Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

New year, New Master of Magic! v1.5 fan patch

RC 18 is up.

Most important change : new option added to settings "backup saves".
If enabled, each turn in addition to the normal autosave file (save9.gam) a copy of that file is generated named after that specific turn (save1001.game for turn 1, save1219.gam for turn 219 and so on) which can be used to roll back to any turn you want (and is very useful for debugging as well as not losing a game due to random memory corruption).
If a file already exists for the current turn and the turn is replayed, the file is overwritten, same happens if you play a new game.

(show node auras is removed to add this, node auras will be always shown)

Excellent! That was one of the features of kyrub's Master of Orion patch that I always liked. Go back to ANY turn in the game, at any time! I'm glad CoM has it and hope it can fit into MoM v1.5 as well. I'm due for some downtime next week so I'm going to pick up playing the RC again.

Can the end of turn summary do anything more useful? Right now it just shows population increases and buildings completed, I think. Everyone plays with it on, but nobody ever pays attention to it and clicks it away in annoyance whenever it appears. Is there any more use that could be made of this screen? Noticing when diplomatic status has changed, casting skill increased, that sort of thing. Stuff that silently happens that we would like to know about.

(May 26th, 2016, 00:19)Tiltowait Wrote: Noticing when diplomatic status has changed.
Enemy wizards will tell you about that. The only way a war can start without being declared is when a city is taken but that's pretty hard to miss.
I have no good ideas what to display there and it would be hard to do.

One other notification it occurs to me would be helpful. Some other 4X games that have a housing build option for cities will notify you when a city reaches its maximum size but is still set to build housing. How hard would it be to implement that in MoM?

(May 26th, 2016, 12:08)spottedshroom Wrote: One other notification it occurs to me would be helpful. Some other 4X that have a housing build option for cities will notify you when a city reaches its maximum size but is still set to build housing. How hard would it be to implement that in MoM?

Probably this is one of the easier stuff as no data needs to be stored. Checking towns at the time the messages are generated should be good enough. Making space in the data segment for the text constant "X has reached maximum population" is still necessary even then...unless we go the crude way and just use an existing text constant (I'm pretty sure the game does have the text "Maximum Population" or at least "Max Pop" somewhere)

Is this one in particular necessary though? Does anyone build housing in a large city? I sure don't.
Besides, for this, auto-switching the city to trade goods sounds like a better (and a lot easier) solution to me.

Auto-switching to trade goods would be fine, too. I agree it doesn't come up much, but occasionally I'll find a city with a low max pop that I accidentally set to housing and has been maxed out for who knows how long.

Well then get into the habit of checking your cities by the spreadsheet on the "Cities" screen often.

1.50 completed version is up. There will be no more updates to it, all important bugs I knew are now fixed.
Only 3 changes this time :
-housing auto changes to trade goods if city is maxed
-AI no longer fails to find a target for warp node
-fixes various engineer bugs that causes them to build slower than expected or reported

Have fun!

Edit : Since the patch is now complete, I'm going to fill information about them on the wiki : http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Insecticided and http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Unof...Patch_1.50

Since I did not play the patch myself, I would like to hear player's opinion about the AI, specifically, how well it works in the vanilla game environment. Is it worse than the original, better, significantly better etc?
As of now I added this text regarding that :
Quote:Note that the majority of AI changes have been optimized for the Caster of Magic mod, and some of them might be less than ideal for the different pacing of the original game, however, these changes are still a major improvement over the original, where the AI was completely incapable of doing most of the things the patch enables. Also note that a lot of detailed AI improvements made for Caster of Magic are not in this patch due to incompatibility, either differences in the game code itself, or the absence of the related feature(s), like new or improved spells.
but I have no idea if this is actually an accurate description.

Before trying your patch I waited for a final release, I speak very little English and so I preferred to wait for the easier moment.

So far I have not found any bugs, the only thing I wanted to alert you that you called the file WIZARDS.EXE with the name Wizards.exe.
This causes no problems under windows systems because they are case insensitive but under linux systems (case sensitive) would have both these executables in the same directory.
I don't know what could be causing to dosbox because I have renamed the executable immediately.

Where can I find a complete changelog ?

However, congratulations on the job, it is wonderful

(June 21st, 2016, 18:24)vinnie Wrote: Before trying your patch I waited for a final release, I speak very little English and so I preferred to wait for the easier moment.

So far I have not found any bugs, the only thing I wanted to alert you that you called the file WIZARDS.EXE with the name Wizards.exe.
This causes no problems under windows systems because they are case insensitive but under linux systems (case sensitive) would have both these executables in the same directory.
I don't know what could be causing to dosbox because I have renamed the executable immediately.

Where can I find a complete changelog ?

However, congratulations on the job, it is wonderful

here : http://masterofmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Unof...Patch_1.50
It's only done up to halfway (patch 250) since it's a lot of work.
For more information, each patch file has a description inside it, so just open the files in the "included" txt folder and you'll find detailed information on their effect.