For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Freddy is an Old Giza

(November 13th, 2015, 16:28)Krill Wrote: Star Trek > Star Wars

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but if so, which Star Trek is the best Star Trek? Thanks, and I'll take my answer off the air. popcorn

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

I hope for his sake FinTourist isn't a Trekkie.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

(November 13th, 2015, 16:45)Mardoc Wrote:
(November 13th, 2015, 16:03)Miguelito Wrote: The Ewoks were the Jar Jar of the 80s.
Yeah. Wish they'd kept it as Wookiees.

The real question is, who's going to be the Jar Jar of the next trilogy?

Please God no. Can we please have good characters that aren't annoying, please please please? If there's a Jar Jar in the next one I hope he gets conspicuously killed really quickly.

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

DS9.
BTS games: PB1, PB3, PBEM2, PBEM4, PBEM5B, PBEM50. RB mod games: PBEM16, PBEM20, PB5, PB15, PB26, PB27, PB37, PB42, PB46, PB71. FFH games: PBEMVII, PBEMXII. Games ded lurked: PBEM17, PB16, PB18

Golfclap

I can't fault most of your arguments Xenu. The ones where Lucas didn't have complete control are the best - the horribly wooden performances from otherwise decent actors (Natalie Portman, Ewan MacGregor, Yoda) in the prequels makes me wonder how much money a good screenwriter and a better director would have made out of the story... "George, you can type this shit, but you sure as hell can't say it."

C3-P0 was the Jar-Jar of IV-VI. Except because its racist against Brits no-one minded. shhh

And we all know Babylon 5 rules, right?

If you ain't careful Xenu is going to delete this thread with that sort of talk...

How is C3-PO racist against Brits? Is it a stereotype to believe that all Brits excel at human/cyborg relations? wink

I'm not deleting any threads--the rebels stole the files, that's what happened!

Great review. I agree with your analysis. A random observation is that I really, really like the slow starting pace of Episode IV, and I think that's why I sort of like Episode I as well, because it's the slowest of the prequel movies, and I apparently like slow starts to my fiction. Anyone ever read (don't ever, ever watch) Dune?

(Random factual nitpick: Episode VI is supposed to take place a full year after Episode V ends, hence how Yoda's health has managed to deteriorate so much. Not that you'd figure this out just from watching the films.)

C-3PO isn't racist against Brits; OH meant the classic films are racist against Brits. We have a British droid of questionable masculinity and undeniable inutility and an oppressive, outlandishly-malevolent empire apparently officered entirely by British people, who are opposed by a Rebellion centred around freedom-loving [strikethrough]Americans[/strikethrough] Corellians. The only cool British person is Obi-Wan, and he dead. The prejudice is more noticeable in the prequel films where the craven, money-grubbing Neimoidians are quite clearly Chinese.

OH: Star Wars naming scheme?

(November 14th, 2015, 00:25)TheHumanHydra Wrote: OH: Star Wars naming scheme?

I was planning on an ancient Egypt theme, but if you can come up with an original take on Star Wars (I'm pretty sure just using planets and characters has been done before) then I might...

Turn 5

This is more like it! TWO riverside plains wines jive. Actually, the second one allows me to cottage the first, so that's an upside. Next scout move will uncover more forest and coast, so unless there is seafood or deer I'm struggling to see a strong second city. Planting on the stone could be a good long-term 3rd or 4th city with those pigs, but its so slow to start and would have to share the pigs anyway, so I'm more inclined towards NE of stone.

TheWannabe just got a no-soldiers tech, so I'm going to call that Fishing and assume he's making 12-14 raw beakers a turn to my 10 at this point.

Quote:Anyone ever read (don't ever, ever watch) Dune?

Yeah, I really enjoyed Dune, but I couldn't drag myself very far through the sequels. I remember liking Episode 4 as well, I'm curious to see if that stands up this time around. It's quite possible I originally liked Ben Kenobi just because we shared the same name. crazyeye