I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[SPOILERS] Krill - PB15 - Khan supports involuntary euthanasia providers

(August 26th, 2013, 13:11)Krill Wrote: If the scout gets moved SE, it will uncover 5 tiles, 2 of which are adjacent to the pig and are statistically less likely to hold resources (and both are forested, which makes it even less likely). That leaves 3 tiles, 1 of which is forested.

If the scout is moved 89 onto the grass hill, it should uncover a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 12 tiles, of which any could have a resource, almost all of which would be workable if I settled on the hill (in addition to the pig). That is where the scout moves if I want to maximize the chances of uncovering a better capital location. If the scout uncovers nothing, I can still use that information to judge whether I should settle in place or move the settler 6 to scout first, and then re-evaluate prior to making the final move with the settler.

Did not realize you started with a scout. My bad.
Mansa Musa of Zululand in PB14 - with Aivoturso

Well, Russia always starts with Hunting, so I'd start with a scout normally (starting screenshots can never take warrior/scout starts into account). We don't generally start players with warriors anymore simply because of gamble that the starting warriors walk across someone going worker first and killing them (Getting Mortius'd is the old term, from PB2). The argument that players should go warrior first generally doesn't work because if one player goes worker first and everyone else goes warrior first, the player that went worker first gets such a strong economic advantage if they aren't caught by the starting warrior.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Oh, I get that. Starting with a scout for everyone is a much better way to play. I was just being dumb about the screenshot.
Mansa Musa of Zululand in PB14 - with Aivoturso

Would a lurker mind suggesting one of the following things:

1. Change the fish for any land based resource other than dry rice
  2. Change the starting tile to a 2 hammer plant
  3. Change the hill 89 to a plains hill
  4. Put a pasture resource on one of the tiles 7, 8, or 9 of the hill 89 of the settler

Literally any one of these changes turns this start from (probably) sub-par for hte map to pretty nice.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Ok, I'll ask merovech to trade the pig for unirrigate rice, like you asked.

You know all that'll cause is I wander with the settler in a given direction and try to warrior rush someone.

That's what I expect from an agressive leader. Play to your strenghts!

BTW, incoming 2 food resources at the BFC's fog to make all this discussion useless (disclaimer: I have no idea what's in the fog in Krill's start).

Edit: maybe settle on the pig tile, that'll give you a faster worker!

Worker T12, move T13, chop not started until T15 though due to lack of commerce, chop fin T17 (40 hammers) move T18, chop fin T21 (80 hammers and finish the settler if going warrior>settler and swapping to a warrior on T18).

It's actually quicker to that first settler. It's just shitty after that. If there were a three food tile that didn't get improved to a 6 yield one...like a dry rice, I'd actually settle on it. Wet rice, well...I'd have to think about it after scouting.

(August 27th, 2013, 15:12)Krill Wrote: Would a lurker mind suggesting one of the following things:

1. Change the fish for any land based resource other than dry rice
  2. Change the starting tile to a 2 hammer plant
  3. Change the hill 89 to a plains hill
  4. Put a pasture resource on one of the tiles 7, 8, or 9 of the hill 89 of the settler

Literally any one of these changes turns this start from (probably) sub-par for hte map to pretty nice.

I'm not working on the map, but FYI if I were and I read this, I'd be much less likely to make any such changes than before. It would be quite unfair to the other players if your start got improved because you complained about it. And yeah, bitching about one's start is normally background noise, but this reads like an actual request, and I think it's inappropriate.

Seven, I know there isn't a smiley in that post, but it's meant as a deadpan joke.

The start's actually fine from a balance perspective, depending on what the other players have. I just don't like it.