For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Multiplayer after GameSpy - Lobby and NatNeg

I fixed it a while ago but for a few months I was doing the same thing as Cairo without realising it was wrong. The same thing would happen to me, just a warning message and then it worked fine, at least on my end.
Past Games: PB51  -  PB55  -  PB56  -  PB58 (Tarkeel's game)  - PB59  -  PB60  -  PB64  -  PB66  -  PB68 (Miguelito's game)     Current Games: None (for now...)

Is it possible to transfer map scripts over the server?
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

(February 1st, 2021, 19:58)GeneralKilCavalry Wrote: Is it possible to transfer map scripts over the server?

It is. A short test reveals following:

1. The second player needs a folder 'My Games\Beyond the Sword\TransferredMaps'. Otherwise you cannot
join into a listed game with an unknown map script.
(Civ4 should automatically create this folder at startup. Check if the folder exists if it does not work)

2. The map script will be transferred to the client after all players are ready. The script name will be extended by _t, e.g. 'Test_t.py'.

Is this a security risk? Unfortunately yes. If the script name is the same as a known script you also can not detect this before it will be executed.
As client you could prevent Civ4 from writing (or reading files!) into TransferredMaps, but this does not resolve this feature/problem for all users. scared

(February 2nd, 2021, 05:41)Ramkhamhaeng Wrote:
(February 1st, 2021, 19:58)GeneralKilCavalry Wrote: Is it possible to transfer map scripts over the server?

It is. A short test reveals following:

1. The second player needs a folder 'My Games\Beyond the Sword\TransferredMaps'. Otherwise you cannot
join into a listed game with an unknown map script.
(Civ4 should automatically create this folder at startup, but if you can not join check this.)

2. The map script will be transferred to the client after all players are ready. The script name will be extended by _t, e.g.
'Test_t.py'

Is this a security risk: Unfortunately yes. If the script name is the same as a known script you also can not detect this before it will be executed.
As client you could prevent Civ4 from writing (or reading files!) into TransferredMaps, but this does not resolve this feature/problem for all users. scared

Thanks Ramk! My friends did not have the folder created, so probably that's why it wasn't working.
"I know that Kilpatrick is a hell of a damned fool, but I want just that sort of man to command my cavalry on this expedition."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

A quick issue I have not had before:

I can not log in to PB56. When the download of the game to my hard drive is almost finished my civ crashes. I noticed that the download took a long time. Is it a timeout? In PBspy it shows a log in and a log out.

Does anyone know why this might be?
My singleplayer balance mod of BTS: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3u6g4b2nfa74qhm...%20mod.odt?

(February 4th, 2021, 17:09)chumchu Wrote: A quick issue I have not had before:

I can not log in to PB56. When the download of the game to my hard drive is almost finished my civ crashes. I noticed that the download took a long time. Is it a timeout? In PBspy it shows a log in and a log out.

Does  anyone know why this might be?

The mod has been updated, did you install that? I had this issue some days ago. You can update from the game main menu (box in the upper right).

Ok. I'll do that and see if it works.
My singleplayer balance mod of BTS: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3u6g4b2nfa74qhm...%20mod.odt?

You need to tab out and back in to make the updater start I think. Otherwise you can get the updated mod from PBSpy.

Hello, i was wondering if this could work for mac players? TYSM

Mac players can change their hosts file to use the server.