For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

New year, New Master of Magic! v1.5 fan patch

The patch does improve treasure the treasure generating algorithm, one of the effects is those are less frequent. I asked people on the forum and the consensus was to include treasure generation changes.

You can still find them but you probably had bad luck with it. Considering the unpatched game had like 10 of them in every map, they were so frequent, luck was not really a factor.
More importantly, treasure is generated at the start of your game. Reloading and fighting the same place again will give you the same category of treasure, so if the map was low on these when generated, no matter how many times you try reloading, you won't get more of them.

If you don't like these changes, you can apply a reversion to the appropriate patch files and then apply the reversed patch to remove the effect. All the treasure related patches are starting with an "M", generally having a low number, and the files have a description in them in plain text so you can find them easily.
I don't really recommend removing them though as being able to find a dozen books and specials each game really devalues your starting choices, also note the AI can get the treasure so having more high end treasure isn't necessary to your advantage.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought there was something wrong. If its WAI then no worries.

Thanks much for this MoM update.

I'm using this with GOG.com's MoM which is based on 1.31. No issues there.

I'd like to use some of the optional patches. but fileset won't work on my Windows 7 Pro system. Attempting to run it gives: 

This version of L:\GOG Games\Master of Magic\FILESET.EXE is not compatible with
the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information
to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and 
then contact the software publisher.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. much.

It's a DOS exe. Run it in DOSBOX if your windows is too new to handle it.

(October 24th, 2018, 07:48)Seravy Wrote: It's a DOS exe. Run it in DOSBOX if your windows is too new to handle it.

Thank you!

Thank you for your work Seravy! This is awesome!

Is the Master150Final.zip patch still available for download? Or the patch 1.51? Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see anything in the Downloads on the linked website, in the first post on page 1, aside of unrelated anime characters and some other stuff. And the listed Master of Magic versions have no linked download to them.
To explain, I've got still the old Master of Magic 1.31 CD, and was hoping to use the patch 1.50 on it, as the numerous improvements and fixes of the base game bugs all sound very impressive. Or does that patch entail me having to buy Master of Magic from GoG to actually be able to use those fixes?

P.S. actually nevermind, I seem to have found the answer to that. Guess it's either the still bug-ridden Insecticide, or pay cash for bug fixes. Or just stick with the old plain 1.31 CD.