I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Multiplayer after GameSpy - Lobby and NatNeg

Well we managed to log into PB37 and paused that game so whilst I hesitate to say the problem is fixed, something is currently working.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

The whole server crashed yesterday, I think it was probably caused by a full root partition. Everything should be up again (for a while now today). Sorry for the downtime - I do still host and care. I didn't notice yesterday because my email also died, I guess I'll need to figure out a way to get info when everything is down. For some reason none of my email clients gave me an obvious error that the server was down.

I'm not sure if I restarted everything correctly. Let me know if anything is still not working.

(July 21st, 2017, 15:00)Zulan Wrote: The whole server crashed yesterday, I think it was probably caused by a full root partition. Everything should be up again (for a while now today). Sorry for the downtime - I do still host and care. I didn't notice yesterday because my email also died, I guess I'll need to figure out a way to get info when everything is down. For some reason none of my email clients gave me an obvious error that the server was down.

I'm not sure if I restarted everything correctly. Let me know if anything is still not working.

Do you play Zulan?  Thanks for continuing to host the lobby.  Many of us play a lot still!

(August 18th, 2017, 21:26)Zhenon Wrote: Do you play Zulan?  Thanks for continuing to host the lobby.  Many of us play a lot still!

I don't play fast mp, have played a lot of PB / PBEM and single player over the time. I love the game and I'm happy to help a bit keeping it alive.

( not to necro  but ) if you download the game via Steam you can play online multiplayer like with gamespy.
"Superdeath seems to have acquired a rep for aggression somehow. [Image: noidea.gif] In this game that's going to help us because he's going to go to the negotiating table with twitchy eyes and slightly too wide a grin and terrify the neighbors into favorable border agreements, one-sided tech deals and staggered NAPs."
-Old Harry. PB48.

Thanks for this, Zulan! I can't believe that my small group of friends is still keeping a game alive after 12 years, but we are really enjoying continuing to play this old game. We got to nukes in a 3v3 Medieval game the other evening. It was strangely cathartic to hit each of the opponents' uranium first, shutting off their ability to make more nukes (due to fallout), and then nuking them until they quit.

"There is no wealth like knowledge. No poverty like ignorance."

The Natneg-Server for Civ4 currently hangs and is out of service. Zulan is already informed and should restart it asasp. smile

Edit: Problem was fixed.

Can someone help me?

Is it possible to play with mac/pc multiplayer with this?
I would like to host with my pc while my bros would connect with their macs.
I can't save the hosts file for some reason, it always saves as a .txt file although i choose otherwise.
And while they have macs and dont have a system folder, I don't know what to do.... I really want to play this game

I just setup a new 18 player PB game, and found my way to this thread after we discovered multiple players can't be logged in at the same time. To get complete clarification, each player must modify their host file and be running on the steam beta version (or the modified .exe), correct? I have edited my hosts file, had another user edit their hosts file, but we still cannot connect at the same time. We both tried the alternative .exe and it did not work either. 

Additional info: I'm hosting the game and we are all on the steam version (the rolled-back beta version). Any help would be appreciated! I've been able to connect with other people a few times, but with VERY limited success. I have port UDP 2056-2107 opened up on my router. There has also been some success with others being able to connect at the same time, some using the altered BTS_2015.exe file and others editing the hosts file.

(December 2nd, 2017, 13:10)Ronrocken Wrote: Can someone help me?

Is it possible to play with mac/pc multiplayer with this?
I would like to host with my pc while my bros would connect with their macs.
I can't save the hosts file for some reason, it always saves as a .txt file although i choose otherwise.

Have you tried saving it as a .txt file, then navigating to the containing folder (in Windows Explorer or whatever they call their directory system on modern machines) and renaming the file manually with the correct file extension?

Quote:And while they have macs and dont have a system folder, I don't know what to do.... I really want to play this game

I think one way is to use some kind of Windows emulator software, and get the Windows version of the game running in that environment. Actual Mac users may be able to offer better, more specific (or alternative) suggestions....

(I'm not really qualified to answer these questions, still less ajvitaly's; I just saw them and figured I'd offer what suggestions I knew....)