Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Another map script, this one's not mirrored: Torusland

(May 19th, 2013, 06:55)Oxyphenbutazone Wrote: If so, that means that either you are using a mod that is incompatible with the script(probably all mods except BUG) or you like misnamed the .py file in your public maps folder.

(May 19th, 2013, 12:23)Shoot the Moon Wrote: Check the extension type on your download. I had the same problem until I realized it accidentally came out as "Torusland.py.txt" with the .txt hidden automatically by windows. Getting rid of that fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help, guys. Unfortunately, neither of these seems to be the case. The file is named correctly, I double-checked the extension, and I run absolutely no mods.

I'm guessing this has to do with either that I'm running a Mac or that I play the game through Steam, or both. For example, my vanilla Civ IV game I did not buy through Steam; it has a PublicMaps folder under both Documents -> Civilization IV and Applications -> Civilization IV; perhaps the script needs to be in both? But my BtS Civ IV game I bought through Steam; its Applications -> Civilization IV Beyond the Sword folder appears to be invisible as a result, and I can only put the script in the Documents -> etc. -> PublicMaps folder. I don't know; I don't know anything about file structures or anything about computers; it's just a theory. The point is, the script name shows up in the menu when I go to create a custom game, but then the game says it can't find the script and spits out the weird thing I and Oxy described. If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate them; otherwise, sorry to sidetrack the thread!

Can one use this map for EitB as well?
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
- Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

I believe so (Mirrorland works and the terrain generation is the same).
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

(May 19th, 2013, 13:54)Yell0w Wrote: Can one use this map for EitB as well?

Yes, I've run a couple test games. I haven't seen any unique features, and I don't think Blessings of Amathaon works.

(May 19th, 2013, 13:54)Yell0w Wrote: Can one use this map for EitB as well?

It will place resources that are in FFH and not BTS, but it overrides a lot of basic map construction to place specific terrain/features/etc, and for this it only places BTS ones.

Posted another update.

* Mountain ranges setting produces somewhat fewer (but therefore bigger) chains. Krill, let me know how this compares to what you want.
* Bugfixes
* Implemented the "balanced strategic resources" option and made it the default. This tries to give everyone their own copper, horse, iron, and oil.
* Added an option to not place improvements too close to players' capitals and made it the default. If you want the possibility of an elf jump-start, turn it off. smile

Here's the download link again

(May 19th, 2013, 19:30)SevenSpirits Wrote: * Implemented the "balanced strategic resources" option and made it the default. This tries to give everyone their own copper, horse, iron, and oil.

But not aluminum and uranium? The former is definitely important for space race. The latter is likely irrelevant but maybe someone will play a game with nukes (possibly with a mod) someday?

(May 19th, 2013, 19:36)NobleHelium Wrote:
(May 19th, 2013, 19:30)SevenSpirits Wrote: * Implemented the "balanced strategic resources" option and made it the default. This tries to give everyone their own copper, horse, iron, and oil.

But not aluminum and uranium? The former is definitely important for space race. The latter is likely irrelevant but maybe someone will play a game with nukes (possibly with a mod) someday?

Correct. Aluminum is not needed for military, so if you don't have aluminum in your territory, IMO it's up to you to use your military to go get it. (This logic doesn't work so well for iron and oil, because often not having them makes it prohibitively difficult to go acquire them.) Uranium is not needed at all since we never play with nukes. (If we did play with nukes, I think we would do something to make them non-critical - i.e. oil would be enough to enable you to conquer a uranium source.)

So that's why I think it's OK to not have those resources guaranteed available to every player. The reason I prefer NOT to, is that all these resources take up valuable real estate. The spot they are on can't have another resource, and adjacent spots are also discouraged from having one. (Civ IV resource placement rules say it's not kosher.) So the more hidden strat resources you guarantee to each player, the more the area around their capital is going to be an empty wasteland at the start of the game.

Well I was going to say that since they appear so late in the game (oil included) they should not be considered normal resources for placement purposes. But your logic makes sense.

Some notes on balance issues:
-need limits on improvements, especially in the vicinity of the capital: recommend no hamlet/village/towns, and no windmills. Some flat/grass windmills are insane tiles.

-stone and marble need to be considered in "balanced resources".

-Placement algorithm needs more weight against nearby rivals. Better to have equidistant starts that get buffed, than a excellent site that's more crowded than the others.