For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

The old NatNeg thread - How to avoid bouncing in Pitboss (without Gamespy)

Rather than having to navigate through the directory tree and having to change the dropdown to "all files", you can just go directly.
Open notepad, hit File>Open, paste in
C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
or
%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Pictures 2&3 can both be replaced with
[Image: bERgOK3.jpg]

I am currently going to try this with Direct IP/ Simulatneous game.

Apparently Jojo, Dogan, Seljuk tried it to no success but I will try.

Edit: Test did not work. I tried to host w/ Jojo and Dogan but it didnt work .... does this mean that I need to host my own Net Reg server (and how to do that :D) ... or will it only work for Pitboss?

(August 10th, 2014, 13:59)Tasunke Wrote: I am currently going to try this with Direct IP/ Simulatneous game.

Apparently Jojo, Dogan, Seljuk tried it to no success but I will try.

Edit: Test did not work. I tried to host w/ Jojo and Dogan but it didnt work .... does this mean that I need to host my own Net Reg server (and how to do that :D) ... or will it only work for Pitboss?

I didn't test this for live games. I imagine that using the Evolve VPN is a more acceptable solution for a live session, so I would try that.

Someone on CFC asked for a compiled server executable:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1521...erver3.zip

Run the server by opening a command prompt, navigating to your unzipped location, and type
Code:
PRMasterServer.exe +game civ4bts +servers master,natneg

The server listens on ports 27900 and 27901 for UDP traffic, so you need to let UDP traffic on those ports through any firewalls and routers you might have.

Also asked on CFC: Is there any way to tell if the NatNeg server is running?
At the moment, no there's no easy way to tell, except by successfully contacting a peer when logging in to a pitboss.
I have to run.

Thanks Novice and Calodorn, there are a bunch of Civ4 Players on the league using this for normal random lobby games and other than trying to get non techies to edit or copy a new hosts file, it is working pretty good. Evolve should be a good solution, but Evolve is having a lot of server load issues lately. And if you drop it makes you wait to rejoin unless you donate to them.

CS

Impressive stuff.

If I want to run this (no need to now other than testing, but could be useful as a backup if Caledorn's server has any hickups) I just use that exe link above?

And this does work for lobby games but does not work for directIP?

It seems to work for both lobby games and Direct IP/Pitboss games. smile
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

Great, thanks for your efforts novice and Caledorn! The implementation for the natneg looks non-trivial and also thanks for hosting.

Would it be ok for you If I posted your IP and in a translated article for the German Civ4 community?

There might be some issues with anti-virus tools - they might not like changes to /etc/hosts because some adware/phishin uses this to redirect web traffic.

seems a lot of hard work considering evolve supports direct ip all you have to do his use the Hosts
IP from the party room

also consider what happens if the host dies :/

Hello. The probleme with Evolve are it is slow sometimes, and sometimes you are kicked or cannot connect due to the server capacity reached.

My problem it's this fix does not work.

I have properly installed it, in the good repertory. Two guys have checked the things by remote controll access software.

Firewall and antivirus desactived.
Router well configured for game sharing etc.
Game restarted few times, PC too.

Someone could please help me ?