I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Master of Orion the SwanSong patch (1.40n)

Hi, it's been a long time.
Here is a small work from me for those few who still play or casually replay this game.

This is Master of Orion unofficial SwanSong patch, version 1.40n.

.zip   MooSwanSong140n.ZIP (Size: 199.71 KB / Downloads: 51)
Download SwanSong patch 1.40n

Attention!
You need to install 1.40m version first, than overwrite it with 1.40n.

The patch has moved from "bug-fixing" (see stickied "MoO unofficial patch" thread) to the more creative part, the AI part, that may not always follow the strict rules of the original game. Whenever I cross the line, I will inform about it. The game core mechanics, e.g. its fonctionnality and mechanics, won't be changed, however.

1.40n features
- [bug] AI does not DOW randomly, because its ally is in war with HP. Instead, AI now has a chance to DOW on any player, who is in war with its ally
- [bug] Militarist and Expansionist AI will use military advantage against opponents who have significantly smaller fleet, not vice-versa (against much bigger fleet). This bug was particulary harmful to early militarists, like Mrrshans or non-honourable Alkaris.
- AI to AI diplomacy has been corrected. AIs should exchange a lot more technologies, should correctly keep their alliances or NAPs.
- Active AI spying delayed to ease quicker start into campaign. Rational spending in spying. More incentive to steal technologies from opponents.

I hope it works, have not tested bang

This sounds pretty cool! I don't have time to test it right now but it sounds like a great thing! Thank you very much!

(January 22nd, 2015, 08:52)kyrub Wrote: Hi, it's been a long time.
Here is a small work from me for those few who still play or casually replay this game.

This is Master of Orion unofficial SwanSong patch, version 1.40n.

Thanks for your effort.

Thanks, guys. This is just a first step, removing bugs.

Hopefully, lot more is coming. AI research, an improved ship design and smarter enemy targetting are a priority. But as always, a lot of plans are in detailed notes and spreadsheets, but it requires a specific window of opportunity in my RL to realize them.
Let's see how far we can get.

(January 26th, 2015, 14:48)kyrub Wrote: Let's see how far we can get.

I look forward to any and all results!

As an aside, are these modifications built on your 1.40m or can they be implemented onto vanilla 1.3?
Thanks again!

(January 27th, 2015, 01:09)Ianus Wrote: As an aside, are these modifications built on your 1.40m or can they be implemented onto vanilla 1.3?
Thanks again!

I can make a separate 1.31 build, if you lot wish.

Although I don't fully understand what is the motivation behind not using 1.40, since all it does is correcting of bugs. Maybe the 4th colony ship issue and the AIs developping too quickly with colony ships being free, in fact, unfairly quickly? I will deal with this issue in SwanSong, I assure you, I have a solution ready in my mind. The other questionable effect is the splitting of AI fleet, bugged in the original game, the correction making the AI possibly easier to defeat. Again, we'll have a good solution, I hope.

Thanks, kyrub! This looks great! (My game-playing and forum-checking time is extremely limited these days, so I haven't had time to test it out yet, but it looks really neat!)

I think the question about 1.40M vs. 1.3 might just have been about the logistics of installing 1.40N: Does one copy one's original 1.3 folder and install N over the copy, or copy one's 1.40M folder and install N over the copy of that?

(February 2nd, 2015, 17:27)RefSteel Wrote: Does one copy one's original 1.3 folder and install N over the copy, or copy one's 1.40M folder and install N over the copy of that?

Hi RefSteel. It seems I made a foolish mistake, ommitting other files from 1.40m. So indeed, you probably should use 1.40m and then overwrite the exe with 1.40n.

(I will have to put in the full version 1.40n)

AI keeps sending desant, ignoring NAP. Hoped you've fixed it.

(February 8th, 2015, 12:35)bjg Wrote: AI keeps sending desant, ignoring NAP. Hoped you've fixed it.

Please, specify the situation. What is "desant"?
Thanks for feedback, I am ready to fix anything that requires fixing.
Working on AI design atm.