If you wanted to port the map to something with out wrap...

Could you create virtual players at the O's and X's to force the actual players off the edge?

That's an interesting idea for a similarly land-based script that doesn't wrap. One non-trivial thing to worry about is how far to place the repelling stations off the edge of the map. Too close to the map and the players will kind of bunch up in the middle, and too far, and players will gravitate toward the edges. The trick is that the right distance is dependent on the map dimensions and the number of players, and I don't think it scales quite linearly with number of players because the arrangements for small numbers of players on a given map shape are going to be distinctive.

If you go for something like a pangaea or other kind of map style that puts water at the edges of the world, then you also add in the issue of the real map border being variable, but some coastal starts being OK as long as you can expand in several directions....

I really think the best way to balance people on a map like that is going to be along the lines of novice's map balancer tool, basically paying attention to which players are going to control which bits of territory, and adjusting players to be closer to the center of "their" territory while still of course placing some value on keeping away from opponents.

Interesting map. I wonder if you could alter some variables to make it work as something other than a pangaea type map though? Also, it takes a while to finish making a map, compared to most normal map scripts.

As an aside...unless it was a job as paid job as a developer, you guys would be wasted on Firaxis.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(May 16th, 2013, 15:01)Krill Wrote: Interesting map. I wonder if you could alter some variables to make it work as something other than a pangaea type map though? Also, it takes a while to finish making a map, compared to most normal map scripts.

As an aside...unless it was a job as paid job as a developer, you guys would be wasted on Firaxis.

What kind of map did you have in mind? Playing around with the water placement is fun, so I'd be happy to give something specific a try.

The longer map generation time is the start location stuff, by the way. The whole (probably overkill) 1000 iterations thing. wink Since it's not made for the mass single-player audience, I didn't worry about speed at all.

Just wondering if it's possible to use this method to generate maps like those seen in PB5 and PB8: mainly stringy continents and islands. I think it's probably possible if the water %age were increased but I think a lot of the time the map might end up with tones of 1 tile islands and stringy 15 islands rather than proper continents.

Having said all that, if we ever wanted to give a 30 player PB game a try I think this is the perfect mapscript. Just might take a while to find the map to play on wink
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(May 16th, 2013, 15:16)Krill Wrote: Just wondering if it's possible to use this method to generate maps like those seen in PB5 and PB8: mainly stringy continents and islands. I think it's probably possible if the water %age were increased but I think a lot of the time the map might end up with tones of 1 tile islands and stringy 15 islands rather than proper continents.

Having said all that, if we ever wanted to give a 30 player PB game a try I think this is the perfect mapscript. Just might take a while to find the map to play on wink

OK, I'm working on it.

Since my personal preferences go towards a map with more land (e.g. waterways, inland seas, or inland oceans options on this map), it would be really helpful to hear what aspects of a more water-heavy map like pb5 or pb8 you prefer, so I can focus on including those.

This is my first try:
[Image: Civ4ScreenShot0123.JPG]
Looks good, but I doubt that the resource under settler is very unlikely if we've got it first time each.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 17th, 2013, 00:35)Qgqqqqq Wrote: This is my first try:

Looks good, but I doubt that the resource under settler is very unlikely if we've got it first time each.

I wouldn't yet make that assumption, though it is a little interesting. Two samples is not a trend. (also, I imagine that Seven has generated quite a few more maps than the one that he chose to show)
Merovech's Mapmaking Guidelines:
0. Player Requests: The player's requests take precedence, even if they contradict the following guidelines.

1. Balance: The map must be balanced, both in regards to land quality and availability and in regards to special civilization features. A map may be wonderfully unique and surprising, but, if it is unbalanced, the game will suffer and the player's enjoyment will not be as high as it could be.

2. Identity and Enjoyment: The map should be interesting to play at all levels, from city placement and management to the border-created interactions between civilizations, and should include varied terrain. Flavor should enhance the inherent pleasure resulting from the underlying tile arrangements. The map should not be exceedingly lush, but it is better to err on the lush side than on the poor side when placing terrain.

3. Feel (Avoiding Gimmicks): The map should not be overwhelmed or dominated by the mapmaker's flavor. Embellishment of the map through the use of special improvements, barbarian units, and abnormal terrain can enhance the identity and enjoyment of the map, but should take a backseat to the more normal aspects of the map. The game should usually not revolve around the flavor, but merely be accented by it.

4. Realism: Where possible, the terrain of the map should be realistic. Jungles on desert tiles, or even next to desert tiles, should therefore have a very specific reason for existing. Rivers should run downhill or across level ground into bodies of water. Irrigated terrain should have a higher grassland to plains ratio than dry terrain. Mountain chains should cast rain shadows. Islands, mountains, and peninsulas should follow logical plate tectonics.

Yeah since had a bunch without...
Loving this map Seven heart
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

I've certainly seen dozens of starts and never one that was on a resource. But, I've updated it with a greater intolerance for this. (Not yet published.)