I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

Guys if you could have choose you leader/civ what would you have taken?

(March 4th, 2014, 17:54)retep Wrote: Guys if you could have choose you leader/civ what would you have taken?

I think PRO, FIN, SPI and AGG may be the top traits now (in a huge map like this ORG loses a bit of it's shine and CRE lost cheap libraries), so Wang Kon (FIN/PRO), Saladin (SPI/PRO) or Mansa Musa (FIN/SPI) would be great - we've just played as AGG, so it'd be boring to do it again, but I could happily play SPI every single game...

Inca and India are still great, Egypt is good too, France and Ottoman's Musket UU's now get a much longer life due to tech cost increases, as does Spain's Conquistador. Vikings are much worse now...

So I'd go for Wang Kon of France, good starting techs and draftable CG1 two-movers with a long shelf life sound excellent to me. You?

I would have choose an AGG civ paired with SPI or FIN. So Montezuma of Aztecs.

Did you have a naming scheme already?

(March 4th, 2014, 17:54)retep Wrote: Guys if you could have choose you leader/civ what would you have taken?

For pure competitive reasons:

Getting ORG/PRO of Inca would be a reason to celebrate. (e.g. FIN/PRO and AGG/PRO of Inca would be obviously great too)

If India wasn't banned it would also enable strong pairs, EXP + ORG/FIN/AGG of India would give UU synergy and 1 trait for expansion and 1 trait for economy, but as even nerfed fast workers can be considered as an early trait taking two traits for longer term economy could be nice: some kind of mix of ORG/FIN/AGG(/SPI) of India would be pretty strong.

Third level of awesomeness would be building a pair around some nice AGG synergy. AGG Zulu would be great even though AGG maintenance reduction (-25 %) has some anti-synergy with Ikhanda maintenance reduction (-20 %): 0.75*0.8 = 0.6 --> - 40 % maintenance reduction combined (and not -45 %).

There might be some awfully good synergistic pairings, but I haven't really thought about this, because both here and in PB13 the pick method has been based on random..

If we prioritize fun over pure competitiveness then I agree that AGG and SPI are probably top 2 traits (while being actually very good as well). We have really enjoyed playing Montezuma in PB13. That combo suffers a bit in some maps, because it starts pretty slow and AGG's maintenance bonus really shines only in the mid-game before one manages to build courthouses. Later in the game ORG & FIN economic bonuses are clearly stronger (State Property pretty much obsoletes the economic part of the trait). But yeah, AGG+SPI is both fun and good.
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

(March 4th, 2014, 21:31)retep Wrote: I would have choose an AGG civ paired with SPI or FIN. So Montezuma of Aztecs.

Did you have a naming scheme already?

I think Aztecs are a bit map dependent - if there is a lot of food then Sacrificial Altar is great, if we get something like our PB13 wasteland we won't even need to whip every ten turns.

I was thinking of a guinea pig related naming scheme. Who could possibly attack Flopsie or Patch? I dunno if Fintourist will go for it though. Have you got any ideas?

@Fintourist - did you PM Commodore saying we like our roll already?

Guiney pigs are awesome crazyeye

and I will PM Commodore that we KEEP.
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Quick review of the re-roll round:
1. Q tossed away Ragnar of France, I think that was one of the very best leaders that people got in the first round (2 good economic traits, AGG has a synergy with Musketeers..) nono
2. Whosit got Hammurabi (AGG/ORG) of Vikings, that's awesome. nod
3. Krill + Novice and plako re-rolled too, I'm happy that they did not get Whosit's pair. Although I really don't want CRE Krovice as our neighbors (they got Willem of Babylon, which was Ruff's exact pair at first).. please
4. Ruff's, Williams and plakos re-rolls weren't too interesting. Small upgrades/downgrades read
5. I think all the re-rolled pairings are playable, but IMO the most likely players to go with a 3rd roll are plako and Ruff. Although I have no idea how Q sees the current situation after discarding Ragnar of France and if Krill does not feel like playing Willem then he just doesn't.. crazyeye (this is actually pretty interesting for the players, now they know exactly what are the 6 civs that might still change hands and they can speculate who will put their civ into the pool)
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Wait you guys are Montezuma in PB13? I have no idea lol
And yes I was thinking more of the fun side than the optimum play, but I love you though!

I was thinking Aztecs mostly because the Altar seems like something fun to use but of course BTS Aztecs sucks so almost nobody choose then. I admit of course that there are map dependent.

Also the thread was in the second page nono

(March 5th, 2014, 21:42)retep Wrote: Also the thread was in the second page nono

Thanks for saving us! nod

Btw, retep and other possible lurkers out there: We are planning to do an opponent analysis once pairings are finished, so if you have anything that you would like to see in it, now it's the time to express yourself!
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

The forum eat my post rant

In short, I was saying that I'll be happy to read anything that you would said about the other players, especially the dirty things mischief