Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

I have to say that the UI is horrible for me. Maybe I am too old, but what sort of gamers do enjoy this?

- Units with their 'beacons' on top are so big, they block the terrain. It's hard to make out anything below. It took me a long time to figure out where is the information about experience and promotion. Such a tiny bar, but the health bar is overly big and not to be missed. When you fortify to heal, you got no idea as to how long that could actually take.

The city screen is a disaster. As pointed out, important information is missing or maybe hidden somewhere. What on earth were they thinking?

Maybe it's all the for casual crowd that doesn't want to bother about this stuff. Congrats, it works

The positive: Building cities properly and managing the various aspects of your empire in accordance with trade routes, policy cards, district/terrain interaction, and proper currency allocation does seem to make a noticeable difference. I also had one AI eliminate another early on in the game I'm currently playing (not just a message in the fog, I saw their captured capital and lost a trade partner), so despite what the AI livestream suggested they do seem to sometimes go to war and conquer each other.

The negative: The UI needs work in various aspects. I used to play Dwarf Fortress so I'm personally not too bothered by this, but yeah, there are issues. There's a bit of an exploit in gold returns for disbanding units, it gives 2gold per cog. That's a lot, but the real problem is when you combine it with policies that increase unit production by 100%, giving you 4 gold per "effective" cog. And then throw in Scythia or the Venetian Arsenal (two units for the price of one in certain conditions) into the mix and it actually gets broken. Note that you can purchase units and buildings at a 4gold/cog ratio (but not districts or wonders).

Here and there: The diplomacy system makes sense for the most part, but I don't think the positive and negative modifiers seem to add up in a sensible way. Having a "positive" relationship score with another AI still seems to leave them unfriendly most of the time. The AI is quite eager to backstab and opportunistically declare war when they're in the ancient or classical age, but it feels like this tendency drops off over time. Also I'm pretty sure I got one agenda-related message that didn't really add up to me at the time (this only happened once so maybe it was a fluke, every other agenda-related message I received seemed accurate enough, and I received a lot of them). They also still seem to issue "joint wars" where they don't actually attack, and eventually give you concessions in exchange for peace.

I agree with Magil that the governments with slots/policy card thing seems like a positive. I have not played far enough yet to see how the legacy factor works yet, but it could also add some interesting choices.

Diplomacy does seem pretty opaque so far. I get that I need to increase my access to get more information, but just adding the "unknown factors" displayed does give you a total figure even if you do not know why. But positive totals still seem to be "unfriendly" relations. confused The AI does seem to like suprise attacks, and has been ridiculously generous in peace settlements. I smashed a surprise force from Philip, went to ask for peace just to see if the price would be acceptable (I was not willing to pay much, but would have offered a little just to end it as I had other worries). Instead, he offered me several hundred gold, a chunk of gold per turn, and a couple resources! I was like, OK, sure buddy, I'll take it! lol

Some impression, have played 70 turns or so.

a. Where is the save game folder? I want to put my potluck game in there.
b. I really absolutely really truly honestly "not-just-because-I-like-civ-4-way-better" hate the fog of war graphic. The "ancient map" thing for things you haven't seen is okay, I guess, but that the fog of war gets CLOSE TO SAME COLOR AND LOOK? I might get used to it. I don't need to get used to stuff like that, I'm old and haven't that long to live. Hope a MOD can make it a simple "shaded black" efferct instead.
c. Government and legacy - seems like a great addition. Two things, it did appear that running "god king" and gain 25 faith that way is a one right choice if you want one early on. Also, it did appear as if the civic that unlocks the 3 4-card governments is an obvious "one right choice" to shoot for, but then again it did seem to require most of the earlier civics to unlock, so no real way to rush it. Haven't gotten much further, but the mix 'n' match appealed to me right away - I went military, mostly, but then you can slot in a +settler legacy if you want to expand while warring, or a +wonder production one if you want a key one, or just more + army/less upkeep. Good stuff.
d. City states. Me do not like. They apparently gave out quests like "trade route" and "get a great scientist" and "build two galleys" - which are all things I'd do anyway. Also, it looked like the first major civ to meet a city states gets an envoy. If I understood this right, this is an extremely luck-reliant feature. +2 prod in capital when building units - most likely double output early game - that is a big swing early on. I didn't get any other envoys first 70 turns, so the 4 free ones made a major contribution. If I randomly had not gotten them I'd be in a completely different place.
e. AI declared war, moved near my city, pillaged, moved around my city, but did not attack. All the while receiving fire from first one, then 2 archers. Ow. I'm gonna take over his capital next, settle all land between us, and I sort of 'know' that will be enough to win.
f. Barbs didn't seem too bad...but I had civs and city states kind of close around me, so never faced much attacks.
g. Eureka and inspirations seems okay...things to do, avoid passiveness. But I have a slight suspicion that there might be a pretty strickt "research that, build that, then you get eureka to research that, and then you can..." - optimal path to do things. More 'research' needed.
h. There is no point h yet. Because I didn't bother with AIs and diplo and stuff this playthrough.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

Save game folder is where it's always been smile %userprofile%\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Saves\Single

(October 21st, 2016, 16:47)Molach Wrote: Some impression, have played 70 turns or so.

a. Where is the save game folder? I want to put my potluck game in there.

I had this problem too. It's under C:\Users\<Your Username Here>\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Saves

I expected it to be with the rest of the files in the Steam folder but no.

(October 21st, 2016, 16:47)Molach Wrote: it did appear that running "god king" and gain 25 faith that way is a one right choice if you want one early on.

I tend to agree but it's possible you'll get a relic from a goody hut or get an envoy with a religious city-state which means you don't really need to. In which case, urban planning earlier!

Thanks for quick replies. I found the "demo" game save (tutorial) and a "benchmark" save along with the steam files, so I went crazy looking for the normal ones.

I do have one more thing.
Civilization unique abilities. I think one stands out...
England. Tourism. Is that even useful for anything except cultural victory? Enlarging borders? Anyway, that is a ability that is useless for 75% of the victories in the game. It means that any civ is basically better than England if you want to do something besides cultural victory. And if, at some point, people realize that another civ will outperform England culturally - well the word "brexit" leaps to mind.

All the others seem okay, can be used different ways.
Played: FFH PBEM XXVI (Rhoanna) FFH PBEM XXV (Shekinah) FFH PBEM XXX (Flauros) Pitboss 11 (Kublai Rome)
Playing:Pitboss 18 (Ghengis Portugal) PBEM 60 - AI start (Napoleon Inca)

The annoying part of the save games folder for me is that I wanted to create a sub folder just for this adventure. Created the folder but civ apparently isn't able to see it in game
Suffer Game Sicko
Dodo Tier Player

The funny thing is that these trends are not surprising if you played Civ5 smile

(October 21st, 2016, 17:19)Molach Wrote: Civilization unique abilities. I think one stands out...
England. Tourism. Is that even useful for anything except cultural victory? Enlarging borders? Anyway, that is a ability that is useless for 75% of the victories in the game. It means that any civ is basically better than England if you want to do something besides cultural victory. And if, at some point, people realize that another civ will outperform England culturally - well the word "brexit" leaps to mind.

Civ5 had the likes of Brazil (unique ability - +50% tourism during golden age) and France (double theming bonuses, also only relevant for tourism). To be fair, even in Civ4 there are leaders with traits heavily pushing towards certain victory conditions (with Tokugawa the stand-out example). So yes, England is designed to go for culture victory. I don't think having a civ where you will know which victory you will go for from the start of the game is too bad. It will not be high pick in multiplayer, but I think that will be the case for all inflexible civs (Kongo, who can't found their own religion, have a somewhat similar issue, with 1 of 4 victory conditions completely unavailable to them)

(October 21st, 2016, 17:21)pindicator Wrote: The annoying part of the save games folder for me is that I wanted to create a sub folder just for this adventure. Created the folder but civ apparently isn't able to see it in game

Also same as in Civ5. This one I can't explain. Civ4 allowed to put saves in custom folders, only god-king knows why they removed it