Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

The old NatNeg thread - How to avoid bouncing in Pitboss (without Gamespy)

(September 1st, 2014, 21:47)Gaspar Wrote: Kidding aside, maybe it would be better as a link?

Though I think the people who haven't seen it yet probably can't be led here.

I'm not sure what magic sauce Yaz used to use to make links in the announcement. That said...if anyone can't find this thread on this forum it's because they haven't looked.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

<A href="">? Heh.

(September 2nd, 2014, 16:40)NobleHelium Wrote: <A href="">? Heh.

Pretty sure I tried the basic forms before, using <a href="">, tried [url], etc. Maybe Yaz can give me a pointer one day.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

Sooo....anyone know how to change the hosts file in Win8? I just bought a new laptop, and can't seem to get the machine to allow me permission to edit the file. Even after following some instructions I found on the web about changing the Ownership of the entire C: drive and it's subfolders/files to be owned by my username rather than the default thing the machine came with.
And with any luck I didn't just screw up the machine by doing that, either.

EDIT: Figured out how to change the file finally. Realized there was an option to run Notepad as administrator, then open the file and save it.
Now with any luck, my doing that whole directory ownership change thing didn't mess anything up. Since I can't think of any way to put it back the way it was.

(September 15th, 2014, 13:07)HitAnyKey Wrote: Sooo....anyone know how to change the hosts file in Win8? I just bought a new laptop, and can't seem to get the machine to allow me permission to edit the file. Even after following some instructions I found on the web about changing the Ownership of the entire C: drive and it's subfolders/files to be owned by my username rather than the default thing the machine came with.
And with any luck I didn't just screw up the machine by doing that, either.

EDIT: Figured out how to change the file finally. Realized there was an option to run Notepad as administrator, then open the file and save it.
Now with any luck, my doing that whole directory ownership change thing didn't mess anything up. Since I can't think of any way to put it back the way it was.

Have you tried either of the methods listed here?

If that doesn't help for some reason (I always run notepad.exe as administrator to do it myself) you can try booting to safe mode to make the change in case you have another program blocking access to the hosts file (like a firewall or anti-virus program).

I would not have recommended taking ownership of all those files with the account you use to operate the computer, as you've just defeated a lot of security over sensitive areas of the operating system by doing so. You may want to consider creating a second user account (without administrator level access to the computer) for your day to day use and not using the account you've just given access to everything.

You ninja'd me while I checked to see if there was anything different about the hosts file security in Windows 8/8.1. lol Glad you got it to work.

I'd still suggest creating a second account that is not an administrator now, though. And probably disabling the account that has root access to everything.

Update!

To simplify his hosting environment, Caledorn will no longer be hosting a NatNeg server, so we ask everybody to start using Zulan's NatNeg server instead. As a bonus, it has considerably better historical uptime. You need to update your hosts file with a new IP address, the new address is 148.251.130.188. See the opening post of this thread for more detailed instructions.

If you don't update your hosts file, you will again start experiencing bounces with everybody. Caledorn's NatNeg server is currently down, and will not be restarted.

Thanks for your understanding!
I have to run.

To confirm what novice wrote in his last post, I have now removed the natneg server entirely from my server, and updated my own hosts file on the server to use zulan's natneg server. Be aware, zulan, that you can expect a rather steep increase in traffic on the natneg server, as I used to have quite a lot of requests every day. smile Thank you for providing an alternate natneg server, btw! It means I can natneg when I play in Pitbosses too, which I couldn't when the natneg was placed inside my own natted network.
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master. - Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

Since the last month, the server has performed >44,000 NAT negotiations (indicated by an "INIT CLIENT"). I don't see any significant load on the server and the traffic is well within reason. I just need to reboot it these days with those terrible security issues popping up everywhere :-/.

So replace
82.116.84.39 civ4bts.natneg1.gamespy.com
82.116.84.39 civ4bts.natneg2.gamespy.com
82.116.84.39 civ4bts.natneg3.gamespy.com
82.116.84.39 civ4bts.available.gamespy.com

with
148.251.130.188 civ4bts.natneg1.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4bts.natneg2.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4bts.natneg3.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4bts.available.gamespy.com

?
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)