For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

The old NatNeg thread - How to avoid bouncing in Pitboss (without Gamespy)

(June 29th, 2016, 20:02)bringitonwimps Wrote: ok, so me and some friends are trying to play civilization IV colinization... so we need to understand how to set this server up to run this game. Is it just downloading that original one and telling our host the server ip?.. or is there settings on server we need to set?.. and is there more needed in the host file then just changeing the ips from your list for civ 4?

You don't need to run your server, feel free to use the one I run. You can find instructions on how to do that in the other thread: http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showt...p?tid=7544

Sorry, I misread your post, didn't notice the Colonization part of the question. It probably works similar, but I'm not sure which URLs are used in the game. I will have to do further investigation.

If you use Direct-IP and forward your ports correctly, it should work without NATNEG. Feel free to report your experience.

Thanks to all of your guys - your are doing a great effort to keep this game alive!
This work in live play also btw.

Zulan if the server one day goes down or you shut it down - can we just open this open source code in cmd and replace the IP with our own in the hosts file to create a local server?

For the setup explanation I recommend the updated guide: http://www.realmsbeyond.net/forums/showt...p?tid=7544, you are missing a few hosts. If you use the explanation there, you can also use the lobby instead of direct IP. Hamachii may or may not help, I'd recommend trying without.

It is very important to note, that the GameSpy NAT negotiation was never perfect, neither is our replacement. There are some routers/ISPs that just don't seem to be able to connect to each other. It was and is strongly recommended to setup port forwarding for UDP 2056-2107.

To just play, there is no need to download or run any of the NATNEG/RPMaster exe files (except for the patched Civ4...exe files). These are running on my server. If my server it shut down at some point, you can take them and take over.

Civilization IV: Colonization may be using a different game name with the gamespy software, which would make it attempt to connect to different dns names when doing NAT negotiation. So instead of civ4bts.natneg1.gamespy.com it might be trying civ4colonization.natneg1.gamespay.com or something similar. You could use Wireshark while trying to connect from the game to find out.

Also I think the natneg server code is looking for the same game name, I think it was hardcoded in the code when I left it. If the game name is different, you might need to run a separate natneg server, or make the current one accept any game name.
I have to run.

We added civ4 colonization for the chat and game browser. We couldn't really test natneg, but it should work with the following additional hosts entries:

Code:
#civ4 col
148.251.130.188 civ4colpc.available.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4colpc.ms11.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4colpc.master.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4colpc.natneg1.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4colpc.natneg2.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4colpc.natneg3.gamespy.com

#civ4 col japan version
148.251.130.188 civ4coljp.available.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4colpc.ms11.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4coljp.master.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4coljp.natneg1.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4coljp.natneg2.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4coljp.natneg3.gamespy.com

Thanks a ton.. hoping to test next few days. Will let you know how it goes. This be awesome if it let's us play withard more then 2 players again!