Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

Thanks Brick for the info! Just let us know and we'll make a quick decision if required. I just arrived back to Finland and have now catched up with settings thread. Familiarizing myself with RBMod still takes a little while though.

@Harry: I need to get some sleep first, but tomorrow I should have plenty of time to start spamming this thread!

@Harry vol. 2. Leader+Civ pairings are completely random right? What would be your dream traits? Do you know if anyone has posted some kind of trait/civ analysis applicable to latest mod-version? Something like that would be a nice reference point for evaluating our 1st assignment. (Without knowing yet how PHI & CHA were modded I would assume that we have at best an average leader+civ).

Damn, I really need to study that mod. And do it quickly. crazyeye
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

There might be some analysis in the rbmod thread in general discussion. From what I've seen and (very briefly) played, pro and org are good, exp is bad, everything else is balanced. I don't think anything about phi has changed and cha has improved slightly from vanilla.

It comes down to how confident we are with a great people strategy - I've never played one, but I'm happy to try it. Mali is decent I think, techs are as good as you get without agriculture and skirmishers could make us unpalatable early on.

I guess the mulligans are for a terrible combo like joao of America, so we should only skip this one if phi is bad. I wouldn't pick it, but I don't think I'd turn it down either. Should we flip a coin?

Brick - are we holding up second round choices for everyone?

Harry: technically yes, though now that's also up in the air since The Black Sword said in the signup thread he might be interested in joining as a new player or a teammate to someone, and I want that to be resolved first.

Ether way don't feel like you have to rush, it's an important decision and the game won't start til next week no matter what you do so if you feel you need some time that's okay. Just don't take another 4 days to decide or so, that might be a touch too long. wink

Phone just ate a brilliant post about p1 of plako's pb8 thread, fin being good too, India being good and a few strategy changes. It would have been game-changing...

Anyhow barracks give culture so between them and libraries we should pop every border. Slaving is less efficient, so 1- or 2-pop whips preferred, but not switching to it is possible with a high enough happy cap (cha?)

Thanks brick, just don't tell them its us okay? I've been being nice to everyone in the tech thread to make them want to be our friends and this could ruin everything...

Did I say how handsome you're looking today by the way?

(fin/pro India)

No I won't say anything about who's deliberating.

Why thank you!

pray to the random number generator, I can't help you

(July 16th, 2013, 12:07)Old Harry Wrote:
(July 15th, 2013, 13:32)TheHumanHydra Wrote: WilliamLP addressed the Lord Parkin name-thing recently and denied it ... probably not, but fun to think about.

But he would wouldn't he... nod

Damnit! Years of effort completely altering my mannerisms and my play style... all foiled by choosing a pseudonym that prominently displayed my initials. Curses. bangheadduh
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Ok, let's get it on! First of all, thanks Harry for signing us in here! I would have probably missed this and also strongly considered prioritizing my RL, but now that things are rolling I can't avoid feeling excited lol

And hello to Hydra! Great to have you with us! I think together with Harry we can promise to you and other potential (ded-)lurkers that a constant reporting will be performed even if we experience some miserable Mortius-type of early exit or some kind of crippling rush.

Practicalities & Approach
  • I will still be busy during the summer and have some weekends where I probably can't log in so it would be great if Harry you could be the responsible for making sure that we don't miss a turn. I'm sure that our communication will work, but it would be nice to have this somehow cleared and I thereby give you the full authority to make judgement calls (regardless of how crazy they are!) if the turn timer is about to run out wink
  • These big unbalanced pitboss games are supposed to be more fun than extremely competitive. But well, we are most definitely not playing for the second place here!
  • 17/18 players means that performing C&D would be a complete mess. Let's try to get graphs from neighbors, evaluate our rough position from demos and spend our time instead with sandboxing if we want to dedicate lots of time to this effort!

How to win this?
17 opponents and unbalanced map (although I'm sure that Brick is doing an awesome job!) means that winning this game might be impossible regardless of our actions. Getting competent neighbors and below average start while somebody is getting the double of our land with no extra efforts is a totally realistic scenario. E.g. PB8 had a huge amount of "crazy" wars and even if the history would not repeat itself there will be doors opening either for us or our opponents.

So as a conclusion, let's make event log our best friend and try to understand the big picture as good as possible! Meanwhile we must make most out of our land with careful micro. We are unlikely to get the best starting position, but we want to make sure that we are still in the relevant position in the mid-game when big wheels really start rolling. hammer

Also, having 17 players in the game means that if we want a wonder, religion or some kind of first-to-get bonus we really need to be ready for sacrificies. I really doubt we want to be part of early gambles. mischief

Other
It seems we have a nice diverse crew of players in the game. It's a pity that Krill dropped out. It would have been great to compete against him crazyeye

I have now done the first round of studying on the latest mod and currently I'm still slightly leaning towards rerolling our civ+leader. More on that in the next post! crazyeye
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(July 17th, 2013, 04:56)Fintourist Wrote: I think together with Harry we can promise to you and other potential (ded-)lurkers that a constant reporting will be performed even if we experience some miserable Mortius-type of early exit or some kind of crippling rush.

Yeah, my crippling OCD means I can't actually move a scout without documenting every option. Some people consider this boring but this is a website about 1 food = 1.6 production = 2 2/3 commerce so they can get over it.

I think it'll be a couple of months before things get complex and turnplaying becomes a chore. Even then I think my current games will have finished by then so happy to take responsibility for playing until you've got time.

I agree that full C&D would be pointless and we should concentrate on getting the micro as good as possible, but RBmod means you don't know what techs your neighbours have until paper. I'd like to try to track roughly where our closest rivals are on tech until then - graphs is probably the best way to do it, combined with score increases. I'm all for ignoring score from pop and land, but lets flag it whenever anyone gets a soldier-tech so we know when that big stack of catapults is coming our way...

Leader choice

PHI sort of cries out for pyramids and/or great library, but in a game this size you're right we shouldn't be aiming for wonders.
CHA I think might be a better RBmod trait then you first imagine just because slavery isn't as strong and we want to grow cities bigger earlier. To be honest since I realised the power of slavery I've probably overdone the whipping so I'm looking to cut down anyway. I mean, I can stop any time I want to...

Of the other options out there, Seven made this handy list:
Quote:Financial: +1 commerce on all non-river tiles that have 2+ commerce. +100% production of Bank.

Expansive: +2 health per city. +35% production of Worker, Work Boat. +100% production of Market, Aqueduct, Grocer, Harbor.

Creative: +2 culture per city. +100% production of Theatre, Colloseum, Observatory.

Charismatic: +2 happiness. +1 happiness from Broadcast Tower. -25% XP needed for promotions.

Protective: Free CG1 promo for archery and gunpowder units. +100 production of Granary, Walls.

Imperialistic: +100% Great General emergence. +60% production of Settler. +100% production of Custom House

Aggressive: Free C1 promo for melee and gunpowder units. -25% city maintenance [Not shown in trait description. Bonus not shown in interface. Bonus is multiplicative with other maintenance modifiers. Final displayed city maintenance value is correct and includes this bonus.] +100% production of Barracks, Stable, Drydock.

Organized, Industrious, Philosophical, Spiritual: No change from BtS

Based on my very limited experience, rumour and hearsay:

The ones I'd like are FIN, PRO, ORG, SPI
The ones I'd settle for are CRE, IMP, PHI, AGG, CHA
The ones I'd hate are IND, EXP

I'm not really sure how to value AGG or IMP, so those could change. I think the only reason to go for IND would be if we think everyone else in the game is avoiding it, but how do we know they haven't thought of this too? CRE is nerfed by Barracks giving culture and losing cheap libraries, so it's position in the middle tier isn't exactly safe...

So with each re-roll our chances are roughly 4/11 that we'll get something I don't want and 8/11 that we'll get something I do want. Except that a bunch of leaders got picked already, who will presumably have good traits, so those odds will skewed against us by an unknown amount. banghead

Civ choice
I like Mali well enough
- Skirmishers are exactly the sort of early UU that we want to deter aggression and perhaps use to annoy our neighbours until we're ready to go conquering.
- The Mint is rubbish
- Mining/Wheel are both decent starting techs, but if we have a couple of different food-types I think our start will be slow.

Conclusion
I wouldn't be totally upset if we were stuck with this combo, but the odds of rolling something from my likes trait list and getting slightly better starting techs mean I'm happy to re-roll if you want to.

I see both saying reroll, wanna make that call now or wait for fin tourist to confirm?

Edit: oh wait he said he was going to write more on it I missed that