Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

Game manual for those interested: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/...AL_ENG.pdf

(I know that as a kid, I loved reading game manuals to figure stuff out before playing. I read the SMAC manual so many times it fell apart.)
Civ 6 SP: Adventure One 
Civ 4 MP: PBEM74B [3/4] PBEM74D [3/4]
-Dedlurker: PB34

(October 20th, 2016, 14:01)picklepikkl Wrote: Game manual for those interested: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/...AL_ENG.pdf

(I know that as a kid, I loved reading game manuals to figure stuff out before playing. I read the SMAC manual so many times it fell apart.)

dancing Thank you very much !

Well it looks like they just didn't care about MP. How boring... This is the last AAA 4x series so you get this and "mainstreaming".

Played an hour+ last night and bit before work this morning.

Plenty of barbs even on prince. If you don't have troops near your cities, it might be a problem. As I didn't read much about the game mechanics, I am stumbling around, but what I noted was that if you research iron and don't have the resource, you can't even build warriors any longer? Did I see that correctly? Swordsmen are not available but warriors should.

Besides that, I find the map really hard to read with a weird brown FOW and units blending too much with the environment. I really liked Civ 3 for its clear and easy to read map and units.

I've been messing around a bit this afternoon. Played a game, randomed Tomyris of Scythia. The heal half HP on kill is very strong. However, my plans for early conquest have been foiled by the Kongo who now have built their unique unit in large numbers, and horsemen and saka horse archers suck against the shield-bearers. It can really be challenging to get a new city off the ground, I do suggest investing in improving your core so the trade routes from new cities to your core produce large amounts of cogs and food. I had to use Holy Site Prayers to get a prophet in time, the AI seems at least semi-competitive in the early game on King (I'm sure they'll screw up and fall behind eventually, but right now they're doing fine, keeping pace with me in most respects). The one oddity was when India and the Kongo both declared a joint war on me early on, never really tried an actual attack and gave me a peace offer with some gold attached.

Picked up the map sizes from CFC. Seems that Huge is the new Large. ("Huge" is now the size of "Large" from Civ5, and the new large is between that and standard.) Interesting strategy for limiting performance problems.

Effectively, they cut Huge from the franchise, officially now. Might be the right choice for the game that is coming out. We'll have to see.
Fortune favors the bold.

From my experience so far barbarians seem to have been tweaked up waaay too far for open-plan maps. Spearmen, Horsemen, and Horse Archers all make appearances within 20 turns on Prince, when the player is working on their second tech. Multiple scouts roam nearby simultaneously, each taking 3 battles to kill. If a single one escapes you're sentenced to running on a treadmill with endless barbarian swarms. Not fun.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21

(October 20th, 2016, 11:43)rho21 Wrote: I know Lua. I never want to work with Lua again. smile

surely it can't be worse than Python?

Well my first impressions weren't quite what I was hoping for.

The game wouldn't even start! It kept hanging while looking for a vcredist or something. The dangers of pre-ordering, I suppose.

Luckily I was able to sort it out, though not before 45 minutes of googling and improvised tech support. It sounds like most people had no issues though.

(October 20th, 2016, 23:50)greenline Wrote:
(October 20th, 2016, 11:43)rho21 Wrote: I know Lua. I never want to work with Lua again. smile
surely it can't be worse than Python?

Did you just imply that python is bad.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!