For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

[Spoilers] Freddy is an Old Giza

Any updates?

Turn 19

A BEAR!!!

He probably won't be a problem, as our worker and settler can stay within our borders until the stone/wheat city is settled and that's 15 turns away anyway. I was wondering if roading the plains hill then the diagonal forest would be more flexible long-term than roading the forest E of Thebes, but it does put our worker at risk for two turns. [I manage this by delaying the farm for city 2 by a turn (which doesn't affect growth to size two as I want to put some production into a worker to allow a whip immediately when the city hits size four) and by not building the plains mine you built THH - its possible to road three forests while waiting for BW. So do the extra roads and working a 2/1/0 forest outweigh the benefit of a 0/4 mine when building settlers/workers?]

It looks like we got a forest growth on the hill 2W of Thebes - the snowy trees make me think we're on the northern edge of the map.

Pyramids
In my sims I've been aiming to build the Pyramids in the pig city, which meant putting it 1S of the pigs and so delayed hooking horses. But Thebes now has eight forests and could generate a bunch of overflow from worker and settler whips. With a plains mine at size 4 it makes 6hpt, so six chops (180*2=360 hammers), the overflow from a 6-4 worker whip (40*2=80) and five turns of natural production would finish them. We get masonry long before maths though so it might get about ten turns of production and only five chops.

It'd be nice to get them in the pig city to pop borders and establish cultural control over a border region, but we can plant another city 2E of the pigs and earmark 11 forests for various wonders, to pressure our southern neighbour.

Speaking of neighbours it's turn 19 and we haven't met anyone yet. I'm lonely frown. I assume that we have neighbours to the east, south and west, but with no huts on the map exploring your home area makes more sense than uncovering neighbours. The scout is almost healed now, so shall we send him west or south or keep him nearby to help with fogbusting or settling cities?

[on topic]
contemplate If the bear was replaced with a Sith lord would that be a problem for your worker micro? [Image: sSW_jedi.gif][Image: run.gif]

[Image: sSW_saberfight.gif]

[/on topic]

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

The plains mine was mostly 'something to do' while roading over and getting ready to farm the wheat, so sure, drop it if you'd like (I can't remember if that affects any build timings, but you're probably not going to be following what I did, anyway).

If you're sending the worker outside our borders, I'd keep the scout nearby (or, you know, count how many turns you can have him away), especially given the demonstrated presence of Sith Lords nearby; otherwise, I have to admit I'm curious about the south, but maybe that's something a warrior should scout out later given the rough terrain will prevent our scout from taking full advantage of his mobility. Up to you.

Turn 20

Uh, guys? Anyone know if these things can enter borders?

eek

I think we've got someone to our west as well as east and south, so how about sending the scout west to make contact and when we have a spare warrior they can head south over the rough terrain?

Question for the lurkers - are we allowed to build wonders in multiple cities for the failgold? I can put ~150 hammers in to the pyramids in the capital before settling a forest city when Maths comes in to complete them with eight chops around t72. The gold then lets me tech Aesthetics/Literature or Calendar and the GE from the Pyramids city can build TGLib or MoM around t93. Need to figure out if those are competitive times.

Wild bantha can't enter borders but the one near your city is domesticated. The rider makes it behave like other barb units, so it can enter borders. You're going to want a spear for that one, so maybe he'll dicker around a while until you finish BW? Horrible luck with one spawning so early, good luck! alright

Played: Pitboss 18 - Kublai Khan of Germany Somalia | Pitboss 11 - De Gaulle of Byzantium | Pitboss 8 - Churchill of Portugal | PB7 - Mao of Native America | PBEM29 Greens - Mao of Babylon

You could always equip your dogs with this to scare them off.

Turn 22

(November 25th, 2015, 13:37)wetbandit Wrote: You could always equip your dogs with this to scare them off.

I haven't researched textiles yet. frown

(November 25th, 2015, 10:07)spacetyrantxenu Wrote: Wild bantha can't enter borders but the one near your city is domesticated. The rider makes it behave like other barb units, so it can enter borders. You're going to want a spear for that one, so maybe he'll dicker around a while until you finish BW? Horrible luck with one spawning so early, good luck! alright

eek Well luckily I don't think we were the civ they were looking for and they disappeared off into the fog. But I changed our research just in case.

I went with your size-2 settler plan over my size-3 plan THH - I reckon it costs four beakers, eight food and two hammers in the capital, but it gains six food and two hammers from the second city being planted two turns earlier and allows the wheat to be improved earlier which I *think* outweighs that cost (especially since the cap doesn't have really great tiles to exploit). My only concern is that we don't see copper until the turn the settler needs to move, so we don't have much flexibility with moving our second city if we want to.

Glad to have helped in some way (?, tbd by future). Any idea what you will build after the settler?

Turn 23

(November 26th, 2015, 23:06)TheHumanHydra Wrote: Glad to have helped in some way (?, tbd by future). Any idea what you will build after the settler?

I think its settler->warrior->work boat->granary, you can check the spreadsheet I'm using to see how I compared size 3 with size 2 and how my thoughts evolve. I'm currently torn over building granaries or settlers ~t46 with only two cities. I'm inclined towards the granaries as cities 3&4 haven't got much commerce going on and the date for Maths is the limiting factor on the Pyramids push. The thing is, getting to t50 with only two cities is definite lead boots territory. bang

Back to the turn and we have a 70% chance that our scouting stops right here...

In news we have some control over: next turn I have to make a decision about where to road. The pink line speeds two forest chops, the blue line allows one bonus mine-turn into the plains hill and gives the best long-term layout, but requires the scout to survive and stand watch from the hill, while I think the red line gives a decent long-term layout but only speeds one forest chop. Are there any options I've missed? I was going to go for blue, but with the scout about to die red seems more sensible. Or perhaps a version of blue that roads the plains tile instead of the forest and uses the extra turn to mine the plains hill...