I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(October 23rd, 2016, 15:21)LKendter Wrote:
(October 23rd, 2016, 15:06)Old Harry Wrote: So I played about an hour yesterday, then today when I try to launch CivVI it plays me the intro music but gives me a blank screen and eventually Windows says it's stopped working and do I want to end it. Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?

I wonder if you are having the same issues with me, and lack of memory.  This machine has never given me a low memory message until trying to play the game.  I know have to make sure to close stuff, especially browser tabs with flash games going.  It locked so bad in my test game yesterday that I had to reboot my PC.

It could be that, but it also looks like my video card doesn't meet the specs. I wonder why it worked yesterday though...

(October 23rd, 2016, 15:06)Old Harry Wrote: So I played about an hour yesterday, then today when I try to launch CivVI it plays me the intro music but gives me a blank screen and eventually Windows says it's stopped working and do I want to end it. Anyone know what the problem is likely to be?

I've gotten a couple of weird startup glitches similar to this. A computer restart has fixed it each time, but I have no idea what the cause is. My machine is on the low-ish end of the requirement spectrum FWIW.

If you installed via Steam, it's worth getting it to verify the game files.
You should also make sure your graphics drivers are at the latest version.
After that, try leaving task manager open on the page with performance graphs while you run the game. The graphs may give you an indication if a particular system resource is running out.
Last thing to try is to look for an error log - I've no idea where this would be stored, but it will probably contain enough info to diagnose the problem.

Oh, if it didn't happen on the first run but has on all subsequent runs, it's probably worth deleting any settings files it has created, in case it's having trouble loading those.

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions tomorrow.

Lumber mills can be put on forest, but not rain forest? They are both sources of lumber, that just doesn't make sense.
I've researched the tech to allow lumber mills.

They never allowed lumber mills on jungle, did they?

Okay, so if I promise to move my troops off someone's borders and they attack me, why is it breaking my promise if I move troops still in my territory to the border to defend myself?!

I like some of the combat animations, especially when a spearman gets a kill....also when a horseman attacks, riding right _though_ the target.

I get a lot more of the 'one more turn' feel than I ever did with ciV, Steam tells me I ended up playing 10 hours after owning the game 6 month. I have 13 hours now, and this is with wife and two kids in daytime, I can only play at (k)night. It's 2.30 am.

I really really think some of the city state quests are ridiculous and need to be ganked ASAP. "Train a unit". "Gain an inspiration/eureka". These are quite often A) Things I usually want to do anyway, B) Quite easy (at least units) and C) No use to a city state in the first place. Why would Seoul, on the far side of the world, care that I build a spearman? "Gain a great person" are A) and C) too.

Okay ones are "Religious spread" or "Send a trade route plz yolo". Perhaps easy, but at least something the city state wants, and not always something the players wants to do anyway. Better ones would be stuff that manipulates intra-player relations, "stop trading with X", "join our war with Y and force him to make peace"

Over two games now I have killed 3 capitals, and every one had a settler hiding inside. The AI doesn't know how to build cities! Settlers walk about and fail to build. To me it looks like they just need a "goto nearest dark green location & build" - script, and perhaps "IF closest dark green location > 10 tiles from nearest city THEN goto nearest light green location & build". I mean, there are no CiV penalties for founding - moar cities are good & great. I expected the combat AI to be easy to defeat, but all these one-city empires is strange. I guess higher difficulty fixes this by giving AIs two settlers...

One other thing, I don't understand why you can change out any & all legacy cards when you gain a new legacy. It is great for the player, sure, but the cards roll in all the time so I am basically a spiritual civ. Gain a orange card, and you can not only swap to _that_ particular card, or any orange card, but basically redesign your whole deck. And one really should do it, get the +builder one(s) and build those for 10 turns...then next policy and switch to units...then some wonders...then a herd of settlers...all the while changing cards accordingly. So yeah. Micromanagers ahoy.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

(October 23rd, 2016, 14:59)pindicator Wrote:
(October 23rd, 2016, 11:50)LKendter Wrote: Tribal villages need to be easier to spot.  I keep getting messages I've found them, and it is a royal pain to figure out exactly where.  Goodie huts from early versions where far easier to find.

Definitely agree that they're hard to spot.  One thing that helps: if you click on the notification it will center the screen on the tribal village.
Which reminds me of something else - do the notifications glitch for anyone else? Particularly when I have multiple notifications of the same type (e.g. X and all their city states declares war on Y and all their city states), the text for all notifications has an annoying habit of disappearing after acknowledging the first notification. Can't get it to reappear despite a lot of clicking about and multiple mouseovers.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(October 23rd, 2016, 19:19)fluffyflyingpig Wrote: Okay, so if I promise to move my troops off someone's borders and they attack me, why is it breaking my promise if I move troops still in my territory to the border to defend myself?!

I had an even weirder one - Egypt asked me to move my troops away from their border, which I did. A dozen or so turns later Egypt declared war on me. After I made short work of their all-warrior invasion force and pummelled their capital a bit, they sued for peace which I accepted. A few turns later I got a notification that "we have kept our promise to stay away from the border". Seems like the check is entirely time based without taking into account relevant events in the interim, such as the ransacking of a capital.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21