Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

(July 24th, 2013, 08:43)Old Harry Wrote: The first mistake of many... And those are both great lighthearted-doom names, or we could have something like Abandon All Hope Land or the Ill-fated Empire or the Damned Disunited?

On scouting I think we should explore up to about a city-diameter away on the NE coast before circling around to get as much info for settling cities as possible. We can worry about contacting people once the known tech bonus actually makes a difference or we can get trade routes (not til alphabet right?)

Yeah, alphabet is the requirement for OBs. I have to say I'm bit confused on how known tech bonuses were changed, but at least writing is a requirement.

And about our brave scout, let's head NE then! It should still have at least couple of turns before it fulfills the prophecy of our naming theme and gets eaten! shakehead
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Name our units after meals then? Lunch, Dinner, Tea, Breakfast, Elevenses, Repast, Snack, Picnic, Midnight Snack, Afternoon Snack, um...

I thought known-tech bonus only kicked in when paper was researched? Or is that when it gets to 100%? Krill?

Ha! Meals sound good! lol
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 1

Suttree and Retep didn't settle t0 or t1. Our scout is standing on a pretty good 4th or 5th city spot, which needs Calender, Monarchy, Iron Working and a border pop to really be any use.rolleye

When our borders pop we'll be able to see the pink dots. Doing a bit more camera flying makes me think the yellow area in the North East is a lot of forest which will be slow going for the scout, so I propose that we make this sort of circuit to uncover as many tiles as possible ASAP, coming back for that area with a warrior or the scout once we need to move in defensive terrain... scared

Demos

I ended turn without picking a tech - how long can we delay for? I wonder if we'll see any huts by then frown

Yeah, lets head SE next, pity if we just missed a hut or a great coastal city there, but overall that land east of us does not look too promising in the near-term. I agree that it's more important to get south and west explored first.

I think we need to select tech latest on T5, maybe T4.. Unless we get it confirmed, let's do it on T4. That should be safe mischief
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Cool. I managed to fix my firewall (anti-virus program) and can now actually log in as well! dancing
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Can someone who knows tell me if I've got this right:

Quote:Known Tech Bonus changed to 25 (up from 30), enabled by Map Trading (so there is no Known Tech Bonus until you research Writing).The known tech bonus is multiplied by the number of techs that you have that enable map trading.

Writing enables Map trading, no longer enables OB.
Paper enables Map trading, Tech Trading. Requires Metal Casting as mandatory prerequisite. No longer requires Literature or Code of Laws.
Corporation enables Map Trading.
Scientific Method enables Map Trading.
Steam Power enables Map Trading.
Electricity enables Map Trading.

So once we get Writing we get a bonus on beakers of
- 25*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
Once we have Writing and Paper we get a bonus on beakers of
- 50*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
Once we have Writing, Paper and Corporation we get a bonus on beakers of
- 75*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
Once we have Writing, Paper, Corporation and Scientific Method we get a bonus on beakers of
- 100*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
etc until the bonus is 150%...

So it's not going to make much of a difference until we've got paper and met everyone.

Does the /17 change as civs get eliminated? So when we get paper it would be 50*[civs we've met with that tech]/[number of civs still alive] %

(July 25th, 2013, 03:47)Fintourist Wrote: Cool. I managed to fix my firewall (anti-virus program) and can now actually log in as well! dancing

Excellent! Have I made any other mistakes? scared

You somehow missed to irrigate that corn!
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(July 22nd, 2013, 17:28)Fintourist Wrote: I've been "working" a while with Mining->BW->Fishing stuff. Here is one of the variations, where settler comes eot36:

Details spoilered if you want to try:

• Worker (0-14)
  • Warrior (15-23)
  • Worker (24-28) Do not change to worker before the mine finishes, this way worker finishes when chop comes in with 60/60 hammers
  • Finish Warrior by working a mine (T29)
  • Start settler (T30)
  • Start WB, but do not grow by working a mine (T31)
  • Switch to settler and get 2 chops into it (T32)
  • Whip WB (T33)
  • Finish Settler with two chops (T34-36)
  • WB
  • Warrior

This gets a faster growth curve than the one that I posted last time, but is a bit behind in hammers and has two forests less. Probably still worth it though.

I've stuck this in the spreadsheet as "FT M->BW->Fish" - did I get it right? I also made a copy where we work a plains forest from t21-23 to get the warrior out six turns earlier, but it doesn't have the nice touch with the growth threshold whip so comes out two food ahead but 8 hammers behind. Is six extra turns of warrior-scouting going to be more useful to us than 6 foodhammers?

I've added another variant of M-F-BW that gets the settler t36, but it's way behind your M-BW-F on other stuff, so I'm happy to go with M-BW-F unless you can come up with something even more efficient...