For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Poll: When will I attack Oxy?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Chariots vs. Phalanxes
0%
0 0%
HAs vs. Spears
0%
0 0%
Swords vs. Archers
25.00%
3 25.00%
Knigs vs. Pikes
0%
0 0%
Rifles vs. Infantry
0%
0 0%
Snakes vs. Planes
75.00%
9 75.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[SPOILERS] Blut und Eisen: Deutsche Einigungskriege

Yeah, did you ever check the diplo screen for Old Tourist, BGN, or TBS and see just how many cities they have? It's kind of absurd. Aside from good strategy winning a game like this is apparently at least partially determined by who has the stamina to keep up with solid micro throughout a sprawling empire to keep advantage accumulating. It isn't a surprise that OH continues to excel in his games given the amount of time he's willing to devote to playing turns. He spends multiple hours per turn, usually spread out in several sessions, with Fintourist logging significant amounts of time in game as well. They're machines.

Ceil, what do you mean by I'll catch up shortly? I take it to mean I'm on my way out soon, which wouldn't be much of a surprise. lol

Edit: Just realized it's high time for a new poll option. Suggestions? smile

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

(April 8th, 2015, 14:18)Ceiliazul Wrote: CH, now that you're spoiled you should check out the big three threads. I think youll be surprised by the sizes of those empires ...

Xenu will catch up shortly, I suppose. smile
I probably should; I just don't know quite how spoiled I want to be if I'm eventually going to sub for some people--right now all I've read is xenu's thread and the first part of the lurker thread (right up to about where I declared on xenu)

Yeah, I know the big empires are massive, but it's hard to tell just how big they are from seeing a million cities--it's hard to grasp how powerful having that many cities is. In addition, one would think number of cities maintenance should stop super-large expansion, but that caps out apparently tongue

(April 8th, 2015, 13:21)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Apparently having active participants makes this thread better. Thanks.

(April 8th, 2015, 14:40)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Realized it's high time for a new poll option. Suggestions? smile

Quick WW game in your thread.

You'll ruin my posts/views ratio, but sure, go ahead. smile

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Xenu, you wanna be wolf? No one will expect it.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

100% pure WIFOM. I'm so obviously scum since my forum title has said scum for over a year that there's no way I'm scum. Unless I'm counting on the fact that everyone would assume that, in which case it would be such an obvious deception that I'm obviously not scum, and my title all this time has been deep cover. Kind of like your ultra deep cover Qgqqqqq smurf, Agnes the Orphan.eek

Are you telling me you don't have emergency arctic escape settlers prepped and ready to do? I am disappointed.

Honestly? I had a settler built but I just gifted it to plako last turn because I don't want to go through all that again.

Edit: The contingency plan from PB11, for reference.

Apparently I've changed my mind since I last posted, I'm not quite ready to die yet with HAK so close to being eliminated. He's down to three cities, I'm about to lose my city to Wetbandit. So, to stave off elimination long enough to survive HAK, I'll need a new city.

I'm in a bit of a hurry so I didn't take a lot of pictures showing the process but I magically teleported my fleet again to send it home. This will enable a (second) evacuation if/when Wetbandit sends the house. He intends to remove me from his continent, it seems. I guess I should explain this a bit, as he isn't updating his thread and I have no idea if OH/Fintourist mentioned it in their thread. This sidebar will be spoilered as it has no bearing on anything in game, it was just dealing with a technical issue without having to do a reload.

Wetbandit declared war on me on T225, after I played, so he had the second part of the timer. Apparently at some point during his turn before he declared war on me he had a trade window open with me and evidently sent an empty deal offer to me. After he declared war on me and ended turn I logged in to my next turn with a trade window open, with Wetbandit offering peace. I didn't know that he didn't intend to send the offer, but I was fine with peace, not wanting to die, so I accepted it. Later I got a PM from him saying he had no idea how we were at peace since he didn't offer it. We figured it out, as he came up with the empty trade window idea, so that's probably how it happened. In any case, it was a technical error, not an intentional choice so we wanted to overcome it, but without forcing a reload as several people had played and there was obvious combat elsewhere (i.e., HAK losing a city I think). So I thought about enlisting any of the tech-forward game leaders to sign a defensive pact with Wetbandit, so I could declare on them and bring Wetbandit into war against me that way. I contacted OH/Fin via PM to set it up because one of them was in game at the time. I think they had a problem offering the deal to Wetbandit though, they couldn't do it in game. So we were going to try with BGN or someone else. The defensive pact shouldn't have been a problem for anyone because they could have rid themselves of it by declaring war on the lurker civ. smile Anyway, it was all a moot point, as I found out, because I later logged into the game to pause for BGN and found out the unintended deal I had signed with Wetbandit was just a cease fire, not a peace treaty, so it was immediately breakable. So I just declared war on him to set things right. In case lurkers are wondering if I'm going for cop assisted suicide by declaring war on Wetbandit, well, no I'm not. Just fixing a tech problem without a reload. nod The only setback is that it delays Wetbandit a few turns in taking my city but I don't think it's a big deal.

For full disclosure we had a series of PMs between me, OH, Fintourist, and Wetbandit while troubleshooting this and trying to set up the defensive pact, but it wasn't diplo so just don't even nono.

OK, so the report from the current turn I just played, T226 went like this:

1. Use Reis und Sobe as a port prior to closing borders (loaded a new settler and a knight onto the galley that was in my city, moved it NW/NW into plako's city, unloaded units to get them into plako's territory on land).
2. Close borders w/ Jojo (prevent my fleet going into his territory)
3. Close borders w/ TBS (prevent my fleet going into his territory)
4. Close borders w/ plako (get my boats out of his territory back into my culture).

The boats are now in position to evacuate units if/when Wetbandit brings the killing force. I have nine galleys, so I should be able to move every unit out of my city the turn that it looks like Wetbandit will murder me. The process would go like:

Dunkirk #2 - (or, how to play a few more turns, maybe longer than HAK, or maybe not if plako decides to kill me)

1. Load 9 galleys with 18 units
2. Move galleys NW 1 tile into Plako's city (we already have OBs again, it was helpful having him in game the same time I played my turn smile)
3. Unload all units into plako's city
4. Move galleys SE 1 tile back into the channel (exhausts movement)
5. Load 18 (or whatever) more units back onto the galleys where they can be unloaded and moved to the new city the next turn.

Screenshots below showing this turn's activity and where to build the city next turn. The city site isn't hard though, it's on the only legal tile in the area, nestled in between two of plako's other cities. Maybe he won't mind. Or at least if he does, he'll get the killing blow, which he has earned by being the player who has now conquered all but one of my cities anyway. lol

EvacuationStack.jpg

SettleSurvivalCityNextTurn.jpg

Map.jpg - that should have been "TheReaper.jpg" but neenerneener

My power is actually ahead of HAK's now, it seems. I moved up a place since a battle last turn where he lost another city.

This won't look as good in a few turns. lol Yet we endure!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plan for the turns going forward, since I'll probably be out of contact, is to just not die. If Wetbandit sends all those units forward it's all over, so may as well evacuate and hope plako lets us live. If plako doesn't want to let me live on his continent he can kill me himself. He's earned the right to take the kill shot by winning the previous war. hammer

Oh, and if Ruff wanders in with his galley feel free to kill it, we could use more XP on that frigate. rolf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Image dump from the last few turns because I don't have time for much more before I leave:

T222

T223

T224

T225

Dreylin, let me know if you have any questions before I'm gone -- I'll be back late on Sunday night so if you're not able to cover for some reason and I'm not in danger of missing the turn you can leave it for me, or pause if there's no other way. I will have Internet until tomorrow morning but probably nothing after that, plus I expect to be in a complete drunken stupor for most of the weekend and may not be able to answer even if I have Internet at that point (bachelor party, wooooo). Thanks again!

And remember!

[Image: spearvstank.gif]

Dreylin, I'm pretty sure that video at the end should be interpreted as instructions to do everything possible to avoid elimination, and should involve the immediate preparation of more emergency settlers for arctic islands ASAP.