I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Old Human Tourist: Empress of Azteca

Turn 5

Sooooorrry.. I just sniped the hut and ran to university.. Anyways..

This time it was a below average result.. shakehead But still better than map of the ocean or something nod Although a nice piece of map could maybe be worth those 20 gold.. noidea

Anyways, not so lucky result, but where to go next?

Option A: "Straight towards new disappointments" (4x NE and take the new hut revealed by border pop on T7)
Option B: "Scouts are ment for scouting" (W-NW, and then some kind of series of moves towards east that gets the hut on T9)
Option C: "Do you come up with something more creative?"

Option B gives us useful info of semi-fruitful looking area W/NW of us and gives us a minimal chance to get BW from the new hut. On the other hand, animals start appearing, so the option B includes a higher risk of losing the scout before we get to the hut and of course it has a higher chance that someone else steals our hut. Opinions? mischief
Finished:
PBEM 45G, PB 13, PB 18, PB 38 & PB 49

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

I think top priorities are:

1. Scout nearby city sites
2. Pop huts
3. Scout further away

So how about delaying popping the hut to t8 when we've just finished Mining?
Option C: Moving NE-NW on t6 shows us everywhere we might want a city for the Ivory and corn, then allows us to move E-NE on t7 and E-NE on t8. The risk is that a lion or bear will pop up next to our scout when he's on flat ground or that someone will beat us to the hut by a turn.

So I'd go for this or your Option B if we think an animal is a risk so early on...

Turn 6

We already had discussed with OH that we move NE-NW this turn, but this lion guy made the decision even easier..

That sheep resource is great news too. We are still hoping that there will be a spot N or E of our starting area that can share our capital pigs and we can plant our 2nd city there, but it looks very much like an early city will grab sheep+corn+ivory here..

I kind of would like to plant a city S of the sheep so that it could grow couple of cottages for our capital (or even on the tile where our scout is so that we don't waste any grassland tiles smoke).. But since we are not CRE and not going to get a religion or anything, I guess wet corn is something that you simply cannot leave out of the first ring..

Brick and Mardoc have already popped 2 techs from huts yikes Several other player have gotten a tech too. In two turns we are totally going to get Bronze Working... please
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

If S of sheep is going to be for building units we could build a barracks there, but it looks a bit more like a commerce site to me, so maybe a library? Except that that's a long way off, so perhaps chop a monument? SW of the sheep isn't so good as it doesn't let us work cottages for the capital, but we're IMP so why not plonk another city where the lion is straight away after settling S of the sheep?

Moar scouting needed to find more convenient sites!

Also that hut is going to contain Polytheism. Just you wait and see... nod

(March 25th, 2014, 07:35)Old Harry Wrote: Moar scouting needed to find more convenient sites!

Heartily agreed! It's a total disaster if we even need to think about chopping a monument when we are talking about a 2nd city. Everything needs to happen with lightning speed there. With 4th and 5th cities one can already think a bit more long-term nod

Quote:Also that hut is going to contain Polytheism. Just you wait and see... nod

I interpret this as a joke about my empty BW wishes, as the chance to pop Polytheism (or Meditation) is literally zero.. mischief
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3

Isn't it possible to pop religion from a hut? frown

Thinking out loud while waiting for turns to roll and scouting info to come in:

As we're IMP does it make more sense for us to pack our cities really tight and have fewer resources per city? The huge cylindrical map makes me think not really, its city number not distance that's going to be the limiting factor on our economy, so we probably want to have slightly fewer higher-quality cities and use the saved food-hammers to grow and build workers to improve those cities. We still want to overlap cottages with the capital and get them grown quickly, but beyond that there isn't an economic reason to pack tightly.

On tech path: We'll need AH for the elephant, Calendar for the spices and silk, Currency then Code of Laws to save our economy from crashing. At the moment it looks like we can skip fishing (depending on what's in that water N of the hut), so right now tech path is probably:
- Mining - BW - Wheel <-> Agri - AH <-> Pottery - Writing - Maths - Currency <-> Calendar - CoL
Wheel or Agriculture first depends on the second city site, AH/Pottery on how secure we feel and how much our workers have to do, Currency/Calendar on what trade routes or cities we can set up. We won't get Confucianism from CoL as someone will go straight there from Priesthood or will bee-line from an Agri-Wheel start.

What have I missed?

HBR? wink

And Archery! hammer

Seriously, that will depend on who and how close our neighbours are. We want to try out a Mackoti-PB13-HA-Rush, but that'll be totally dependent on an appropriate target presenting itself.

(March 25th, 2014, 10:32)Old Harry Wrote: And Archery! hammer

Seriously, that will depend on who and how close our neighbours are. We want to try out a Mackoti-PB13-HA-Rush, but that'll be totally dependent on an appropriate target presenting itself.
I supose is not a spoiler anymore, and if it is if i want i can present it anyway, in that Ha rus i had another 9 axes and i think 8 or 10 cats(dont remeber exaclty) so nope for a complet anihilation of an oponenet i would never recomand just Ha, casue spear get great odds on them and can be easily whiped even in rb mod.Well if Nakor is neighbour..., might work.

(March 25th, 2014, 12:48)mackoti Wrote: I supose is not a spoiler anymore, and if it is if i want i can present it anyway, in that Ha rus i had another 9 axes and i think 8 or 10 cats(dont remeber exaclty) so nope for a complet anihilation of an oponenet i would never recomand just Ha, casue spear get great odds on them and can be easily whiped even in rb mod.

Although I think that you really won the war during the first 2 turns when you took 4 cities and that must have been done using 2-movers (HAs + maybe chariots). But I hear you, IIRC there's a series of hills east of m_h's former capital so it could not be taken with the same speed as the first cities anyways and I'm sure that during the clean-up phase it was more cost-effective to use cats+axes as well. It was a very nice attack, so congrats. nod It's not your fault that m_h was asleep, it's your job to make him pay the maximum price for it and that you did. hammer The fact that you also had the 2nd turn split made the attack even more brutal as m_h did not get a chance to produce a single unit in those 4 cities that were first taken. Again, that's not your fault, m_h simply played his turns early, but there's a lesson to learn. Turn splits in Pitboss can make your reaction time significantly shorter than in PBEMs so one needs to be extra prepared.

Quote:Well if Nakor is neighbour..., might work.

Oh, a stack of HAs might already be an overkill there... alright Man, I feel you there. After you got m_h's land you were clearly in the strongest position in PB13 and it must have been painful to follow what Nakor did (or better, what he did not do). I mean, even I was and actually still am totally pissed off about his behavior and I promised myself that I will never play again with him.... But here I am doing it again.. duh
Finished:

Top 3 favorite turns: 
#1, #2, #3