For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Fintourist and Old Harry have nothing to see here

(July 21st, 2013, 10:49)Old Harry Wrote: Did the extra commerce from working the fish speed up BW at all?
A bit yes (EOT 28 IIRC), but not really in a significant way as with this start we don't yet have population to whip or workers ready to chop.

Quote:And did workboat->worker get the fish netted earlier or around the same time as corn? I like getting the food capacity up nice and early, and until we have BW I don't know that those lost worker turns are as useful. I'll have a go at it and see what I can do.
Fish gets netted on T16 IIRC, so earlier, but of course corn comes online later and worker does not have time to mine the hill if we want to start chopping immediately. Those worker turns accumulate and I think they will matter in our attempt to get city 2 functional as fast as possible.

Quote:I've corrected the 9/6 typo in v4 cry
lol
cry

Quote:Also spent a while trying to make a more easy to follow version on other tabs, do you want to use these or is there a better option?

Lets use your noting style! thumbsup I like to try stuff in-game and create save stacks at this phase, but I promise to write everything down as soon as I have a concrete suggestion!
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

So I've put Fishing->Mining->BW on a new tab, it gets the settler eot38 with one worker or eot41 with two workers. Also a warrior and two work boats. Did you get it quicker than that?

The tech rate is pretty good, we could get pottery eot36 or Hinduism eot43...

I've had a go at tidying up Mining->Fishing->BW too. The slower tech rate means we start chopping and slaving two turns later, we can either get the settler eot36 with one worker or eot40 with two (the warrior and two work boats go without saying) there is a lot more overflow that could go halfway to a granary here.

Pottery is eot36 again and I like this one better.

The only issue with both of these is the lack of military, have we got an idea of how far apart Civs will spawn?

M->BW->Fish could still do with a lot of work, whipping early makes it hard to get it up to a decent size quickly.

Have you looked at scout first by any chance? tongue

And by the way:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=299483
gives a load of good barbarian info:

- Animals start to appear t5.
- On normal speed Monarch they stop appearing once there are 1.5 cities per player and t25 has passed.
- Warriors etc will start to appear instead.

Oh, and barb units can't spawn within two tiles of an existing unit, but cities can be founded so long as they are in the fog.

And they don't do much of their own teching - they just get a big bonus on techs known by players in the game, so once everyone has bronze working expect to see axes and spears, but there probably won't be any archers...

Nice sandboxing! thumbsup

I have to admit that I haven't had time to do further testing or check your openings yet (I'll do that!). But do I read you correctly that you are also still leaning towards mining + worker first start? I should have time for planning later today & tomorrow, but it seems that we are not in a huge hurry and have a consensus for the first couple of turns?

I would not worry about warrior rushes from our opponents. In order to succeed we need to take some risks and if we are unlucky we can always 1-whip two warriors (2nd with overflow). (I don't know how far apart we are) lol We are getting BW early enough for that. Our first need of military should relate to the safe transport of our settler to settle our 2nd city. At that point barbs are very likely not yet entering our borders (as the link explains).
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

No rush with testing until we can move our scout and see what is in our BFC. Then a huge rush lol - do we get a longer turn timer on the first turn?

I finally got to the end of the lurker thread for PB8 and there are some interesting comments there about how slow Xenu started the game. Which make me wonder if two work boats and two workers before our first settler is overkill? We should check how quick he can be ready with just one of each...

Also it'd be nice to think that the hill 1e of the corn could be copper - I wonder how that would speed things up?

So guys, I must confess I don't really know when it comes to trait evaluations in this mod, other than I think we got a fairly lackluster combo, and that I don't really do opening sims, just play it out intuitively, doing some mental calculations while in-game. So I'm not sure how much help I can be with this. frown Um, yeah ... well, I did warn you I might not be the best dedlurker! wink

So guys, I must confess I don't really know when it comes to trait evaluations in this mod, other than I think we got a fairly lackluster combo, and that I don't really do opening sims, just play it out intuitively, doing some mental calculations while in-game. So I'm not sure how much help I can be with this. frown Um, yeah ... well, I did warn you I mi

(July 22nd, 2013, 05:18)Old Harry Wrote: No rush with testing until we can move our scout and see what is in our BFC. Then a huge rush lol - do we get a longer turn timer on the first turn?
I think the first turn should have a pretty long timer, I hope we need it lol

Quote:I finally got to the end of the lurker thread for PB8 and there are some interesting comments there about how slow Xenu started the game. Which make me wonder if two work boats and two workers before our first settler is overkill? We should check how quick he can be ready with just one of each...
Yeah that's my hypothesis reg my first 40turn plan as well.. I mean, lets try openings where we skip the 2nd WB etc. Although the second work boat is pretty much ment for our second city with the assumption that we are going to settle there and it enables a quick start over there. Consequently, early scouting will therefore affect our plans quite a bit.

Quote:Also it'd be nice to think that the hill 1e of the corn could be copper - I wonder how that would speed things up?
My bet is 1 turn off from settler ETA smile

@Hydra: No worries, I think both me and Harry know by know where your true strengths lie wink I'm sure we are going to need your advice as the game gets in full speed. hammer
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Yeah THH, you're right on the leader combo, having seen all the other pairings I'd probably opt to re-roll (although I'd want to see a list of who was left - there can't be anyone good surely?) Anyway we're going to have our work cut out for us. But as Fintourist says the map is more important than our civ - fingers crossed for good bad neighbours...

Don't worry about joining in with our nerd-fest - two of us fighting over tile assignments is quite enough as it is (I just shared the spreadsheet with you if you want to see the full geek-horror). We recruited you to make sure we don't smoke too much, to prevent you helping out any of the other teams and, more importantly, for the naming scheme - there are still a bunch of gaps and really weak city names, my military history is pretty patchy:

Cities
Agincourt
Bay of Pigs
Cannae
Dunkirk
E
Finland 40/41?
Gallipoli
Hastings
Isandlwana
Jamestown Massacre
Königgrätz
Light Brigade or Little Bighorn?
Midway
N
O
Peterloo
Q
R
Somme or Stalingrad?
Tet Offensive or Thermopylae?
U
V
Watling Street
X
Y
Z

Do we bother with names for units and workers too?

Edit: and lol at your new sig!

Rorkes Drift
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18