I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Woden's and Chevalier Mal Fet's [Insert Clever Name Here] Team Thread

Yep, I wanted to crank out a pair of galleys once Salamis has a little infrastructure in place (the purchased builder will help get that city up and running quickly, I hope). I need to doublecheck how many city-states there are on the map - 3 per team gives 12 already, are there more to be found out in the no-man's land? Sailing, Irrigation, then Writing -> Currency. Probably need to take stock after that - Bronze Working and Celestial Navigation will both be important to me around that time.

I also made a quick ranking of pantheons, figuring that between Rome, Russia, and China (and possibly Khmer?) I should be able to land one of my top three choices.

1)City Patron Goddess seems to help me no matter what. It'll help the coastal cities get their dockyards up a bit faster, for certain. No matter what strategy I pursue, this is a nice flexible belief that will help me on my way. Accordingly, this is my #1 pick.

2)Oral Tradition would benefit from the huge amounts of plantations I can throw down around the area. Neither one of our civs has a strong cultural focus, unlike every other team (Trajan's Column, Lavras, Nkisi), this would mitigate that somewhat and keep us competitive in the cultural game. Neither one of us really likes to build theater squares, so finding extra sources of culture is great.

3)God of the Open Sky. Same reasoning as above, but we don't seem to have as many pasture resources.

The others seem mediocre to me. There are some wetlands around Salamis that might benefit from OLORAM, but most seem oriented at strategies I won't be pursuing - faith generation, extra great scientist points, etc.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

CMF,
I left a sign in game where I think you should move your warrior. If you move there I think it will trap the scout. Feel free to ignore if you see a better option.

Turn 18

Score report:

Player Score ScoreCivicEmpireGreat PeopleReligionTechWonders
Japper14290040
Emperor K202140040
BRickAstley16480040
Woden13270040
Chevalier13270040
Singaboy14290040
The Archduke11270020
Mike16480040

RankingsTech|ScienceCultureDominationReligiousGPT
Japper2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture36?Icon_Faith ?|?Icon_Gold
Emperor K2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture51?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
BRickAstley2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture46?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
Woden2|3.6Icon_Science1.7Icon_Culture5818.7Icon_Faith84|6.2Icon_Gold
Chevalier2|4.1Icon_Science2.9Icon_Culture375.1Icon_Faith 105|6.2Icon_Gold
Singaboy2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture26?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
The Archduke1|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture28?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
Mike2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture34?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold

Great People GenAdmEngMerProSciWriArtMus
Japper 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Emperor K 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|10.00|0.00|5.00|5.00|5.0
BRickAstley 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Woden 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Chevalier 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Singaboy 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
The Archduke 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Mike 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|1.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0

Khmer finishes up their Holy Site, bringing their FPT up to ~3 - enough to beat bump me to 4th pick for a pantheon, after Woden, Russia, and Khmer. Singaboy loses strength to barbarians, but SulllaBRick finishes another unit. I wonder how long before Archduke's settler founds his second city? Probably sooner than mine, I have some rough terrain to walk through. The high-food players have capitals 2 sizes larger than mine now, as well, which will start to be reflected in the tech score soon, I expect. I want to grow to at least size 4 before building another settler. Woden, though, beats Archduke to tech #2! 

Okay, turn report: 

[Image: EbGB09L.png]

I didn't think the scout could climb the hill and descend into the plain, but in retrospect that does take only 3 movement points, not sure why it was otherwise. He can't go north, so he'll probably either head west into the small peninsula ("Attica") or back south where the slinger can catch him. Woden leaves me a pointer, which I dutifully follow since I can't see the scout myself, and I don't want him slipping by me. 

In the west, I'm blocked from exploring much by the barb:

[Image: 3chhCO8.png]

It looks like the land narrows to a 1-tile wide isthmus south of Malta. I have to say, I'm not really thrilled with the terrain in ths part of the map. To the east, Woden's finding a sprawling grassland dotted with lakes, much more fertile ground. Out here, it's mostly dry desert. 

Nothing further to report. I still wanna do a write-up of my medium-term goals and how they fit into our long-term strategy, but I'm too sleepy atm. At least this time I didn't make any boneheaded mistakes like forgetting research though, right? 

...right?

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Nubia-Turn 18

Start the turn with...

Start Archery, due in 14 (7 with the eureka, maybe 6 with growth next turn). Warrior moves southeast and finds...

Two freshwater lakes. Probbaly move along the nothern shore of the northern lake. 

Look what popped up at Amon...

Already has an exclamation mark. Must be a camp south on Amon. Luckily my slinger just left last turn and can move back to Amon and take a swing at the barb. He will most likely run away but should be in striking distance next turn with all the rough terrain. Don't know if I can kill him next turn but will probably be red-lined. Then I will have to try and catch him. 

I think we have the scout trapped by Salamis. I am going to try and move my Slinger around the lake and take him out. We will have to see what he does next turn. It would be nice to get Archery finished sooner than later. With this rough terrain, 3-movement archers will help defog our continent quickly.

Edit: Took a look at my screenshots and you can see the barb camp on the coast by the whales.

With the score showing both Rome/China and Germany/Russia having barb troubles, we'll have to be cautious. We have 3 barb scouts on the loose, which would be nasty if all 3 camps started spewing out horsemen. Only the one near your capital can trigger a barb wave, and the one trapped near Salamis should die sometime in the next 5 turns, but it's worth keeping an eye on. After I finish a trader in Trafalgar, I might work on a trio of slingers while waiting for the city to grow back to size 4 (which will let me grab Early Empire and then use Colonization on my next settler, while the slingers and warrior can take Kabul).

Hopefully they won't be much of an issue once I reach Archery, but ya, we should be cautious. I am going to have my warrior go one more turn east, then hook back up the coast towards the barb camp. Then the slinger at Amon will either chase the scout or head to the camp. Both the warrior and slinger should get there in 6 turns. We will want to get rid of that camp first since it is 2 tiles from horses. I will move the slinger down by Salamis up towards your capital to provide security and wait for Archery to finish once he kills the scout and have the slinger in production stick around Amon. That should cover us for a little while. At least we should have a good shot at getting the Bronze Working euerka.

(December 19th, 2017, 00:08)Woden Wrote: Two freshwater lakes. Probbaly move along the nothern shore of the northern lake. 

Move two SE instead. I have a theory. 

The fact that this area of your continent seem to be sprawling outward into an arm makes me think you might be connected via land to other continents. You might be in the northwest corner of the map, and all four continents are conjoined in the center.

(December 19th, 2017, 11:55)oledavy Wrote:
(December 19th, 2017, 00:08)Woden Wrote: Two freshwater lakes. Probbaly move along the nothern shore of the northern lake. 

Move two SE instead. I have a theory. 

The fact that this area of your continent seem to be sprawling outward into an arm makes me think you might be connected via land to other continents. You might be in the northwest corner of the map, and all four continents are conjoined in the center.

I am starting to get that feeling too. With the landmass that we know, if we were on separate landmasses I should find the southeast corner down here, not a bunch of freshwater. Maybe it is just beyond the lakes, IDK. If we are connected, I might want to think about getting a city on tile between the lakes to claim this area. I should be able to build a defense force quickly with +100% production on archers in 10 turns. Maybe even my second or third city.

Nubia-Turn 19

Barb scout moves away from Amon but still in range for an attack...

Red-lined but will be able to run away next turn. Half thought about moving my Builder to the sheep as bait but did not want to risk having to chase him down through all this rough terrain. I decide to send CMF...

Didn't want to forget in the coming turns, so I figured I would send it now. He should have enough to buy a Builder when he settles his 2nd city. Barb scout down that way moved to the peninsula and should be trapped. I moved my slinger towards him. 

Now for the big, big news of the turn! I moved my warrior along the north side of the lake (sorry oledvay but I wanted to bring him back to help with the camp and this move seemed better as I can now move along the coast) and find...

A Russian scout! Looks like we are on connected continents after all. We didn't officially meet yet but we know they are connected by land now. I wonder if these landmasses are connected by three single tile connections with lakes in between. Might be nice to get a few canal cities to be able to move around. I pinned 2 spots and we will have to scout if there is a third in the west but something to think about. 

Now something that pisses me off a little. I have 26.2 faith but no pantheon. Why? I was hoping to lock it in this turn but no. I seem to remember someone else complaining about this in another game but don't remember where. Next turn!

Turn 19

Woden already broke the big news of the turn - contact to the east! Looking at the area, it looks like most passage is over a few narrow isthmuses (isthmi?), which means my plan of defending our territory with naval power still holds (for the moment). 

I'm eager to get a look at Emperor's specific stats, but for some reason the game insists that I have yet to meet him. I wonder if that will fire next turn, or if I'll have to wait until an English unit lays eyes on a Russian? Probably the former, but you never know with this crazy game. I ALSO didn't get Woden's diplomatic offer? I got the notification of meeting Russia, but that was all. Again, might have to check next turn. 

So, one last turn of a vague score report, then I can get hard numbers on science, faith, etc. 

Player Score ScoreCivicEmpireGreat PeopleReligionTechWonders
Japper15290040
Emperor K202140040
BRickAstley16480040
Woden13280040
Chevalier13270040
Singaboy16480040
The Archduke11270020
Mike16480040

RankingsTech|ScienceCultureDominationReligiousGPT
Japper2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture37?Icon_Faith ?|?Icon_Gold
Emperor K2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture27?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
BRickAstley2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture43?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
Woden2|3.6Icon_Science1.7Icon_Culture58268.7Icon_Faith84|6.2Icon_Gold
Chevalier2|4.1Icon_Science2.9Icon_Culture377.1Icon_Faith 111|6.2Icon_Gold
Singaboy2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture29?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
The Archduke1|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture22?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold
Mike2|?Icon_Science?Icon_Culture35?Icon_Faith?|?Icon_Gold

Great People GenAdmEngMerProSciWriArtMus
Japper 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Emperor K 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|12.00|0.00|6.00|6.00|6.0
BRickAstley 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Woden 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Chevalier 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Singaboy 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
The Archduke 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0
Mike 0|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|2.00|0.00|0.00|0.00|0.0

Notes: Singaboy finished his second civic, and his settler is on the map. My settler will be in place next turn, ready to settle on the turn after that - so eta for Salamis is turn 21. He and Sullla continue to fight barbarians. 

Emperor and Archduke, though, got hammered in their domination score. Emperor lost almost 25 points - from 50 down to 27! A whole warrior getting wiped out? A slinger? Who knows? Archduke cratered as well, with his domination a paltry 22. This can only be good news for us - if we can build a domination edge on them, as our nearest neighbors (who represent a big mid-to-late game threat to win) they might be perfect targets for conquest. My first galley out of Salamis will head this way. 

Speaking of scouting, let's get to it:

[Image: 6XJ5TVx.png]

I slip past the barbarian scout. Looks like this southern area will be the best place for Nubia to plant a city - cows for growth, some quarries and hills for production. It's a very dry, barren area. Back lines for sure - we gotta start to settle on that lake country to the southeast! 

At Salamis, I block the barb scout into the Attic peninsula, leaving access for Woden's slinger to come finish him off. Played the turn in a hurry, forgot to snap a picture. 

Anyway, more reactions later. Quick report, sorry.