For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Multiplayer after GameSpy - Lobby and NatNeg

What does changing the hosts file do, exactly, to make it work? Is it dangerous?

Also, if I ever wanted to play in an RB game, would the 2K way of restoring Direct IP/Lobby work fine, or would I still need the hosts change?

You need both. Fixing your .exe is necessary to connect to a direct-ip pitboss game at all, while fixing your hosts let you log in at the same time as other people. It's not dangerous.

(October 9th, 2015, 17:30)GermanJoey Wrote: You need both. Fixing your .exe is necessary to connect to a direct-ip pitboss game at all, while fixing your hosts let you log in at the same time as other people. It's not dangerous.

Alright. Is the 2K thing adequate for fixing the .exe?

(October 9th, 2015, 18:00)Kuro Wrote:
(October 9th, 2015, 17:30)GermanJoey Wrote: You need both. Fixing your .exe is necessary to connect to a direct-ip pitboss game at all, while fixing your hosts let you log in at the same time as other people. It's not dangerous.

yeah. if you have the steam version of civ4, its easier to just install the beta version though.

(October 9th, 2015, 18:02)GermanJoey Wrote:
(October 9th, 2015, 18:00)Kuro Wrote:

yeah. if you have the steam version of civ4, its easier to just install the beta version though.

Alright. So I'll do the beta version and then do the host thing. Thank you kindly for prompt replies. smile

This seems like the place for this.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/u-...ogamesgen1

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/11/ef...ine-games/

I wasn't aware that there was an ongoing copyright dispute with respect to third-party workarounds to authentication servers, but apparently there is.

Text from the Librarian of Congress's decision:

Quote:Many modern video games-which may be played on a personal computer or a dedicated gaming console require a network connection to a remote server operated by the game's developer to enable core functionalities. Before some games can be played at all, including in single-player mode, the game must connect to an "authentication server" to verify that the game is a legitimate copy.

Other games require a connection to a "matchmaking server" to enable users to play the game with other people over the internet in multiplayer mode. In the case of a game that relies on an authentication server, the game may be rendered entirely unplayable if the server connection is lost. When a matchmaking server is taken offline, the game may still be playable, though with online multiplayer play disabled.

[summary of arguments, decision allowing activity to allow emulating an authentication server when game rendered completely unusable]

At the same time, the Register determined that proponents had failed to provide persuasive support for an exemption for online multiplayer play, in large part because it is not clear on the current record how the provision of circumvention tools
to multiple users to facilitate an alternative matchmaking service could be accomplished without running afoul of the anti-trafficking provision in section 1201(a)(2). The Register also confirmed that the exemption for gamers should not extend to jailbreaking of console software because such jailbreaking is strongly associated with video game piracy.

That's from this 73 page decision from the Librarian about specific exemptions to copyright infringement. This section is from 51-55.

Not sure what to make of this, but for those of you involved with this project, you should probably be aware of these developments.

Man, this is highly interesting, speaking as someone that graduated in Law. I actually thought about doing research on this subject (and other similar to it) for a post-graduation.

But, I simply can't wrap my head around legal texts written in english. I would have a long way to go in study before I could do proper work.

(November 10th, 2015, 07:56)Ichabod Wrote: Man, this is highly interesting, speaking as someone that graduated in Law. I actually thought about doing research on this subject (and other similar to it) for a post-graduation.

But, I simply can't wrap my head around legal texts written in english. I would have a long way to go in study before I could do proper work.

If you are interested in copyright and digital legal issues, I'd suggest checking out the EFF (www.eff.org). They have accessible information on their front pages, if you are worried about comprehension (which I don't think you need to be!) and more detailed documents can be found there also.

Is there a guide to allow log in at the same time as other people for people running wine?
Youtube Channel Twitch aka Mistoltin

Phone post sorry for lack of detail, but this should help if you're on Linux.

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Securing-...sec95.html

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon