For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

PBEM 7 - Team Contest (4 x 2) - discussion

Players, your input as well, please.

It seems we have tend to have one experienced player pairs with the not so experienced players. This means
Japper and Mike (let them have their wish). Three more teams to be made up of each one player from pot A +B

Pot A: Archduke, Woden, Singaboy
Pot B: Chevalier Mal Fet, Emperor K, BrickAstley

At the same time, we would like to get the turn order of the teams. I would suggest we play ABCDDCBA

As for civs to choose from, we had a conversation. The summary seems to be that each team gets 2 civs from Pot C and two civs from Pot D to select from

Pot C (7 dlc civs + Aztecs): Nubia, Indonesia, Australia, Khmer, Macedonia, Poland, Persia, Aztecs
Pot D: all others vanilla civs except Scythia and Sumer (is that correct?)

Are my assumptions correct?

I am fine with any team setup. Also i vote for the snake pick method brick mentioned however i will go with what ever settings everyone else thinks would make the game most interesting.
I have a couple of idea's if we go with this method as several more civs have the potential to be great together.

I can make the map. Settings so far:

• 1 shared continent per team, 4 continents total
• Room to expand on the starting continents (not cramped starts)

Questions:
Looking for lots of space between starting continents (oceans/islands between)? Or close continents (narrow water channels between)?
Any other guidelines?

Sounds good so far, probably roll for teams as well. Next time I hope for a team with Singaboy or Woden.

I didn't realize that every team would have its own continent. So this map will ALSO feature some naval warfare? Oh my...
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

If you guys want to team up I have no problem with that.
Just be aware the rest of us might come gunning for you!

If we want to use the ABCDDCBA play structure, maybe we should figure out play windows and turn order first, then use that to figure out the most efficient teams? What is everybody's play window?

As for civ selection, I am fine either way: a draft or randomized pool of 4 vanilla and 2 DLCs for each team.

As for continent spacing, I think having them close with connected coastal tiles would be better because ocean travel might be to far down the tree but if everybody wants time to develop their core, we could have a small ocean between each. I will defer to what the majority thinks.

Edit: my ideal play window is 1:00 - 5:00 GMT (7:00 p.m. - 11 p.m. CST). I do have a little flexibility on both ends of the window.

morning 11:00 am - 1:00 pm GMT (7:00ish am - 9:00 am EST) evening 11:00pm - 1:00am GMT (6:00 pm - 12:00 pm)

I am not in the mood for big Oceans as well. It should be landmasses connected by either Isthmuses or narrow shallow water straits. Just that there should be some land for teams to spread out.

I am fine to roll teams randomly or whatever. No preference here. As for drafting civs, maybe go for ABCDDCBA.

My play windows are : 21:00 - 22:00 GMT (before work) and 11:00 - 14:00 GMT (evenings)

Only an evening turnslot for me sadly (though I might occasionally get to the turn before or after, I can't guarantee it) :

19:00 GMT-1:00 GMT

BTW also prefer landmasses with shallow-water or landbridge connections.