I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

EitB v13 Wishlist/Progress

(June 13th, 2016, 15:12)Bobchillingworth Wrote: What if the Barbarian trait got nerfed instead, with either a greater tech penalty or an additional cash / maintenance one?

Of the other leaders who would get hit in the crossfire, Averax & Charadon are already top-tier, so no big loss there. It'd kind of suck for Furia, so I guess she'd have to be rebalanced in some fashion.

That was actually my original thought, but then I saw all the minor leaders who have Barbarian trait and couldn't remember which ones of them were playable outside scenarios. I just looked up the list in the Civilopedia, and I think the only one you missed was Hyborem.

I wouldn't stress overmuch about nerfing Hyborem.

Besides, haven't we been there before, that playing with Hyborem (and same for Mercurians) is almost impossible in our MP games, mostly due none of us having time/knowledge to do the switchs that T-Hawk was able to back in the day? So it really doesn't matter much if Hyborem got nerfed.

While I'm picking on the vampires, it's always bothered me that Vampirism is a no-brainer promotion: you should always take it as soon as you can. I think it would be more interesting if it had some drawbacks (e.g., -50% resistance to Cold, Fire, Lightning). Then there would be an actual decision on whether you want to promote one of your units.

I don't like that. I like that it's something that's universally good - truthfully, I would prefer if the unit was weaker and simply the on/off nature of vampirism was more powerful, as I like the benefit to the mainline, the idea of seeking out vampirism and then spreading it.
Erebus in the Balance - a FFH Modmod based around balancing and polishing FFH for streamlined competitive play.

So, nobody has mentioned this yet, but I think most of us have forgotten that EitB actually boosted the Vampire unit by giving them +1 attack strength, to make up for them not being draftable and Specters being nerfed. You still can't draft them, but the Specter nerf no longer really applies- so should they by attacking at normal Champ strength (actually harder, thanks to the 10% Vampirism buff)?

You mean making them 6/6 instead of 6/5? I don't see that necessary because I kind of like that they're weaker on defense, they hardly ever work as stack defender anyway thanks to Chanelling I & II. Also, what do you mean by "Spectre nerf no longer really applies"? I think the only thing that ever was changed (compared to FFH2) was the removal of Fear promotion.

No, vampires were 5/5 in vanilla, and I think that's where Bob wants to return them. In early versions of EitB, spectres didn't have death affinity, and were strength 4 to compensate (this had the unintended side effect of making it easier for the barbs to promote to a Wraith if they got lucky with a skeleton combat or if you spawned spectres from a lair). When spectres regained death affinity they lost Fear.

And, yeah, going back to 5/5 makes good sense. Especially since vampires are typically highly promoted.

An idea I had for the Calabim was to push Rivers of Blood back in the game. The T1 play is generally accepted as the most powerful, while also being boring and a bit unthematic IMO.

@Dave: Oops, I actually meant the original strenght form FF2 but had forgotten what that was Doh.

@TBS: I think someone (Mardoc?) also suggested something like that earlier. I agree that it'd be a lot more thematic if it wasn't avilable from the get-go. That'd make the WS a lot weaker as it's one of the reasons why Calabim is one of the best civs. Where would you move it? Thematically it'd suit best close to Vampires... but I'd not want to put it too far in the tech tree.

Another completely irrelevant thing to Calabim discussion: Should the cost of Granary/Smoke House be reduced? I hardly see anyone (other than newcomers) build them in the early game even though they're unlocked almost from the beginning (well, not Smoke House but y'know). And I don't think many build them even it the later games. I think they could be worth building earlier if they were a bit cheaper, maybe put them around EC/Market cost at 40h (down from 67h they are now). Of course that'd be a small boost to EXP which it really doesn't need.