I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Epic Forty: The Hittite Cosmonauts

In the other info thread for Epic 15, it was clarified for no giving away your cities, among a couple other clarifications.

Yup. Great idea. This is one of those "need to remember to make a note of reminding myself to tie a string around my finger" situations. Definitely be useful to integrate the unit rename ability into the scenario making process. This option figured large in the Mayan Epic, but I didn't think of it until reading your post.

This has given me a really dumb idea. Silly. Goofy. For a game concept, that is. I think I need to sleep on it, maybe two or three times. If it still seems half as funny in a couple of days, maybe I'll try it. smile Or worse, round up some guinea pigs and try it together. :P

Anyway, thanks for the reminder!

- Sirian
Fortune favors the bold.

.... that April Fool's already passed wink

I am not trying to find loopholes here, just clearing up (or confusing?) a concept.

Let us say I have founded city A.
Then I capture city B that overlaps with city A. (I am below 14, not the biggest dog, that is not the issue here.)
Then I capture city C that overlaps with city B, but not with city A, nor with any other city of mine.

City A is a city, because I founded it, observing all the rules.
City B is a suburb of city A, no questions asked.

Now the question is: Is city C a city or a suburb? Let me present two general definitions, both I think in line with the spirit of the scenario, yet they give different results...

Def. 1:
If two of your cities, for any (legal) reason overlap, then at least one of them must be a suburb.

Def.2:
If you (legally) acquire a city that overlaps with an already existing settlement of yours (city or suburb), it must be a suburb.

According to Def.1, C is a city. According to Def.2, C is a suburb.

The question actually is a very practical one: Let us say you conquer a "chain of cities" with a war, that overlap in a chain. Then the question is: You can have 1 worker for the whole chain, or 1 worker per two cities. You may say, just raze those cities, and build your own. But what if someone wants to play honorably? Is he punished for this?

What do you think?

City C is a suburb. When a city comes into your control, at that moment it must be defined as a city of a suburb. If you capture a city that only overlaps with a suburb, then it is a full city. One thing you want to remember about your definition is that cities can't change status over time. So, you really wouldn't need to define the status of two cities at once.

-Griselda

NOW you got me confused indeed.

You say: "City C is a suburb"
But then you say: "If you capture a city that only overlaps with a suburb, then it is a full city. " But this is exactly the situation I was describing!

So what's going on?

What I meant was that "City B is a suburb, so city C is a full city".

Sorry for the confusion.

-Griselda

nt

Hey everyone, I'm just wrapping up my Epic 40 report and I was wondering if anyone knows of any free webspace servers I could host on. I hosted my Epic 38 report on my 5mb ISP webspace, but this report is much larger. Plus, I'd rather not have to delete my old Epic reports every time I play a new Epic.

One thing I considered doing was posting the report on the 'Stories and Tales' forum at Civfanatics, since you can upload tons of screenies to their server. I wonder if Thunderfall would mind , since the report would probably have to be broken up into 15-20 posts to get over the smiley/image limit! Plus, with HTML I can better control the presentation of the report.

Thanks in advance,

CA

If I were to acquire a worker (my worker, not a slave) outside of my borders, would it be able to do work for a future city site while it waits for a settler (e.g. a jav thrower enslaves one of my troops, which I later capture or one of my workers is captured and recaptured).

I hope this is not giving too much information.