I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

Not yet, hopefully in a week.

Next we have the Also-Rans - the teams that can cause trouble but won’t ultimately take the big prize:

wetbandit: Montezuma (AGG/SPI) of Japan (Fishing/Wheel/Samurai/Pagoda)
Evaluated by Fintourist
Civ and Leader: 3.5/5
Both traits are nice, but wetbandit does not have much that helps him in expansion phase
Player skill: 3.5/5
I know very little about wetbandit, but I’ve got an impression that he knows what he is doing
NACOR: 2.5/5
Solid AGG neighbor..
Old Harry:
Oh my god! He killed Azza!
Fintourist:
Could wetbandit be the dark horse in this race? Obviously we support Monty!

Ruff_Hi: Augustus Caeser (IND/IMP) of America (Agriculture/Fishing/Minuteman/Mall)
Evaluated by Fintourist
Civ and Leader: 2/5
Overall a playable pair, but you need to squeeze value out of IND
Player skill: 3.5/5
I think Ruff played ok in PBEM45, otherwise I don’t know much about him
NACOR: 2/5
IMP Ruff probably knows how to compete for land..
Old Harry:
Plays a lot of games, lets hope he doesn’t spend too long on this one
Fintourist:
Krill’s ranking put Ruff into Tier 7, but I’m sure that’s too low
TheHumanHydra:
Ok, this is one case where I can actually comment on the player’s skill from first-hand experience. Ruff seems to be aggressive and tactically competent. I’m sure he’s higher than tier seven too, since he’s at least as good as me (not that I’m good) and I ranked higher than that.

Cyneheard: Mehmed (EXP/ORG) of Egypt (Agriculture/Wheel/War Chariot/Obelisk)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Civ and Leader: 4/5
Leveraging War Chariots and cheaper workers to get more cities will pay off
Player skill: 3/5
Veteran, known as a bridesmaid. I’ve no idea why, but don’t expect him to fall for any cheap tricks
NACOR: 1.5/5
nono
Old Harry:
Has he played a game since PB5? He had a good thread there, but had Toku-Zulu Commodore as a neighbour...
Fintourist:
Alone for starting the RBMod thread (and constructing that fight odds tool) Cyneheard should belong to favourites.
TheHumanHydra:
That’s a lot of cheap buildings. Egypt as always is excellent.

The Black Sword: Gandhi (PHI/SPI) of Native Americans (Agriculture/Fishing/Dog Soldier/Totem Pole)
Evaluated by Fintourist
Gandhi is a nice leader and NA is decent as well. In such a massive game PHI suffers somewhat as it does not scale the way other economical traits do if you manage to conquer couple of civs.
Something went terribly wrong in PB13, but there were also good performances. Seems to be doing fine in PBEM53
NACOR: 3.5/5
Early UU, but Gandhi is not the fastest starter and TBS did not apparently start a huge grudge war when dtay crippled him in PB13
Old Harry:
I agree with FT
Fintourist:
If TBS puts together a decent early micro, Gandhi can get you pretty far.

yuris125: Tokugawa (AGG/PRO) of Dutch (Agriculture/Fishing/East Indiaman/Dike)
Evaluated by Fintourist
No synergies, but 2 strong traits (economy + early expansion + AGG extras) and a decent civ
Is it yuris playing, is it mack playing, maybe we finally find out what yuris is made of!
No scary early UUs, no aggressive reputation, but who wants AGG as his neighbor?
Old Harry:
Meow.
Fintourist:
Will yuris be role-playing Toku?

Molach: Genghis Khan (AGG/IMP) of Portugal (Fishing/Mining/Carrack/Feitoria)
Evaluated by Old Harry
If the map is watery then the Carrack could be a great way to early aggression, with AGG’s easy-to-get Amphibious promotions...
He’s Skandi, so he must be good, right?
He didn’t do a great job in fighting in the EITB game he’s in, but EITB warfare is just unfathomable, so I wouldn’t take that as a green light
Old Harry:
Let’s defend our ports if he’s nearby
Fintourist:
IMP Feitorias feel kind of empty without FIN, right Commodore?

WilliamLP: FDR (IND/ORG) of Mongolia (Hunting/Wheel/Keshik/Ger)
Evaluated by Fintourist
Civ and Leader: 3/5
I like ORG, Mongolia opens some tactics, slow start
Some domestic stuff in PB13 has seemed a bit smoke but overall William gives a solid impression
As long as we don’t get Keshik rushed..
Old Harry:
Very slow start, but Keshiks + Gers are nice...
Fintourist:
William prefers strict following of the rules, log-in behavior, etc. Playing in a way that does not annoy him might be impractical/difficult.

darrelljs + Ichabod: Joao (EXP/IMP) of Holy Roman Empire (Hunting/Mysticism/Landsknecht/Rathaus)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Nerfed EXP and a Hunting Myst start isn’t strong, Landsknecht is a great unit, but available so late on that it’s probably not relevant, Rathaus will recover the crashed EXP/IMP economy...
If Darrell makes a micro plan who knows what they can achieve!
On the fence here
Old Harry:
Will Ichabod forgive us for PB13?
Fintourist:
Oh please, please Commodore put darreljs and Krill next to each other..! crazyeye
TheHumanHydra:
Incidentally, restricted Charlie is a great expander now. Joao of HRE still has a triple bonus in that regard.

BRickAstley + Mardoc: Wang Kon (FIN/PRO) of Spain (Fishing/Mysticism/Conquistador/Citadel)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Civ and Leader: 4.5/5
The new Pacal, and while the start techs aren’t great the Conquistador has a long lifetime and some important advantages just when warfare gets brutal
Player skill: 2.5/5
Will it be Brick playing or Mardoc? I’d rate them 2 and 3 respectively (although I’ve not a lot to base that on) so that makes 2.5
We’d need to cripple them early to stand a chance...
Old Harry:
Be nice or BRick could delete our thread.
Fintourist:
Spain+lake, spain+lake, spain+lake… crazyeye
TheHumanHydra:
I really like Wang Kon now. Probably because I don’t even know how to rate things in RB Mod.

spacetyrantxenu: Kublai Khan (CHA/CRE) of Germany (Hunting/Mining/Kanone/Assembly Plant)
Evaluated by Fintourist
Civ and Leader: 2.5/5
Decent starting techs, CHA and CRE make planning easy, but that’s about it.
I think xenu has screwed up many starts, but he actually has the skills to do good stuff
Mostly afraid of xenu-rage directed at us tongue
Old Harry:
I think the traits will lull him into not trying hard enough thumbsup I’d put the NACOR higher
Fintourist:
Somehow it feels inevitable that by T125 xenu is out of the running, but that does not mean he could not still make someone’s life miserable
TheHumanHydra:
He will suttree us if we provoke him. If we fight him, we leave none alive.

Next we have the Unknown Unknowns - we’ll have to wait and see how we can treat them:

Bacchus: Churchill (PRO/CHA) of Persia (Agriculture/Hunting/Immortal/Apothecary)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Churchill is a pretty spiky leader now - free City Garrison I with CHA means you aren't taking his cities easily and cheap Granaries means he can set them up fast. No economic trait though, so he's going to need to make his gains with his army and while Immortals are handy early on we all know that ancient-era warfare is dumb if you aren’t Zulu. nono
Hard to say - he's done okay with a tight spot in PB13, and isn't doing so good in the russian pitboss (AlaePB1), but those guys all seem pretty good so I'm going to call him average. He's a pretty funny guy though, so let's play nice.
We're not taking anything, even from his cold dead fist. Just move along there.
Old Harry:
Let’s just get a couple of tech levels ahead of him...
Fintourist:
Bacchus should do well in early game, but will there be anything going for him after T125?

Dhalphir: Hayuna Cupac (FIN/IND) of England (Fishing/Mining/Redcoat/Stock Exchange)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Civ and Leader: 2.5/5
Stock exchange might actually be helpful with the increases in tech costs that make the Redcoat less useful. IND and fishing make this civ very dependent on local environment at the start
Player skill: 2/5
Learning quick, but still learning.
Not a house-of-cards-type neighbour
Old Harry:
Lets see if he can provoke anyone in the tech thread
Fintourist:
If we ever fight him let’s drive him mad by asking a pause every single turn (we don’t need to delay the turn, just come up with various explanations why we are going to miss it) tongue
TheHumanHydra:
Rule Britannia! Britannia rules the stock market! Britons … probably shall be slaves.

Barry Lyndon: Hatsheput (CRE/SPI) of Celts (Hunting/Mysticism/Gallic Warrior/Dun)
Evaluated by Old Harry
CRE is good, and if things are a little tighter than normal could provide a good edge. I love playing SPI, and it shines later, to compliment CRE. His civ is basically the same as ours: Hunting/Myst with a swordsman replacement, except that our Swordsman is ONLY STRENGTH 5! How is that fair? frown
This 18th century Irish adventurer engages in duels, fights wars and cheats at cards.
Hard to judge his strength, but I'd rather not start near him, with his early-game UU and CRE.
Old Harry:
Directed by Stanley Kubrick. With Ryan O'Neal, Marisa Berenson, Patrick Magee, Hardy Krüger.
Fintourist:
Irish Rogue, I already like him!
TheHumanHydra:
Irish Rogue, I already dislike him! tongue

Dazedroyalty: Elizabeth (FIN/PHI) of Khmer (Hunting/Mining/Ballista Elephant/Baray)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Elizabeth is strong in the right hands. Good start techs.
Dazed seems to lack concentration and reporting recently, so may be a good neighbour to have
Ballista Elephants mean you need to attack before construction
Old Harry:
Are these the right hands? Who knows...
Fintourist:
Will dazed play more like PB16 Elizabeth or PB8 Khmer?

Boldly Going Nowhere: Pericles (CRE/PHI) of Russia (Hunting/Mining/Cossack/Research Institute)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Tricky to use PHI well, but it’s bonus just went up. Decent starting techs.
Boldly and Xenu struggled with PB11, was Xenu just holding him back?
Let’s kill him before he starts bulbing things
Old Harry:
Set course for fun!
Fintourist:
And take the Cossacks with you… to nowhere and beyond!

(March 15th, 2014, 10:20)Old Harry Wrote: Boldly and Xenu struggled with PB11, was Xenu just holding him back?
They held each other back, actually, both play better separate. BNG did go toe-to-toe with Novice, beating him (although Zak won the game)...
If only you and me and dead people know hex, then only deaf people know hex.

I write RPG adventures, and blog about it, check it out.

(March 15th, 2014, 10:40)Commodore Wrote:
(March 15th, 2014, 10:20)Old Harry Wrote: Boldly and Xenu struggled with PB11, was Xenu just holding him back?
They held each other back, actually, both play better separate. BNG did go toe-to-toe with Novice, beating him (although Zak won the game)...

Hmm. Maybe needs promoting a category then... contemplate

Finally we have the Cannon Fodder - please let us start next to these guys!:

Whosit: Hammurabi (AGG/ORG) of Vikings (Fishing/Hunting/Berserker/Trading Post)

Evaluated by Fintourist
Civ and Leader: 5/5
Despite the minor anti-synergy between traits this is awesome. Look at those Viking synergies.
Don’t know much about him apart from PB2
Starts slow, but both AGG and Vikings can be annoying
Old Harry:
Berserker world tour anyone?
Fintourist:
Can Whosit launch this economic monster or will he petrify?

Nakor: Darius (FIN/ORG) of Maya (Mining/Mysticism/Holkan/Ball Court)
Evaluated by Fintourist
Darius is strong, but early expansion speed might be a problem and I’m unimpressed by Mayas.
Nakor can, but does Nakor do?
NACOR: 5/5
Well, it’s Nakor himself!
Old Harry:
I think he’s spelt his name wrong.
Fintourist:
I’ve criticized Nakor so much in our PB13 thread that if he is our neighbor, he might make our life totally miserable.. (I don’t mean it too personally, surely a great guy, I just despise his way to quit the game)

Hashoosh: Stalin (AGG/IND) of Inca (Agriculture/Mysticism/Quechua/Terrace)
Evaluated by Old Harry
I don’t like IND for this game, but at least he gets cheap forges. Everything else here is good.
Drifted a bit in PB16, but didn’t everyone?
Old Harry:
He’s a sharp, funny poster, so I expect him to improve from his PB16 performance
Fintourist:
Inca and AGG scream anti-synergy, but I guess the pair is still ok

Qgqqqqq: Zara Yacob (CRE/ORG) of Byzantium (Mysticism/Fishing/Cataphract/Hippodrome)
Evaluated by Fintourist
I like ORG, there is small CRE-Hippo Synergy and Phracts are nerfed but still a nice UU.
When, I think of Q, I only remember that he messed up Cornflakes’ micro in PB9 tongue And that he tossed Ragnar away.
CRE and Cataphracts are not so nice…
Old Harry:
I thought Noble was just being mean until Q chucked out Ragnar, now I’m wondering...
Fintourist:
I gave maybe too high points to the pair as Byz’s starting techs can really screw you badly.
TheHumanHydra:
That’s also a lot of cheap buildings. Ok, this is another case where I can actually comment on the player’s skill from first-hand experience (my recent somewhat abortive duel). He out-expanded me, ‘cause I suck at maintaining an expansion pace and he was (BtS) Sury, but he didn’t strike me as that tactically skilled (sorry Q). I’m not sure he’ll have the ability to wage an effective cataphract war. I’d bump his NACOR up.

Caledorn: Brennus (SPI/CHA) of Sumer (Agriculture/Wheel/Vulture/Ziggurat)
Evaluated by Old Harry
I dunno what to say… CHA is a bit of an early game boost, but Brennus doesn’t look like a strong leader, Agri/Wheel is always nice though.
Player skill: 1.5/5
Hasn’t had time to prove himself yet, but has been very unwilling to go to war in PB14 (of which we shall never speak) so will likely make a very pleasant neighbour
Probably gets a good enough start to make him a spiky target
Old Harry:
A wildcard
Fintourist:
If we meet Caledorn we will send him a new diplo offer every single turn.. just because I associate him with CFC and diplo..
TheHumanHydra:
Caledorn is such a responsible, upstanding member of the community. He would never hurt anyone with those aggressive traits and vultures … would he?

AutomatedTeller: Peter (EXP/PHI) of Rome (Fishing/Mining/Praetorian/Forum)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Rome! So shiny! And yet so nerfed - non-AGG, strength 7 Praetorians just don't scare me much. The techs are okay, but need a coastal start (which I don't think translates to a strong capital later on). Peter suffers from EXP being one of the worst traits now, while PHI requires skill to get the most from, has AT got that?
AT isn't terrible, but hasn't really shone in any games I've seen. He dismantled Jowy's PB9 attack in short order, but then couldn't take advantage and got ripped to bits by the big beasts.
NACOR: 3/5
Starting nearby could be fun once the age of Praets is over :mischief
Old Harry:
PHI-Forums! yikes
Fintourist:
EXP-Forums! yikes
TheHumanHydra:
I don’t even know how to rate things in RB Mod …

Cheater Hater: Bismark (EXP/IND) of Zulu (Agriculture/Hunting/Impi/Ikhanda)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Both EXP and IND suck for me, so both his points are for the Zulus
Decent general knowledge, but seems to lack awareness of actions having consequences
Once Impi’s days are done maybe he’ll have some nice wonders for us to steal?
Old Harry:
He’s doing an awful lot of work in PBEM 58, will he continue that here?
Fintourist:
Assuming OH’s comment is true, maybe he will reach player skill 4/5 before T100..?

Oxybaii: Catherine (CRE/IMP) of Greeks (Fishing/Hunting/Phalanx/Odeon)
Evaluated by Fintourist
There is Odeon synergy, but Greece still does not shine and Cathy does not have much going for her after the land-grab phase
I know little about Oxy, BaII has not impressed me anywhere so far
Nobody really wants, CRE+IMP+early UU as his neighbor
Old Harry:
If Oxy ignores BaII they’ll do okay
Fintourist:
Oxy needs to aggressively grab a very nice piece of land, otherwise it’s game over by T100.

Azza: Washington (EXP/CHA) of Arabia (Mysticism/Agriculture/Camel Archer/Madrassa)
Evaluated by Old Harry
Civ and Leader: 1/5
As with AT EXP is going to miss cheap granaries. CHA is useful if you're lacking happy or want to whip hard early on, but I wouldn't want to play it. Arabia's got Agriculture now, but the Camel Archer is pretty lame. The only reason the combo gets a point is that the Madrassa makes it easy to get a great prophet and with Mysticism Azza could snag a shrine and make a lot of money in a game this big. I'd have re-rolled.
He plays his turns pretty quickly and doesn't seem to do a lot of planning. PB13 is probably his strongest showing yet though, and he's not going down without a fight (this time)
A pretty generous neighbour
Old Harry:
This’ll be the game where he disproves his reputation
Fintourist:
Washington of Arabia has potential to start fast, but I would be surprised if Azza manages to build a strong mid-game economy.

Jowy: Alexander (AGG/PHI) of Carthage (Fishing/Mining/Numidian Cavalry/Cothon)
Evaluated by Old Harry
This whole combo is map-dependent and has potential pitfalls: He could make our mistake decision in PB13 of building melee units for Combat 1 rather than building cheap AGG stables and getting 5XP horse archers. But with Numids being arguably worse than HAs who knows if that would be a problem?
Jowy plays fine once the early game is over, but is never going to be a contender
AGG, Numids… but Jowy!
Old Harry:
Of all the AGG neighbours this is the one I’d like to have… Just wait for him to throw an early army at you, kill it and then take all his stuff. Simple!
Fintourist:Never underestimate a Finn! smoke

Catwalk: Saladin (SPI/PRO) of Mali (Mining/Wheel/Skirmisher/Mint)
Evaluated by Old Harry
No economic trait, but good early and late-game traits and decent UU
Seems to hate workers
Skirmishers nono
Old Harry:
One of the more random players on RB, so lets hope he’s random-bad
Fintourist:
There’s a solid m_h potential here --> Catwalk will beeline Paya and land it before T100

MYKI: DuGaulle (IND/CHA) of Korea (Mining/Agriculture/Hwacha/Seowon)
Evaluated by Fintourist
IND and CHA do not belong to my favourite RBMod traits, but with new starting techs Korea is a totally decent civ
Player skill: 1/5
If I had to guess, who is the worst player of the game, MYKI would be my bet. Although he admits himself that his AlaePB performance is weak, so maybe there is a lot more potential?
NACOR: 5/5
With our limited knowledge, MYKI would be a jackpot neighbor
Old Harry:
Hey MYKI! Hey MYKI! (I’m out of inspiration)
Fintourist:
For whom is he going to build Stonehenge? (yeah, I know, free monuments don’t synergize anymore with CHA…) Yeah!

Sullla (lurker civ): Fredrick (ORG/PHI) of India (Wheel/Mysticism/Fast Worker/Mausoleum)
Evaluated by Old Harry
This is a decent enough combo even with the fast worker nerf
Player skill: 0/5
But this guy is so poor I guarantee he’ll be eliminated before he settles his second city
NACOR: 3.5/5
Should be pretty easy to dispatch, but why bother? The land he’ll have will be awful.
Old Harry:
I’ve heard he’s sneaky, but I’m not going to worry too much about him
Fintourist:
We should totally beeline paratroopers!
TheHumanHydra:
I think it’d be awesome if he took on a historian role for this game.

Old Human Tourist: Victoria (FIN/IMP) of Aztecs (Hunting/Mysticism/Jaguar/Sacrificial Altar)
Evaluated by Fintourist
Civ and Leader:
jive/5
Player skill:
smoke/5
NACOR:
dancing/5
Old Harry:
I guarantee we’ll start right by these guys and they won’t give us a thing. Not nearly as funny as they think they are.
Fintourist:
These guys are strong candidates for Mortius Award!
TheHumanHydra:
I think Fintourist and Old Harry have the micro skill to leverage the Sacrificial Altar. I really like the traits, but that’s probably because I don’t even know how to rate things in RB Mod.

Almost the 2nd page! nono Now, lonely lurkers, critize our opponent analysis or we start spamming this thread with endless sandboxing discussion.. devil

This time I still spare you with this:

Stuff that we learned from PB13: (no real spoilers)

Early game
- We need to select a tech before EOT4... Not EOT5 like in PBEM or Single Player.. smoke
- Let's not try to be so clever and just take AH before Writing crazyeye

Early Mid-game
- I don't know what we should learn from our suttree nightmare, because with the same knowledge that we had back then I might still vote for taking the risk and playing aggressively. Anyways, we surely remember now to always consider the possibility of a game-long grudge war in every conflict, but I hope that it does not lead us to playing too passively either hammer
- Discussion about HAs vs. AGG axes with Krill touched an important topic. It's again a bit difficult to estimate whether we played things correctly, but obviously it would be great if we could in this game emphasize more units that obsolete later please

There is lots of other stuff surely that we need to reflect from PB13, but these were easy non-spoilerish examples that I could come up with immediately.. mischief
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Nice analysis, must have taken a while to put that together!

(March 15th, 2014, 06:49)Old Harry Wrote: Krill’s ranking put Ruff into Tier 7, but I’m sure that’s too low
TheHumanHydra:
Ok, this is one case where I can actually comment on the player’s skill from first-hand experience. Ruff seems to be aggressive and tactically competent. I’m sure he’s higher than tier seven too, since he’s at least as good as me (not that I’m good) and I ranked higher than that.

Where did Krill rank everyone? That sounds like a potential bundle of amusement and hurt feelings.

Thanks!

(March 18th, 2014, 05:40)Gazglum Wrote: Where did Krill rank everyone? That sounds like a potential bundle of amusement and hurt feelings.

First there was a ranking in Gaspar's and Noble's PB16 thread. Then Krill heard of it, suffered a while because he could not read it, eventually got it and made his own version in his and Seven's PB16 thread.. tongue

Quote:That sounds like a potential bundle of amusement and hurt feelings.

Aaaand I think this is a pretty accurate description.. crazyeye
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

2nd page! yikes Crazy!

Some thoughts about this game then...

What is required to win this
- 34 players, obviously it's go big or go home... smoke
- At this point we have no clue about the structure, but my starting hypothesis is some kind of continent type of layout. We might well have some internal 4/6/8-player death matches and the players who manage to win their own battle early enough give themself a shot in this game
- Because of above, neighbor luck is at least as important as in PB13. Good neighbor that pushes to other direction or simply a bad neighbor that can be easily conquered.. You don't necessarily need more than one or two of them if stars are positioned right, but... Yeah, it really really matters.. please
- That said, simply eliminating your neighbors is of course not enough, you still need to master the peaceful expansion and make the most out of that extra space. A rush that kills a neighbor, but puts you 30 turns behind is not good enough either..

Other observations:
- No map trading is interesting. There are real gains that one can achieve with information advantage and I would say that getting away with pink dots is more probable. mischief
- Getting a religion would be huge, but so are tech costs. As much as Buddhism/Hinduism/Judaism is tempting me, there is a major trade-off in development that one needs to accept even if you are successful. Unless we get lucky with huts, a tech such as Pottery will come in terribly late
- Events will be bigger than most players expect. There are very strong positive events left in the game so let's cross our fingers.. please

Forecast/Guesses:
- This is a crazy game, people will play crazy... Lots of early rushes, religion and wonder plays, etc.. nod
- Most of the above crazy plays fail and by T100, 25 players are kind of out of the running already. Either due to craziness of their own or their neighbor...
- Some players succeed in their crazy gambit or benefit from their neighbors crazyness so that we have 1-4 players with an awesome position by T100
- But... this will be such a big game that I would say that if in any game, then in this game it is still possible to make a good comeback if you get geopolitically lucky.. crazyeye
- We start next to somebody who wants do to an early rush. We see it coming thousand years before it happens, but it still cripples us. We manage to crawl back into game, but then someone just eats this crazy neighbor and we are stuck with a superpower as a neighbor... rolleye Okay, here we go, that was my pessimistic forecast, let's hope it's the complete opposite! hammer
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3