Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

(April 10th, 2014, 14:06)Old Harry Wrote: Fintourist - for the scout move next turn I prefer the forest hill -

I'm fine with that too!

Quote:I think the first Warrior out will wander up, kill Simba and get sight over that water long before we settle city two, and there are probably bears around now, so bare hills are risky. I'll have a look at your save stack and see if your first warrior can do the same, but you're the turnplayer so final decision is yours...

See my edit above, in my version the warrior will be in place before the settler (so it can kill simba if it's still there), but has no time for too much wandering..

Quote:(Also I should make it clear that the fourth worker came out of city two, not the capital.)

I noticed, I did the same nod
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(April 10th, 2014, 14:09)Commodore Wrote: *nods* That's it exactly. Sleep time goes away, but a newborn isn't picky about being held whilst playing civ. Congrats, by the way.

...I'll be testing if that changes with two of them in August...

I was hoping to be iterating sandboxes all night with him gurgling in my lap, but I've been too tired to make anything add up so far crazyeye

Turn 23

More calendar resources! And there is so much rivers that our FIN trait is almost useless, well not quite. NW next?

Our worker finished the 2nd turn pasture and moves now to chopping duties. My suggestion is to move it S, but I promise to do some sandboxing before we play T24 so that the consequences are 100 % sure. We will now also find out whether we have copper, which might impact things.

I didn't take a pic of demos, but we are 5th in food, possibly higher next turn as we grow to size 3. That is of course very very relevant, but I had to state something positive after the harsh critique towards our scoreboard position :P (which partly is caused by half of the teams having popped a tech or two already) rant
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

NW is good, reveals plenty of tiles, then perhaps head down to the forest S of the sugar (sugar!). If the worker moved SW to chop I think there is more chance of forest spread (although he could get boxed in by the wrong forest spread).

With three Calendar resources already it looks like we'll be able to grow our cities vertically even before HR comes in. Adding the city E-E-NE of Alfie to grow cottages may not even be necessary at this rate!

(April 11th, 2014, 07:40)Old Harry Wrote: NW is good, reveals plenty of tiles, then perhaps head down to the forest S of the sugar (sugar!).

Sounds good. Another option after NW is SW-NW (and also W-SW), which also puts us onto forest tile if we want to go a bit further west before turning south.

Quote:If the worker moved SW to chop I think there is more chance of forest spread (although he could get boxed in by the wrong forest spread).

The idea of S-S forest (from capital counted) first is that the worker can move onto forest SE or S-SW of capital next and then to the forested hill W of capital. That's where I would like our worker to perform its 3rd chop so that it is immediately in position to road and mine that grassland hill (and then road towards our 3rd city).

S-SW forest is indeed better regarding forest growths, but based on my current testing

Quote:With three Calendar resources already it looks like we'll be able to grow our cities vertically even before HR comes in. Adding the city E-E-NE of Alfie to grow cottages may not even be necessary at this rate!

Let's hope so! Techs are pretty damn expensive in this setup so it's still a long way until Calendar though. I can see us falling in love with HBR, Currency, CoL and maybe even Construction before that though. Who knows! crazyeye
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Turn 24

Copper! Hut! crazyeye

I don't think the copper location changes our dotmap or plans. It will be in the 2nd ring of our 4th city and of course in the 3rd ring of our capital so it can be improved ~T50. It's a great 6-foodhammer tile, but because it provides only 1 food we still don't want to work it immediately and I can't see an attractive path that would include it in the first ring of our 2nd or 3rd city anyways. Of course we could settle a city W of copper and NE of sheep, but considering our lush surroundings and the fact that we haven't met anybody it feels both weak and passive.

I can see our 4th city working at size 4 pigs+gems+copper+grass mine in no-growth mode and making 12 hammers per turn and pumping us settlers and workers (and stealing wet corn from 2nd city when we want to grow it).

About the scout, I think the hut is calling me. :P E, NE-NW and then W? Then we go around that penisula thing and continue S/SW?

I haven't moved the worker yet, I will test couple of things and finish the turn a bit later.

EDIT: Updated Sandbox
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

scared its a bit risky, but yeah, let's leave copper to t50.

And I approve those scout moves. thumbsup

Here is an updated save stack
- It contains turns 25-47
- Until T40 I think it's something that we could actually play
- From T41 onwards it's not anymore "my suggestion" because I produced a 5th worker before our 4th city and I think I like my previous version more. I left the remaining turns, because they contain a relevant continuation especially for our 3rd city.
- I think it's actually quite a fun opening, there's a fair amount of build/tile swapping, Agriculture finishes just at the last moment with exact beakers etc.
- If there are lurkers, who are extremely interested in this, check the save stack or shoot questions. We probably discuss about this with OH via chat if he has too much free time :P

Btw, because I was logged in when the turn rolled it actually looks like we had popped a tech in turn tracker/civstats replacement. Not that we are going to do C&D, but just FYI. crazyeye
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I like the save stack, I think you're right that we need the fourth city before the fifth worker, the worker could help getting cottages up and running quicker, but city 4 raises the happy cap and builds the snowball.

Also whipping City 2 at size 2 on t46 seemed wrong neenerneener.

(April 12th, 2014, 17:36)Old Harry Wrote: Also whipping City 2 at size 2 on t46 seemed wrong neenerneener.

That's true as well, good observation! nod It was another try where I tried to be more clever than I am. smoke My switching games in the end converted 11 food into 11 hammers compared to just slow-building the worker at size 2, so I guess playing it simple is the way to go there.. If we would manage to get a 3rd good tile online at city 2 it might be worth trying to grow it more, but I guess we don't want to delay our 4th worker that much. (as said: from t41 onwards I think setting up the 3rd city is done about as it should be, but rest will be changed)
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3