I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Civ 6 Release and Update Discussion Thread

I think England's not-museum related bonuses are good enough to carry it for other victories, at least on water-heavy maps. A unique harbor is a good thing if you can actually build them and they're the only Civ that can capture military units (and keep them as military units) afaik.

(October 21st, 2016, 17:21)pindicator Wrote: The annoying part of the save games folder for me is that I wanted to create a sub folder just for this adventure. Created the folder but civ apparently isn't able to see it in game

Fairly obnoxious that it can't at least see subfolders of its standard save location, really. I think you should be able to work around it with a fair bit of hassle using junctions and batch scripts. Let me know if you want information on how this would work.

So I fired up my first game tonight. Suddenly, 4 hours went by and it's 2am. I guess that's a good sign?

The weirdest thing is just how agonizingly slow production is especially versus tech pace. There's never time to build stuff.

(October 22nd, 2016, 00:52)scooter Wrote: So I fired up my first game tonight. Suddenly, 4 hours went by and it's 2am. I guess that's a good sign?

The weirdest thing is just how agonizingly slow production is especially versus tech pace. There's never time to build stuff.

Similar experience here -- definitely has that One More Turn feel to it.

Production is mystifying to me. I know I am probably doing everything hugely sub-optimally, especially since I have no Civ V experience and am still thinking in Civ IV terms. But where is the production supposed to come from? My neighbor Philip has found time to build two wonders, four settlers, a sizable army, and who knows what else within his cities. I have managed zero wonders, two settlers, a tiny army, a couple districts (mistakes?), a couple builders (mistakes?), a trader, and a few buildings (mistakes?). I have a long list of things I could build, but everything takes lots of turns even in my capital. Wonders are easily dozens of turns or more.

I remember someone (Lord Parkin?) summarizing Civ V as being an empire game about not building anything. Maybe I should not be wasting my limited produciton on the stuff like builders and buildings and districts? I could spam out a ton of military (cheap stuff but a lot of it) instead and just go out warring. But where is the fun in not even trying the new systems?

I am probably missing something obvious. Not enough sleep the past while, for some inexplicable reason. lol

Others mentioned how diplomacy is still obscure, and here's a glaring example

In this game, Kongo's hidden agenda is that they like civs with a strong military. And I'm Monty, of course I have strong military. That's where the +6 modifier comes from, which is the only modifier we have (apparently). Why in the world is he unfriendly?

From what I've heard, there is a time/turns based bias baked in to diplomacy. Ancient times, warlike, hostile behavior prevails, late game, "civilized" behavior prevails even when there are animosities. How decisive this lean is, and what other factors apply, I don't know.

The notion of baking in this slant is an intriguing one. Whether the implementation is good, we'll have to see in time.
Fortune favors the bold.

Re theme song ... Christopher Tin emailed me with link to the opening theme and opening movie music.  I played it from the office on loud and wife (next room) says ... "what is that ... it is beautiful ... sounds like Baba Yetu".  She has never played Civ4 but likes the music enough to go with me to see Christopher Tin live in NYC.
I have finally decided to put down some cash and register a website. It is www.ruffhi.com. Now I remain free to move the hosting options without having to change the name of the site.

(October 22nd, 2014, 10:52)Caledorn Wrote: And ruff is officially banned from playing in my games as a reward for ruining my big surprise by posting silly and correct theories in the PB18 tech thread.

(October 22nd, 2016, 07:38)Ruff_Hi Wrote: Re theme song ... Christopher Tin emailed me with link so the opening theme and opening movie.  I played it from the office on loud and wife (next room) says ... "what is that ... it is beautiful ... sounds like Baba Yetu".  She has never played Civ4 but likes the music enough to go with me to see Christopher Tin live in NYC.

This is awesome! I'm starting to love the theme as well, although still think it's not quite Baba Yetu level good smile

I wish Civ wasn't littered with these small shortcomings, but this one made me laugh at the wording: "promise to move the troops on the border"

Can we talk for a moment about how good the opening is? Specifically the animation, things like the feathers fluttering on the winged hussar's back look amazing, and the planes are quite accurate to real life. Even the cockpit was correct.
Surprise! Turns out I'm a girl!