For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

(July 25th, 2013, 04:38)Old Harry Wrote: Can someone who knows tell me if I've got this right:

Quote:Known Tech Bonus changed to 25 (up from 30), enabled by Map Trading (so there is no Known Tech Bonus until you research Writing).The known tech bonus is multiplied by the number of techs that you have that enable map trading.

Writing enables Map trading, no longer enables OB.
Paper enables Map trading, Tech Trading. Requires Metal Casting as mandatory prerequisite. No longer requires Literature or Code of Laws.
Corporation enables Map Trading.
Scientific Method enables Map Trading.
Steam Power enables Map Trading.
Electricity enables Map Trading.

So once we get Writing we get a bonus on beakers of
- 25*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
Once we have Writing and Paper we get a bonus on beakers of
- 50*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
Once we have Writing, Paper and Corporation we get a bonus on beakers of
- 75*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
Once we have Writing, Paper, Corporation and Scientific Method we get a bonus on beakers of
- 100*[civs we've met with that tech]/17 %
etc until the bonus is 150%...

So it's not going to make much of a difference until we've got paper and met everyone.

Does the /17 change as civs get eliminated? So when we get paper it would be 50*[civs we've met with that tech]/[number of civs still alive] %

Sorry, I meant to reply to this yesterday but forgot frown Yes, that is right, although I'm only tentatively sure that the /17 changes as people die.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(July 25th, 2013, 08:52)Old Harry Wrote: I've stuck this in the spreadsheet as "FT M->BW->Fish" - did I get it right? I also made a copy where we work a plains forest from t21-23 to get the warrior out six turns earlier, but it doesn't have the nice touch with the growth threshold whip so comes out two food ahead but 8 hammers behind. Is six extra turns of warrior-scouting going to be more useful to us than 6 foodhammers?
Possibly! lol

Quote:I've added another variant of M-F-BW that gets the settler t36, but it's way behind your M-BW-F on other stuff, so I'm happy to go with M-BW-F unless you can come up with something even more efficient...

Yeah, I also spent couple of minutes trying to get M-F-BW work. It's kind of annoying to lose so many forests so early as we do in the "BW first opening". In other aspects I managed to come pretty close to the results that we had earlier, but still slightly worse. Well, let's wait still a bit and hope that border pop or scouting gives us some good information and try then again.

Speaking of scouting, we have a new turn! jive I'm fine with SE-SE btw!
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 2

Thanks Krill, I guess we'll have to kill someone and check. thumbsup

Moved the scout SE-SE to reveal... Some cows! But lots of jungle and no huts. I'm frown BRick!

Also a lot of graffiti. Next turn we could move to the pink circle which will uncover the jungled pink dots and let us figure out what is on the other side of them. The green dot is a jungle hill, if any of the light blue dots are flatland we should move the way I've indicated, if the dark blue is flat then we should go that way.

Or we could go to the cow and then SE, because the red dot is flat land. I think I prefer this one but its a bit further out of our way...

All the guys who settled t1 sit atop the top cities thanks to their extra plains-hill hammer

Demos

Edit: I ended turn too.

I think I'll favor "S-Something" for our scout. The expected lifetime of our "meal" is so short that I would like to maximize our chances to reach the area W of us alive and thus find the best possible place for our 2nd city.. (Of course while still trying to reveal as many potential hut tiles as possible) It seems that despite the cows going east won't be our first choice (I hope! Jungle is bad! For now!).

PS. Thanks for both Harry and Krill for clearing the known tech bonus issue

PPS. Your scouting maps (and fog-gazing skills) are awesome! bow

PPPS. Can some dear lurker tell when is the last turn when we need to select the tech? I guess I should just google it lol
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I think we have a new turn! I'm so not used to this kind of lighting speed jive

How about we play this super complicated turn in the following phases:

1. We move S
2. You do your fog-gazing magic and then we decide the second step so that we move again two tiles next turn!

I would love to do something like this:
T3: S-SE
T4: SW-SW
T5: W-NW

However, if you feel strongly about moving first to cows, I won't murder you... lol

PS. I checked the "not select a tech"-thing. You need to select it latest on T5. I'm 99.9 % sure crazyeye
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Before I move the scout I can see your argument - animals start appearing t5 so from then onwards the scout is at risk. I've made a guess at scouting pattern after t5 and it looks like going direct can get us the most important info (about our second city) by t12 while going via the cows would be more like t15. I slightly favour the latter, but I can see the point of the former, once we've got the city info we can take more risks. I'll think about it a bit more and move in about 20 mins, so if you feel strongly let me know.

BTW - I think selecting mining on t4 would be wise.

Both are ok, we can go with the latter, just get us a hut! lol
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 3

So thinking about it I value getting the most possible info about our second city site over the chance of a hut, and over here is all jungle, so the quicker we get through it the better. Anyway, there really is nothing to see here... I think we should go this way next turn. Note retep (the icecream man) popped a tech from a hut after wandering for two turns. Should we have used our settler for scouting?

Demos

Blaah, that's a lot of jungle. Yes, I know it can be converted into a nice grassland area, but that requires such a big investment on workers, which we probably can not afford during the first 100 turns. So next turn "SW-Hut" seems like an obvious move. We want to be the third civ to get a free tech! please
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

And of course my fog gazing isn't quite as shit-hot as advertised - the jungle hill I spotted is (thankfully) a tile further south than I thought...