For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

New year, New Master of Magic! v1.5 fan patch

(January 5th, 2016, 16:58)GreyWolf Wrote: I noticed right now that with the latest build the AI attempted to attack my Sprites with walking units, and lost while dealing no damage. Another Sprite was Black Sleep-ed by the AI in this battle, so maybe this was the reason for such a behaviour. Seems like it needs to be fixed.

That's...interesting, the AI shouldn't try to attack flying units with walking ones at all.
They didn't happen to have an invalid ranged attack that got switched into melee as a replacement?
Like Guardian Wind on the sprites and the enemy had bowmen?
The AI assigns it's own priority to every single unit and those that are invalid cannot get selected. Or at least that's what's supposed to happen, unless an immunity swaps the valid ranged attack into the invalid melee (which can even happen to the player).

Nope, the attackers were Kali's undead (formerly mine, converted though Ghouls) Gnoll Spearmen and the defenders were Sprites without enchantments. The Sprites were the only units in my attacking army. On other occasions, the lair guardians correctly refrained from attacking my Sprite-only armies.

(January 5th, 2016, 18:38)GreyWolf Wrote: Nope, the attackers were Kali's undead (formerly mine, converted though Ghouls) Gnoll Spearmen and the defenders were Sprites without enchantments. The Sprites were the only units in my attacking army. On other occasions, the lair guardians correctly refrained from attacking my Sprite-only armies.

Okay, added to my list, I'll see if I can reproduce it. I remember the wiki mentioned this bug but I don't think I have even seen it actually happen.

Does anyone have a save file which I can use to reproduce the split tower stack bug?
It needs to
-Be one turn prior to you attacking an enemy stack in a tower, or your stack being attacked at one.
-On entering combat, some units need to fail to enter the battle (and remain in the other plane, resulting in two stacks on the same map cell after the end of the battle).
This needs to happen every time after loading the save, unless further action besides the attack, is taken.

I haven't found anything in the code yet, and I can't reproduce the bug at all, it is rare and I usually only get to save after it happens, not the turn before.
The save can be for any MoM version (1.31, 1.40, CoM, 1.50RC).
I need to at least know if it is because the flag of the unit being in the tower is not set, or because it is set bug not recognized anyway.

If you know how to consistently produce a bugged stack in the tower, that would be even better, as that would give me some hints on what can cause it.

(January 5th, 2016, 18:43)Seravy Wrote:
(January 5th, 2016, 18:38)GreyWolf Wrote: Nope, the attackers were Kali's undead (formerly mine, converted though Ghouls) Gnoll Spearmen and the defenders were Sprites without enchantments. The Sprites were the only units in my attacking army. On other occasions, the lair guardians correctly refrained from attacking my Sprite-only armies.

Okay, added to my list, I'll see if I can reproduce it. I remember the wiki mentioned this bug but I don't think I have even seen it actually happen.

Ah, so it's likely a rare vanilla bug than something introduced in the new patches.

Can there be an optional 'no + to hit/range' bonus from magic weapons? I thought it was a popular modding request in the 'how to mod' page.

Removing the magic weapon to hit/range bonus was originally simply done by changing 8f072, 8f073, 8f0d8, 8f0d9 to all 90. The problem is that the 1.50 version has different hex codes for those 4, making any changes crash the game.

Otherwise, I'd probably have to dig through and try to find which of the patches changed those 8f072, 8f073, 8f0d8, 8f0d9

(January 6th, 2016, 07:05)zitro1987 Wrote: Can there be an optional 'no + to hit/range' bonus from magic weapons? I thought it was a popular modding request in the 'how to mod' page.

Removing the magic weapon to hit/range bonus was originally simply done by changing 8f072, 8f073, 8f0d8, 8f0d9 to all 90. The problem is that the 1.50 version has different hex codes for those 4, making any changes crash the game.

Otherwise, I'd probably have to dig through and try to find which of the patches changed those 8f072, 8f073, 8f0d8, 8f0d9

Melee + to hit
8F056 FE C0 -> 90 90
Ranged + to hit
8F0D8 FE C0 -> 90 90

I've managed to confirm the existence of the "Sleep makes AI attack flying unit" bug. Weird. The priorities of the individual targets should be correct (otherwise they would also attack when nothing sleeps) so this means the AI somehow ends up not going with the highest priority target, and even taking one with "invalid" priority instead, which is a serious bug.

Edit : Holy god, so this is why!
After the correct target has been selected, but before the actual attack is done, there is an extra adjustment. If there is another unit that is closer but is the same type of unit (like, both are sprites), the target is replaced by the closest such unit!
So it's not a bug, but a feature to attack the closest thing available. Of course it's not detailed enough to see the difference between a flying and not flying unit. And all the effort to go after the most damaged one is among those that are reachable in the actual priority calculation is wasted here.
I believe we need to disable this "feature" ASAP :D
There is one more of these "features", if one of our own unit is already attacking something, and our target is the same type of unit, it changes targets to that one. Probably to force everything to attack the same target. And here the distance and damaged unit considerations get wasted, too, not to mention if the initial unit was flying and capable to attack sprites, but the other 4 were not, they'd still try doing it omg.

At this point I'm sure there will be an RC3 but I want to go over the remaining problems first before I release it.

Thanks so much Seravy! You just saved my mod from needing major balance work.

Playing on RC3, Tiny, 4 opponents, Normal, 1.0 Magic. First time I've played on Normal in a coon's age. Trying the Tiny size to see what it's like. I'm a big advocate of Small, but I'm not sure how Tiny is going to work out. There's already not much terrain in Small. (after) Tiny seemed OK, it definitely solves the "I don't like managing dozens of cities" problem. Now that the CPs can use naval units effectively, it seems a whole new ballgame.

Can't select both life and death magic. I went with Famous/Charismatic to see more of the new items, and 4 Chaos 4 Sorcery. A pretty generic choice. Halflings because I never get to play them, and this is just a testing game anyway.

Might want to check the Settings screen in the RC and set it to recommended settings. I advocate Revolting Raiders/Monsters Gone Wild off. Turn on all the music. Turn on all messages, the player can turn them off later. End of turn summary off because that's an "advanced" option that's off by default in v1.31. Turn on all Display options except Expand Help.

Turn 1: put all power into mana (8mp) and begin casting Magic Spirit, press End Turn. Turn 2: have 8 mana in pool, spell is still uncast. Turn 3: mana in pool empty, Magic Spirit 14mp.

Mountaineer still takes its entire movement allowance to travel on plains? I thought that was a bug.

Magic spirit ran into Raven but I did not get a "greeting" screen. I had to move adjacent to his city before I got the screen. Met Tlaloc and didn't move next to his city, it appears he greets you on the next turn after you meet him. They used to greet you right away, as soon as you discovered one of their units and clicked end turn.

My home continent's nodes: hell hounds, phantom warriors, war bears, nagas. Tower: cockatrices. Encounter zones: stone giant, guardian spirit, sprites, sprites. Seems like x1.0 magic has created some very achievable low-level places. Insecticide always seemed to be some powerful, some pathetic, and it was hard to carve out a path for low-level heroes unless you got lucky with some zombies or something. A node and a ruin block me into one part of my starting island, requiring that I build a boat to go around.

Is the help text all up to date? Is it built on the v1.31 help file, or PLIGHT? It should really be based on PLIGHT, there is a ton more information there and it is much better laid out. The one that pops to mind is when you right click on a hero's experience level, it is wonderful.

I still got a one-space island with a tower on it. Also one and two space islands of nodes.

While dealing with spell trade offers from the CPs, the cursor is an hourglass instead of a finger, making it hard to know where to click.

Is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts? C doesn't take me to the city screen.

There was a Gnoll neutral city on my continent, and I was building Slingers to wipe it out and make room for one of my cities, and Raven lands troops and takes it over! The cheeky bastard! And this was an amphibious invasion, from his home continent with a Trireme. Looks like it's going to be early war...and he even has 5 sorcery books so we share books.

I cannot amphibious assault from a boat! I have to land first? This is new...you've always been able to attack from a boat in MoM. But when I went to a two-square island with a node and a ruin, I was able to attack from the boat.

After casting Corruption, the view moves from your capital to the corruption space, kind of disorienting.

I LOVE not having my move ended when I move onto a stack that's moved already. This change rocks.

In general, my home continent felt great. I cleared all the dungeons, grabbed the nodes, got a bunch of mana from them all (no items), and annexed the nodes with spirits. It felt all suitably low-level and achievable with a starting game hero stack. Usually nodes have to be put off for a while as they are too strong, which slows down your magic, but here everything appeared to go smoothly. However, I felt I got way too much mana and gold, and not nearly enough items and spells.

The target for the +1 to hit overlaps Bhagtru's "The Orc Warrior" title.

I was able to instantly summon a magic spirit despite the spellbook not saying "instant".

I think the version information in the save screen should have more information. Which RC, minor version, etc.

After finding a shield in a ruin I went to upgrade Bhagtru's equipment and encountered a bug that made me end DOSbox. I tried to put it in my vault, and it wouldn't go but instead changed to a sword. This sword could not be dropped or put on any of Bhagtru's slots. If I clicked on the Fortress slot I could get it to toggle between the shield and the sword but had no way to set it down anywhere, so I could never click OK and had to end program.

In fact, that's where I had to stop playing, because I couldn't go any further. I've attached the save file. Take the hero stack into the ruin with the fire elementals, and click auto. When you get the treasure, try to do something with it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

.zip   SAVE1.zip (Size: 10.77 KB / Downloads: 1)

Quote:Mountaineer still takes its entire movement allowance to travel on plains? I thought that was a bug.
I think that's a feature. A very bad one, though.

Quote:Magic spirit ran into Raven but I did not get a "greeting" screen. I had to move adjacent to his city before I got the screen. Met Tlaloc and didn't move next to his city, it appears he greets you on the next turn after you meet him. They used to greet you right away, as soon as you discovered one of their units and clicked end turn.
Couldn't reproduce, I got the greeting message immediately.

Quote: Seems like x1.0 magic has created some very achievable low-level places.
And Normal difficulty. Difficulty also multiplies monster pools.

Quote:Is the help text all up to date? Is it built on the v1.31 help file, or PLIGHT? It should really be based on PLIGHT, there is a ton more information there and it is much better laid out.
I'll let someone else do the help files, as it does not require coding knowledge. I did it for CoM but can't use that here because it's far too different.

Quote:I still got a one-space island with a tower on it. Also one and two space islands of nodes.
Tiny land size does not have enough connecting land to avoid this. It can still happen if no legal other place has been found in 1000 tries.

Quote:While dealing with spell trade offers from the CPs, the cursor is an hourglass instead of a finger, making it hard to know where to click.
Don't think I can fix that but I'll see.

Quote:Is there a list of all the keyboard shortcuts? C doesn't take me to the city screen.
I didn't change these, ask Kyrub.Think cities was T?

Quote:I cannot amphibious assault from a boat! I have to land first? This is new...you've always been able to attack from a boat in MoM. But when I went to a two-square island with a node and a ruin, I was able to attack from the boat.
Bug. Sometimes I couldn't leave ship either, but only if certain units were selected. If I selected others in the ship, I could. No idea what causes it but now that you mentioned it, maybe this is why the AI fails unloading stuff from ships every once in a while for no reason. If you find a case like this, send me the save and I'll try to investigate the movement procedures.

Quote: However, I felt I got way too much mana and gold, and not nearly enough items and spells.
We can change that if there is demand.

Quote:The target for the +1 to hit overlaps Bhagtru's "The Orc Warrior" title.
Yes, unfortunately there isn't too much space to squeeze it in, and "To Melee" and "To Range" are longer texts so I had to move it a little.

Quote:I was able to instantly summon a magic spirit despite the spellbook not saying "instant".
Old bug, I think it doesn't display instant if the skill you have is exactly the needed amount. So there is a > somewhere instead of a >=. Have to look for it.

Quote:In fact, that's where I had to stop playing, because I couldn't go any further. I've attached the save file. Take the hero stack into the ruin with the fire elementals, and click auto. When you get the treasure, try to do something with it.
Interesting never had that happen in CoM.
Looks like the 8 vault slot patch didn't get applied right for some reason.

Edit : Couldn't reproduce. Did you change the EXE with the tweaker or something? I got different items with your save and all went into the vault without problems. The "sword" is the contents of the unused 0th item ID (or any other unused item ID).
Items with an ID over 128 are invisible in the vault (display bug), if one of those are in the slot and you place the shield there, you would get the sword, BUT the shield should have been visible in the vault, unless, that, too used ID 128+. In either way, the slot needed to have an invalid item there, and to even get a slot over 127 to be used, the game needs to have 127+ items already. So...memory corruption sounds most likely.
I will fix the problem of items in slot 128+ not visible, though I doubt that will ever happen in any game, would need everyone to have 6 fully equipped heroes and a full vault (total items possible if every slot is used everywhere is 130).