Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

(October 20th, 2016, 23:55)Dp101 Wrote: Did you just imply that python is bad.

Imply? I'll outright state it: Python is garbage. It's baby's first programming language that has steel locks to hold you in your baby chair even after you've grown and are wanting to stretch your legs. Using INDENTS as syntax and then horribly breaking all the syntax by replacing indents with spaces and spaces alone in a version change is a crime against humanity.

@greenline - That seems to be an issue with your tooling if you are having those problems.

Please take off-topic convo out of this thread guys. :D
In Soviet Russia, Civilization Micros You!

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
“I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.”

(October 20th, 2016, 23:57)greenline Wrote:
(October 20th, 2016, 23:55)Dp101 Wrote: Did you just imply that python is bad.

Imply? I'll outright state it: Python is garbage. It's baby's first programming language that has steel locks to hold you in your baby chair even after you've grown and are wanting to stretch your legs. Using INDENTS as syntax and then horribly breaking all the syntax by replacing indents with spaces and spaces alone in a version change is a crime against humanity.

Python is great for what it is used for, making small quick programs and teaching programming. If you want to stretch your legs, use a different programming language. Also was not aware of the tabs -> spaces change, I've been on python 2 forever.

To make this at least somewhat on topic, I would like to say that I enjoy the game so far, but the pacing of different elements feels wildly out of sync.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!

(October 20th, 2016, 23:51)Pliskin Wrote: Well my first impressions weren't quite what I was hoping for.

The game wouldn't even start! It kept hanging while looking for a vcredist or something. The dangers of pre-ordering, I suppose.

Luckily I was able to sort it out, though not before 45 minutes of googling and improvised tech support. It sounds like most people had no issues though.

How did you manage to solve this dll issue? I have the same and cannot start....

First impressions:

Wow they make it hard to see the costs of things. I still haven't figured out if there's any way to see the amount of food required for growth. C'mon guys that's the most important number in the game! wink

I like how when you change your tiles around it doesn't show the change in production time on your city on the map (but it does update it in the city display on the bottom bar). And if you switch onto / off a tile that has Culture or Science then it doesn't update the time your tech / civic takes to complete until after you've gone into the tech or civic tree and selected to another tech / civic.

EDIT: A little more seriously, I'm having fun with the game, at least for the first 50 turns.
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

Music nice.
I like that it is possible to build a unit EVEN IF :shocking!: there is a garrison unit there.
Also interesting that you get research when you pillage science districts and faith when plundering holy shit.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

Running smoothly so far, which is a relief as I am playing on a none-too-powerful laptop at the moment. Initial thoughts after about 5 hours:

- Not enough information!!! Some of it is just unfamiliarity with the new game, but a lot of stuff just does not seem to be there to see. Certainly not easily. SevenSpirits already mentioned the food to grow number (is it anywhere?). Also military unit support costs, or expenses in general. There is one figure for total costs per turn with no breakdown of what is actually producing that number. frown When healing a unit, no indication of how long it will take. Lots of things like that.
- Concept explanations are sometimes hard to find. The Civilopedia is good in some areas, but I struggled to find any explanation of ranged combat. Also, I have already run across several instances of poor editing, incorrect grammar, etc. which is disappointing for a major title like Civ.
- Agree with pindicator about the non-updating figures when you make changes. Very annoying, and misleading about whether I actually changed what I thought I had.
- I never played a game of Civ V (although I have read quite a lot of reports and have some general knowledge), so many of the systems are very new to me. I feel completely clueless about balance so far, what is actually important and what is just filler. Builders and tile improvements are apparently of very minimal importance. Granaries likewise. City costs...looks like spamming cities is strong? Still feeling my way.
- Barbs are rough, even on prince. I had three camps within a dozen tiles of my capital, with scouts marking me and then streams of units following, before turn 25. Heavy fighting for so early.
- Lack of summary and at-a-glance screens for diplomacy. Any quick way to compare my relations with other leaders, without having to open each one's screen one at a time and scroll through?
- I am adjusting to the visual style; my eye is not picking out information easily yet but I think much of that is lack of familiarity. I do wish the tiles were a bit more clearly differentiated (hills vs flatland, etc.). The color scheme also seems a bit muddy, but maybe that is my region? (Peter in a heavy tundra and plains zone.)
- Several times I have run into problems with the game not allowing something (a particular move, a diplomatic action, etc.) without explanation. I eventually figured out (or think I did, anyway) why something that looked like it should work did not, but the game did not explain at all -- it just did not let me take the action. More helpful info would be useful in these places.

I am liking the districts and city-on-the-map mechanism so far. Interesting change and it does open up some additional decisions and trade offs. Will have to see how that does with more play. I will note that the AI apparently loves to pillage your districts -- Philip declared a surprise war on me and bee-lined to pillage both the districts I had built. Given the cost of rebuilding them, good ttactic -- but something that may be exploitable.

Does anyone know if the AI pays any diplomatic penalty for surprise war? The Civilopedia makes a big deal of the importance of generating a casus belli to minimize warmongering penalties, but Philip just happily attacked me out of the blue. I wonder if those penalties only apply to the human player.

Overall, caustiously optimistic. Hopefully Firaxis has gotten this one a lot better balanced than V (especiallt launch V) or Beyond Earth. A good new Civ game would be wonderful, although it might also consume way too many hours of my limited free time. lol

(October 21st, 2016, 06:56)Molach Wrote: Music nice.
I like that it is possible to build a unit EVEN IF :shocking!: there is a garrison unit there.

But apparently you can not rush-buy a unit if there is a garrison unit in the city. I got bitten by that one. frown

(October 20th, 2016, 22:38)Sirian Wrote: Picked up the map sizes from CFC. Seems that Huge is the new Large. ("Huge" is now the size of "Large" from Civ5, and the new large is between that and standard.) Interesting strategy for limiting performance problems.

Effectively, they cut Huge from the franchise, officially now. Might be the right choice for the game that is coming out. We'll have to see.

I don't understand the logic of this comment. It is well known that one of the major problems in the last game was that the coarseness of the map garanularity was incompatible with the fundemental game mechanic, 1UPT (the designers were happy to screw the balance of all other game mechanics to accomodate it), yet you look to be happy that the granularity has been further coarsened.
Travelling on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.