I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Caster of Magic Release thread : latest version 6.06!

Move Magic Immunity to some lower-level, less-used normal unit. Maybe an otherwise useless summoned unit. Rename them to Mage Slayers or something. Agree Golems need it, for sure.

-Good Moon : original effect+units owned by white wizards are healed to full every turn. Or, a healing spell is cast on a random white wizard's unit every battle turn.
-Bad Moon : I like this one
-Chaos Conjunction : original effect+lightning effect used by wizard's fortress defense now is in effect for every battle on both sides. Or, a magical vortex starts on the battlefield in the middle.
-Nature Conjunction : original effect+units owned by green wizards have +2 movement
-Sorcery Conjunction : original effect+counter magic in effect in all battles for both sides

disjunction - a very suitable event - mainly to break planar seal . also to break strong overlandspells - like supress magic or tranquility if wizard with mastery cast it. do not remove it.

1) in my mod the excess hammers may be moved to the next object. so 120 hammer city can produce spearmen then paladin - and again...

(September 22nd, 2015, 09:22)Asfex Wrote: disjunction - a very suitable event - mainly to break planar seal . also to break strong overlandspells - like supress magic or tranquility if wizard with mastery cast it. do not remove it.

1) in my mod the excess hammers may be moved to the next object. so 120 hammer city can produce spearmen then paladin - and again...

Disjunction and Disjunction True are more powerful in my mod, if you need to remove an enchantment, you can do it yourself, instead of relying on luck.
Global enchantments are quite expensive, and require an investment of 10-25 turns of spellcasting for each, losing them all to an event is unfair to both the player and the AI.
Suppress Magic and Tranqulity have been altered too, you don't need them removed so badly anymore. Suppress can't counter spells that cost 1000 or more mana so you can still cast spells safely if you choose the right ones. Tranquility only adds research, it isn't important to remove it at all.

Meanwhile, I fixed towns being unable to lose population if maxed even when having negative food production. That was a pretty serious mistake from the original developers, skipping population growth calculations on maxed towns before checking if it's negative instead of after. This fix will be in 0.42.

Another question :
I found the code for the Grand Vizier and I wonder, am I the only one who thinks this would be a pretty awesome feature if it only produced buildings, and not units? And maybe, have no effect if a unit production order has been selected by the player?
Edit : I actually made it to do that already. It'll only build buildings and will not override the order if you are producing units.

I'm planning to release 0.42 tomorrow, I want to at the very least play some turns to see none of the changes caused instability, I suggest waiting for that before starting any new games.
On top of what's already been mentioned, I managed to
-Make Death units able to heal naturally, but I made zombies, wraiths and skeletons exceptions (also created undead still cannot heal)
-Make production and population growth excess carry over after after completion
-Gave elven magicians Magic Immunity (and a cost of 180)
-Other than the already mentioned improvements on Grand Vizier, now it won't bypass racial building restrictions anymore either.
-Great Wasting will cause +5 unrest to make it have at least one part of the effect that is not inferior to Armageddon.
-Troll resistance was lowered, I forgot to adjust them for some reason, which resulted in Myrror being full of high resist races only.
-And fixed that bug where buying something that was sold or destroyed that turn resulted in a "Ghost" building that appeared in the display but produced nothing.

0.42 is now up for download!

-High Elf Magicians now have Magic Immunity but cost 180 to build.
-Fixed the bug that max population cities couldn't lose population as well as gain, instead of only being unable to gain.
-Great Wasting now causes +5 unrest in every nonfriendly town
-All units reduce unrest now, even heroes
-Reduced the resistance of most Troll units. I seem to have overlooked them when adjusting normal unit resistances, being the last race in the database.
-Grand Vizier will no longer attempt to build unavailable buildings.
-AI Building choices : Adjusted the priority of various building types. Reassigned some buildings into other groups to reflect their new function better. Note : This data is actually used by the Grand Wizier too, which assumes the player is a Pragmatist wizard (can be changed if you change the personality of your wizard by an editor, the actual personality value is used). The following buildings received a huge priority boost : Granary, Farmer's Market, Marketplace, Sawmill, Library, this does not guarantee they'll all be be chosen first but it's quite unlikely to build anything else while there are not built since they have priority in the thousands compared to the other building's tens.
-Grand Vizier will never build units for you, only buildings.
-Grand Vizier will never change your production order if you are producing units in the city. If you want to stop making units, you need to change to a building or trade goods or housing manually and the Vizier will take over for you after that order is complete.
-Fixed Bug : re-buying a bulding that was destroyed or sold this turn results in an “ghost” building, it is there but has no effect. Looks like this was caused by some code which belongs to an unimplemented feature, if you build something that is already built (not even possible), it increases the building's status by 1 instead of normally building it. Maybe a building level up system they decided not to go with?
-Excess production will now carry over to the next project and isn't lost.
-Excess population growth when reaching the next 1000 will not be lost.
-Death units can now heal naturally both on field and in town, except for : Zombies, Skeletons, Wraiths, raised undead. They still cannot be healed by other means (including life and nature spells etc)

edit : there seems to be some memory corruption problem, I get mercenaries showing up with inappropriate abilities. 0.41 seems to be working fine. I wonder which change caused it. Until I find the source of the problem, I'll keep 0.41 available for download instead.

Fixed the problem in the previous version, 0.43 is now up, and should work properly.
-Trolls cannot build Fantastic Stables as it doesn't unlock any units for them.
-Fixed memory corruption bug from 0.42, I forgot to clear two bytes of unused code in the production carry over edit.
-Re-enabled the land quality check for placing starting fortresses, but now the minimum acceptable is much lower than original, so there are no failed map generations, and you still won't start in the middle of deserts or tundras with a max pop of 5 or less like in previous 0.4x versions. Out of roughly 30 new games generated, none crashed or had a max pop below 10 for the starting city with this setting.
-AI : New unit producing priorities : Now each unit has its own priority value instead of using the formula priority=(cost/10)^2. Priority uses unused byte 19h in the unit tables.
-AI : producing units is prioritized in towns with less than 6 units inside instead of 4.
-AI : AI is now somewhat more likely to build units in general
-AI : AI is now less likely to produce trade goods : instead of doing it in 25% of owned towns, it does so for 25% of the owned towns above the first 6, so no production is wasted at the beginning of the game.
-AI : AI will now build sawmill and smithy even if there are no units in town, before this change it was stuck not building anything in empty dwarven towns as they can't build military units without a smithy, and wasn't willing to build smithy before having at least one unit defending the town. Yes, this will unfortunately leave new outposts more vulnerable but that 1 spearmen wouldn't stop anyone anyway.

Next version will have Magic Immune golems in it, but they will cost 150 to build. They will no longer require an armorer's guild, only an armory and the mechanicians guild. 150 does sound a bit cheap, but it's a single figure unit with only 12 attack strength and no +hit bonus, meaning it hits about as hard as a Fire Elemental only. No threat to any unit that can reliably damage it, but with its high armor, that actually isn't that easy to do.

Crazy question. I'm noting that it seems to be impossible for nomads to build ranger units. it seems that with you removing all the food buildings you removed the animist's guild which was the prereq for the rangers.

(September 23rd, 2015, 13:28)lordgoober Wrote: Crazy question. I'm noting that it seems to be impossible for nomads to build ranger units. it seems that with you removing all the food buildings you removed the animist's guild which was the prereq for the rangers.

Good point, I have to change the required building for the Rangers then. Forester's Guild sounds appropriate, and it doesn't require the Granary.

Meanwhile I'm pretty much losing my game on Impossible difficulty despite getting an awesome start in a continent with 8 gold ores and 3 adamanatium with dwarves. Seems like the AI improvements do have an effect. Clow Reed is already summoning Sky Drakes and I haven't even defeated the weakest enemy wizard yet.

The improved Grand Vizier might be a very small thing, but it's a HUGE quality of life improvement. Seriously, one of the biggest problems I have with playing a long game is how bogged down I get in choosing new buildings for countless cities, it ends up being most of my turn every turn.

Thank you so much for that.

And... If it wouldn't be too much trouble... I really like your mod, but I also like the base game and will likely continue to receive challenge games in it. So do you think you could make a tiny patch that adds the buildings only grand vizier by itself (compatible with insecticide of course). It would be a huge favor to me.

(September 24th, 2015, 06:17)Hadriex Wrote: The improved Grand Vizier might be a very small thing, but it's a HUGE quality of life improvement. Seriously, one of the biggest problems I have with playing a long game is how bogged down I get in choosing new buildings for countless cities, it ends up being most of my turn every turn.

And... If it wouldn't be too much trouble... I really like your mod, but I also like the base game and will likely continue to receive challenge games in it. So do you think you could make a tiny patch that adds the buildings only grand vizier by itself (compatible with insecticide of course). It would be a huge favor to me.

Yes, that's doable. I'll dig out the hex code for you after lunch.
Although...the changes to the Grand Vizier are more deep that just no units, as they use the AI priorities for building, and I modified those a lot. If you want to keep original AI, the Vizier will no longer build the appropriate buildings first either.
Speaking of which, I'm quite sure it actually bypasses racial building restrictions for the priority buildings even in the original game, like Builder's Hall and whatever. The AI and neutral towns also do that. Don't remember but I think even the original had races with no Builder's Hall allowed? Or Granary, Barracks, Smithy, Shrine, and...forgot what was the 6th one.
Seriously, the original game is so full of bugs I sometimes think it's beyond salvation.

Meanwhile, 0.44 is up. Minor changes this time, but it includes the Ranger fix so I released it anyway.

-Golems now only need an Armory instead of an Armorer's Guild, the race already has Hammerhands for that building.
-Golems now have Magic Immunity
-Golems now cost 150 to build.
-Rangers now require a Forester's Guild instead of the impossible to build Animist's Guild.
-AI will now not flee from battle when one of their heroes is in the fight and the enemy has the advantage. While this normally would be a good strategy, heroes aren't following the same rules as normal units in power : A single, well equipped hero can easily outperform a stack of 9 good units, and this potential wasn't reflected in the AI's approximated unit value, at least, I have seen near invincible AI heroes flee and die in shame far too often. In fact, most heroes I couldn't have defeated, died this way. I rather have the AI sacrifice some weaker heroes than to not use their stronger ones to their full potential. The AI can still flee if their entire army is made from settlers and engineers however.
-Dwarves can no longer build Wizard's Guilds and Sage's Guilds. (The race is waaaay too powerful with the strong normal units, high resistance, double gold, and double mineral bonus, also dwarves hate magic usually)
-AI Combat spellcasting targeting : AI will now consider units with a resistance greater than 6 invalid targets for Drain Life, greater than 10 invalid for Syphon Life.
-AI Combat spellcasting targeting : AI will now consider units with a resistance of 8 or higher after spell save modifiers invalid for resistance roll based curses instead of 10 or higher (using a spell for 10-20% chance is outright stupid and a waste of mana). Instant kill spells (Petrify, Banish, etc) are not affected.
-War Mammoths now have 10 health per figure instead of 12.
-Added another +7 AI priority to Doom Bolt

Grand Vizier buildings only change (only listing the new bytes where more than one was replaced) :
E4AF5 : 26 83 7F 1C 64 7F EF 90 90 90 90 90 90 90
E514E : 75 -> EB
E4F61 : E9 EC 01
BC948 : 75 -> EB
I think that's all.
Does anyone know a plain text hex based differential patch maker software? One that compares the files, lists the changes in a .txt file, and can apply them back from the same .txt after I edit the necessary parts out/in?
If I ever want to apply all the bug fixes to the original game, I will definitely need one.

(September 24th, 2015, 06:17)Hadriex Wrote: The improved Grand Vizier might be a very small thing, but it's a HUGE quality of life improvement. Seriously, one of the biggest problems I have with playing a long game is how bogged down I get in choosing new buildings for countless cities, it ends up being most of my turn every turn.

I second this! Having a practical Grand Vizier would make larger games feasible. I quit Master of Magic for a long time because the middle and endgame bogged down in endless micromangement. Tons of cities to keep and decide what needs to be built next, garrisons to build, and the more you win the game, the more you have to deal with. You've got hero stacks, replacement stacks to fill up the hero stacks when units die, forward garrison stacks to relieve the hero stacks from sitting on cities, it's just a big mass of things going on, none of them fun.

Thank goodness I learned to play on small maps, where you build your core of 4-5 cities and be done with it. I would just raze cities, but that incurs a substantial fame penalty, plus total population is where most of your score comes from. Having 80+ fame has a large effect on your gold income, and you can't hire champions unless you've got a high fame. Razing is just a poor option.