I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

New year, New Master of Magic! v1.5 fan patch

I was attacking an Elvish city with a group of hammerhands. The defenders were mostly halberders with a single catapult. I dropped Web on the catapult and then engaged auto-combat. The hammerhands made quick work of the defenders, but declined to attack the catapult. Once I turned off auto, I had no trouble attacking it manually. This was on RC9, although I started the game with RC7.

Here's a save file. The city in question is Prose, a red city in the upper middle of the Arcanus supercontinent.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...0488059178

(January 27th, 2016, 01:32)spottedshroom Wrote: I was attacking an Elvish city with a group of hammerhands. The defenders were mostly halberders with a single catapult. I dropped Web on the catapult and then engaged auto-combat. The hammerhands made quick work of the defenders, but declined to attack the catapult. Once I turned off auto, I had no trouble attacking it manually. This was on RC9, although I started the game with RC7.

Here's a save file. The city in question is Prose, a red city in the upper middle of the Arcanus supercontinent.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...0488059178

The catapult is standing on the central structure's square. That square is impossible to enter in cities. I'm surprised manual attacks worked.

Nevertheless, this is a new bug since 1.40n. I just loaded the same save on that version and everything works as expected.

(January 27th, 2016, 19:31)spottedshroom Wrote: Nevertheless, this is a new bug since 1.40n. I just loaded the same save on that version and everything works as expected.

Fixed it yesterday, the bug itself isn't new, just relocated.
1.40 and earlier did this if you fought outside a city, but didn't place a unit in that starting position so it was harder to notice. You had to walk into it.
I fixed that bug by moving it to the correct case, the city...but the starting positions ignored it, units were placed into the inaccessible square anyway.
So yesterday I fixed the starting positions, it'll be included in the next version.

You added a fix to allow pathfinding units to use enchanted roads, correct? If so, it doesn't seem to work with pathfinding/water walking units, only ones with pure pathfinding.

(January 28th, 2016, 22:07)spottedshroom Wrote: You added a fix to allow pathfinding units to use enchanted roads, correct? If so, it doesn't seem to work with pathfinding/water walking units, only ones with pure pathfinding.

The game can't tell the difference between Non-Corporeal which cannot use roads and Pathfinding+Waterwalking, which is the exact same movement type from different sources. This is pretty buggy though, stacking the noncorporeal unit with a normal unit results in walking movement and allows the noncorporeal to use roads anyway.
It might be worth removing the restriction completely as it is not really working as intended.

I'd vote for removing the restriction completely.

Looks like I found another bug. In this save file, press Next Turn and it'll spit out some # characters and crash to DOS. Doesn't happen loading the game in 1.40n.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...6462572245

(January 29th, 2016, 19:51)spottedshroom Wrote: Looks like I found another bug. In this save file, press Next Turn and it'll spit out some # characters and crash to DOS. Doesn't happen loading the game in 1.40n.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...6462572245

Confirmed, I'll try to track which change caused the bug.
Edit : the file from 01.17 is crashing but the 01.14 isn't so it's from one of those changes.
...the source of the bug is the new shortest path algorithm.

I don't see anything wrong in the code...

...if I change the code to ignore cells that have a negative cost to enter, on top of the -1 which is the "official" value for inaccessible, there is no crash. So although I have no idea why, I suspect there was a map cell with a negative cost to enter on the map, which resulted in the shortest path being...going through that map cell an infinite number of times, which is the recipe for an infinite loop.

Uploaded the hopefully fixed version, RC10.

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm afraid I'm still getting crashes on that same saved game file with RC10. It's a different crash - sometimes it freezes, sometimes it crashes to DOS, sometimes it takes down the entire dosemu process - but it's still crashing.