Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

New year, New Master of Magic! v1.5 fan patch

(January 30th, 2016, 15:07)spottedshroom Wrote: Thanks for the quick response, but I'm afraid I'm still getting crashes on that same saved game file with RC10. It's a different crash - sometimes it freezes, sometimes it crashes to DOS, sometimes it takes down the entire dosemu process - but it's still crashing.

Interesting, it indeed does crash still. Funny thing is, if I load the save in CoM, it works. This will be hard to figure out. In theory, the two should be the same.

...well no surprise the crash is from the fortress cost modifier fix, the only thing not included in CoM. More specifically, one of the patches overwrote the relocation table changes needed for that fix. This is why I didn't want to do anything except copy-paste stuff, it creates such incompatibilities, but the fortress cost bug really had to get fixed, it was far too severe.

RC11 up, the only change is fixing this problem.

Works for me, thanks!

RC9 appears to have broken the flight ability from Chaos Channels's "demon wings" version. The movement type shows up as flying in the unit's right-click info, their movement points increase, and they get scouting, but they don't actually fly on the overland map. Combat works as expected. The Flight spell also still works. Here's a sample file.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...4859966701

(February 4th, 2016, 20:18)spottedshroom Wrote: RC9 appears to have broken the flight ability from Chaos Channels's "demon wings" version. The movement type shows up as flying in the unit's right-click info, their movement points increase, and they get scouting, but they don't actually fly on the overland map. Combat works as expected. The Flight spell also still works. Here's a sample file.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...4859966701

Indeed, I'm quite sure I forgot that spell when writing the new movement type procedure. Will fix it tomorrow morning.

RC12 is up. Fixes Chaos Channel flight, Resist to ALl and Holy Bonus now shows the bonus level, and some AI updates.

You would post a new version just as I find another problem with the movement type procedure...

Anyway, I just noticed Wind Walking also appears to be broken. Also works before RC9, so I assume it's in the same routine.

(February 5th, 2016, 19:10)spottedshroom Wrote: You would post a new version just as I find another problem with the movement type procedure...

Anyway, I just noticed Wind Walking also appears to be broken. Also works before RC9, so I assume it's in the same routine.

Edit :
Reuploaded with the windwalking fix (still RC12)

Hello Seravy! Thank you for your efforts in patching this buggy old game.

I made some suggestions to Kyrub for his 1.4 patch in another thread.
I will pass them on to you.
Probably you have already fixed some of these issues but I haven't had time to read the changelog for the 1.5 patch.

Quote:In the 1.4 patch notes it says:
- incessant city growth messages are now limited by POP < 10,000

but actually it only reports city growth up to 8,000 people.
These messages do not disturb or slow the game at all because they are dismissed by a single click. Removing them is the one thing I dislike about your patch. It both takes away from the sense of empire progression and increases micromanagement by making me have to check each city each turn for new citizens. If you fix one thing in your next edition insecticide let it be this.
Also can you make the chancellor repeat the news of city growth instead of only reporting growths from outposts into hamlets?

I love being able to press the left and right keys to turn the pages of the spellbook but it doesn't work in combat mode.

Sometimes it still seems like continents have a dominant race that comprise 75% of the cities. Can you check the code to see if it is really fixed?

You forgot to increase the holding capacity of warships. They can only fit 3 units.

Your changes to wind mastery don't work in combat. Enemy wind mastery makes trireme move 1. Your own wind mastery makes triremes move 3.

Suggestions:

Is it possible to make roads show on the cartographer map?
Is is possible to make towers of wizardry more distinguishable on the cartographer map? Presently they are only a faintly different colour than nodes/lairs.

Immolation enchantment shows up twice in the unit information window. It's showing both as an enchant and an ability for some reason. This takes too much space in the infobox and should be fixed.

In real life it takes muscle to pull back a bow. Can you make gaint strength spell and might ability affect ranged missile attacks?

Prosperity enchantment shows wrongly on Dwarven cities when you click on the gold output. Is this fixable?

On the save/load screen can you add the hotkeys Q-quit, S-settings, O-ok?

Can you make it so I don't get chaos mastery reward from a tough zone when I have no chaos books or get divine power when I have infernal power?

When I cast planar travel on a galley it cannot bring its passengers to the other plane. Fixing this would make ocean have more strategic depthcool

The surveyor doesn't count wild game when displaying the max city size of a tile until after a settlement is established.
If you point to an empty tile with a wild game tile nearby and it says 12 max pop; when you build an outpost there the surveyor will say 14 max pop.

Chancellor reports are not stored in the save file.
The chancellor recalls certain events that happen at the beggining of each turn such as city growth. If you save the game and then reload the game to the same turn the chancellor will be blank.

Chain mail and plate mail that you don't make yourself(treasure, merchant, killed AI hero, gift of gods event) don't give their innate +1 and +2 def bonus they're supposed to have.

Dwarf settlers don't have mountaineer even though High elf settlers have forester.

When a city is captured each building has a 10% chance to be destroyed. For neutral cities this chance is 50%.
Why would troops be so much more ravaging to a town just because it isn't owned by a wizard?

Magic items from lairs have nonsensical spellbook requirements.
It doesn't make sense that magic items guarded by monsters are affected by what books you choose. These items are supposed to be relics from forgotten times made by wizards vanished ages ago. It's not even implemented properly. No item ever requires death books even if they have death powers. Many items have impossible book requirements so can only be gotten from merchants.

Can you put a readout of the current turn (out of 50) during combat. You can delete the auto-battle button and put this timer in its place.

Some missing in MOM that is present in other 4X is the ability to rename captured cities. Is it possible to implement this?

Quote:In the 1.4 patch notes it says:
- incessant city growth messages are now limited by POP < 10,000

but actually it only reports city growth up to 8,000 people.
These messages do not disturb or slow the game at all because they are dismissed by a single click. Removing them is the one thing I dislike about your patch.
I noticed this change and wasn't sure what to do with it, it's not bad but...not really needed either. I can undo it.
Edit : Added a poll for this on my site.

Quote:I love being able to press the left and right keys to turn the pages of the spellbook but it doesn't work in combat mode.
I don't know much about interface and keyboard input.

Quote:Sometimes it still seems like continents have a dominant race that comprise 75% of the cities. Can you check the code to see if it is really fixed?
75% is exactly the amount I found in the code. I only changed it for CoM because this clearly falls into the modding category.
I can make an optional patch file out of it but no idea how it was supposed to be instead? CoM just eliminates this entirely.

Quote:You forgot to increase the holding capacity of warships. They can only fit 3 units.
I did that about 2 updates ago.

Quote:Your changes to wind mastery don't work in combat. Enemy wind mastery makes trireme move 1. Your own wind mastery makes triremes move 3.
Wind Mastery doesn't exist in CoM so I'm not going to touch it.

Quote:Is it possible to make roads show on the cartographer map?
Most likely not.

Quote:Is is possible to make towers of wizardry more distinguishable on the cartographer map? Presently they are only a faintly different colour than nodes/lairs.
Maybe.

Quote:Immolation enchantment shows up twice in the unit information window. It's showing both as an enchant and an ability for some reason. This takes too much space in the infobox and should be fixed.
This patch actually makes this happen to ALL enchantments. The enchantment grants the unit ability, so the ability not showing up is a bug, even if it taking less space. On the plus side you can also see things like the Weapon Immunity from invulnerability for example.

Quote:In real life it takes muscle to pull back a bow. Can you make gaint strength spell and might ability affect ranged missile attacks?
Mod, not bugfix/AI improvement. In CoM the spell no longer exists.

Quote:Prosperity enchantment shows wrongly on Dwarven cities when you click on the gold output. Is this fixable?
Might be fixed in CoM, not sure. I didn't copy the gold display changes because they contain lots of modding.

Quote:On the save/load screen can you add the hotkeys Q-quit, S-settings, O-ok?
That would be nice, wish I knew how hotkeys work.

Quote:Can you make it so I don't get chaos mastery reward from a tough zone when I have no chaos books or get divine power when I have infernal power?
Fixed in CoM. Again, cannot be copied because that area contains modding. The latter cannot be fixed as far as I remember, but the retorts are merged into one in CoM and have no requirement.

Quote:When I cast planar travel on a galley it cannot bring its passengers to the other plane. Fixing this would make ocean have more strategic depthcool
Not a bug. You need to cast Planar Travel on the other units as well, just like in any other case.

Quote:The surveyor doesn't count wild game when displaying the max city size of a tile until after a settlement is established.
If you point to an empty tile with a wild game tile nearby and it says 12 max pop; when you build an outpost there the surveyor will say 14 max pop.
Would probably be harder to fix than what it's worth doing so. It is also wrong on node terrains and maybe a few more idk.

Quote:Chancellor reports are not stored in the save file.
The chancellor recalls certain events that happen at the beggining of each turn such as city growth. If you save the game and then reload the game to the same turn the chancellor will be blank.
Can't change this.

Quote:Chain mail and plate mail that you don't make yourself(treasure, merchant, killed AI hero, gift of gods event) don't give their innate +1 and +2 def bonus they're supposed to have.
Would need to edit itemmake.exe for this, I'll add to my list of things to do.

Quote:Dwarf settlers don't have mountaineer even though High elf settlers have forester.
Not sure if bug or intentional.

Quote:When a city is captured each building has a 10% chance to be destroyed. For neutral cities this chance is 50%.
Why would troops be so much more ravaging to a town just because it isn't owned by a wizard?
No idea why this is in the game. I removed it for CoM but it's clearly a mod so not added to 1.50.

Quote:Magic items from lairs have nonsensical spellbook requirements.
It doesn't make sense that magic items guarded by monsters are affected by what books you choose. These items are supposed to be relics from forgotten times made by wizards vanished ages ago. It's not even implemented properly. No item ever requires death books even if they have death powers. Many items have impossible book requirements so can only be gotten from merchants.
Book requirements of lairs was removed in insecticide contrary to what Kryub posted, at least in the final version. This patch also removes them from Gift of Gods.

Quote:Can you put a readout of the current turn (out of 50) during combat.
Already done.

Quote:Some missing in MOM that is present in other 4X is the ability to rename captured cities. Is it possible to implement this?
Most likely not.

Quote:
Quote:Sometimes it still seems like continents have a dominant race that comprise 75% of the cities. Can you check the code to see if it is really fixed?
75% is exactly the amount I found in the code. I only changed it for CoM because this clearly falls into the modding category.
I can make an optional patch file out of it but no idea how it was supposed to be instead? CoM just eliminates this entirely.

This is by design. It mimics real continents which have a dominant population.

Quote:
Quote:In real life it takes muscle to pull back a bow. Can you make gaint strength spell and might ability affect ranged missile attacks?
Mod, not bugfix/AI improvement. In CoM the spell no longer exists.

The spell description clearly states that it only affects melee attack.

Quote:
Quote:When I cast planar travel on a galley it cannot bring its passengers to the other plane. Fixing this would make ocean have more strategic depthcool
Not a bug. You need to cast Planar Travel on the other units as well, just like in any other case.

That is pretty clearly an attempted exploit.

Quote:
Quote:Chancellor reports are not stored in the save file.
Can't change this.

I have never seen any MoM player do anything but click this screen away in annoyance. Nobody pays attention to it. I usually keep it turned off, unless I am playing a slow-growth race where it is critical to micromanage my cities.