For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Woden's and Chevalier Mal Fet's [Insert Clever Name Here] Team Thread

Looks like we are getting started and hopefully I can play my first turn tonight. For opening moves, I will move across the river and settle on T2. My warrior is going to move north to see what is between the copper and tea and if there is fresh water. I would like to get my second city (preferably on the Tea) in range of all the food north of the lake by my start because once it is all improved I should be able to get those 2 cities growing pretty fast and be able to kick out a lot of settlers. My warrior will then circle and defog the area between us. I recommend that your warrior pick a direction and then head that way until you find coast. Preferably west? If we are in the center of the land mass, I suspect the city states are on the coast. I could be wrong but you will want to find coast soon-ish anyways. I will then send out my slingers east, north, and south as they complete, keeping the warrior (and probably a slinger) relatively close, in case barbs start to show up. You may want to go scout first to cover more land, IDK? What do you think?

I was planning on settling in place and opening Scout/Slinger/Settler, or even Scout/Settler if I grow fast enough and think I can get away with it. With more distance between civs, as long as I can handle the barbs I don't see any reason not to try fast expansion. Your thoughts match mine regarding my warrior - I was going to beeline west from our start until I hit coast, with perhaps a few veers north or south to hit city-states depending on the settler map.

Bummer about gifting units, but I guess that could have been too easily abused - it would make strategic resources and unique units matter less. Oh, well, we'll just have to do things the old-fashioned way I guess.

So we have our opening moves and research set, I think? To sum up:

Woden:
Settling and scouting: Settle across the river on T2. Defog local neighborhood, kick out slingers to explore continent.
Research: Animal Husbandry->Astrology (50%)->Mining->Pottery->Irrigation
Civics: Code of Laws->Craftsmanship->Foreign Trade->State Workforce->Early Empire->PP
Builds: Slinger->Builder->Slinger->Slinger->Builder->Slinger->Holy Site (Chopped)->Slinger->Project(Chopped)->Project

Goals: Land the boosts for Astrology, Craftsmanship, Foreign Trade, and State Workforce in particular. Shoot for as rapid a religion as possible, with an eye on Jesuit Education.

Chevalier:
Settling and scouting: Settle in place, scout west for coast and start to settle that direction.
Research:Animal Husbandry->Pottery->Writing->Currency (Possible detour to Sailing->Celestial Navigation depending on the map?)
Civics: Code of Laws->Foreign Trade->Craftsmanship->Early Empire->State Workforce->PP
Builds: Slinger/Scout->Settler->Slinger/Warrior->Builder/Trader
Goals: Land the boost for Early Empire (so prioritize growth), start to settle on the coast and begin to produce districts for trade.

It's strange not building the usual things for boosts - no need for me to build at least 3 slingers, for example.

Early game we want to quickly map out our continent and neighbors (hope that J/M are one of our neighbors, hope we're not sandwiched between Germany/Russia and Rome/China) and get our infrastructure of faith, gold, science, and production set up. That should be good as a working plan for now.
I Think I'm Gwangju Like It Here

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Turn 1

And we're off, slightly earlier than scheduled, but I'll do my part as best I can. 

I get the save and after a bit of tinkering figure out where it's stashed and how to open it. When opening the save, sure enough the Eurekas and Inspirations come rolling in:[Image: uqHlaNP.png]

[Image: jPAVzUq.png]

Woden over to the east has crossed the river and will be able to settle his desert tile next turn. Meanwhile, I follow my plan and settle in place, where I immediately begin working on a Scout in my new capital city of Trafalgar. Meanwhile, the warrior scouts west: 

[Image: mjgzc55.png]

More plains, more desert, and more lake. Still, at least I have a second site for a dockyard, even if it's not ideal. Can't expect to have found much else on the first turn! I start Animal Husbandry so I can pasture the, ah, invisible horses and boldly press the next turn button for the first time. 

Then belatedly remember that I forgot to check scores and to fiddle with the tile my city was working to maximize growth like I wanted. D'oh. rolleye You live and learn with these things! Fortunately, one of the upgrades of the CQUI mod is that scores are displayed right on the character portrait in the upper right, so I can use my screenshots to figure stuff out. Let's break it down.

CQUI puts the 3 most important scores on the portrait, from top to bottom: Empire score, science score, and domination. If you hover over the portrait, it gives a more detailed breakdown including number of civics and techs researched and exact culture and science rates. It's a handy way to see the situation of the game at a glance. Everyone who has gone before me has their 20 strength starting warrior, but only two of our three opponents settled in place on the first turn. The last, like Woden, is moving a bit before settling.

It'll be a couple of turns yet before anything really interesting happens, but exploration is actually my favorite part of any video game, including Civ. In Skyrim I ignored the quests for hours at a time, instead scrambling around the most remote wastes I could trying to find the next great view, or neat dungeon, or little homestead the developers built. In the Pokemon games the monsters were just a means to an end, since I mostly just wanted to press on to the next trail, the next city, and find out what lay on the next screen. I can't wait to boldly go some more places in the coming turns.

A blog about my adventures in Korea, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Nubia-Turn 1

It begins....

Move my settler across the river and warrior north, which reveals...

Some stone in the north and more plains hills in the south. The stone tile is on a river, so fresh water up there. The tea is not freshwater, so we will have to see where I can put a city that can reach all the food. Figure I might want to get a city triangle around the wheat and rice to switch between cities that might need it. I guess we will see when we get a better look. I might send my warrior up and around the eastern mountain and make a clockwise pass around my capital to see if I can find an early City State and have the first or second Slinger defog between us. It would be nice to find a science, cultural, or military CS soon for bonus whatever.

Interesting looking score....

and rankings...

Looks like everything is grouped by teams. Notice in the score that Japper007 did not found this turn, so I am not the only one that chose to move.

Too bad you can't name the Teams, would haven been way better.

Let the games begin!

Turn 2

Open the save and my enemies haven't managed to invade with an army of horsemen led by a pair of great generals and a battering ram. Yet. So that's good news! In a further bit of good news, I move my one unit south and - 

[Image: Wv3VLL1.png]

Jackpot. Found one bit of coast. With some wheat, a few luxuries, and hills, this is increasingly looking like a lovely future home for the English people. I'll start plotting a district map later when I have nothing better to do, probably during those slow turns when all I do is move a single unit and then hit next turn. 

But that is not this turn! First, I go into Trafalgar's citizen view and remember to swap the lone citizen from the 2f/2h tile over to the 3f/1h bananas. This drops the city growth down to 4 turns (from 6) and pushes the scout up to 6 turns (from 5). Seems like a good tradeoff to me, so I keep the new set up. It also gives me a chance to show off CQUI's city view:

[Image: MkWQhzg.png]

I love the way growth, amenities, and housing are broken down by each source, letting you quickly tell at a glance where your numbers are coming from. On the production side, the main change is the addition of a build queue, which I'm not making use of yet since I've only got a handful of things to do each turn and I'd be insane to give myself even less to do right now. But in the later stages of empire management, it's a lifesaver. I'll explore the pantheon and buildings tabs later, once I've actually got something to show off. 

I flick the screen over to Woden's civ to get a look at his shiny new city: [Image: 26OZhYi.png]

Double wheat, rice, a mountain for a campus or holy site, so many hills for production, and the lone desert reserved for his super pyramid - this is going to be a capital city to envy down the road. 

Next goal: Explore along the coast and see if it really is the ocean, or merely a piddly inland sea? Or should I note its location and continue to beeline west? Or circle north and spiral towards the capital? Woden, what do you think?

Nubia-Turn 2

Move my settler to the desert tile and found Amun...

Warrior doesn't uncover much in the north. Checked out the score and it looks like Sinagboy's China didn't settle on turn 1 but everybody else has settled their capital. Pretty sure China will settle this turn. So, Japper007, Singaboy, and I settled on T2, everybody else on T1.

Started researching Animal Husbandry (due in 9) and building a Slinger (due in 5). Working the horses (2Icon_Food/2Icon_Production), the best available. Another reason to wait a little bit on Settler, it will take a little while to grow. I probably will buy a Wheat tile if the picker hasn't selected by the time I can improve it. I would like to get a 3 Icon_Food tile for faster growth.

@Chevalier Mal Fet,
I think it might be good to travel down to the coast and find a few spots for cities. Seeing the desert mountain NW of Trafalgar makes me think there is a big desert just west of your capital, which can wait a little bit. Also, there probably is a good chance that a city state might be somewhere along the coast. The question is: do you go west or east if that is our southern coast? Going east would keep your warrior close in case barbs show up early but then may have to back track after defogging south of your capital. Going wets has the opposite, can explore further without back tracking but will be further away if barbs show up.

I will have a Slinger in 5 turns that can defog and provide security between us, so maybe west is the best bet. Of coarse, if you go west, we will find out that there is a cultural of science city state just south between us.

On the other hand, I'll have a scout in 5 turns. He could head west, while the warrior heads east and stays close if barb trouble shows up.

(December 2nd, 2017, 09:33)Chevalier Mal Fet Wrote: On the other hand, I'll have a scout in 5 turns. He could head west, while the warrior heads east and stays close if barb trouble shows up.

Good point. You can have your warrior go down to the coast and then head east to check out what is south of us. Then, you will also have the warrior around to guard your settler and should be able to find a good spot in the south, along the coast.

England Turn 3

[Image: PGEXDNY.png]

Quiet turns of exploration. The warrior moves south to the coast and reveals a small bay. No way to tell how extensive the water is, yet. I've still got my fingers crossed for a worldwide ocean (instead of a bunch of small seas separating us), and hope that this is an outlet to it, for obvious reasons. 

As for prioritizing growth above production, I guess I could explain that a bit more. In Civ 5, the only real restraint on growth was managing to feed your population. If you could find a way to create food, then there was no upper limit on how large a city you could achieve. I never tried particularly hard and I regularly had cities of 30 - 40 population in that game. This, of course, was exacerbated by Civ 5's tech system, which encouraged settling a few massive cities instead of sprawling over the map. I think part of the motivation in the housing system in Civ 6 was to alleviate this - you can't grow a massive, undeveloped city in this game. Instead, population growth generally matches pace with civic development, as each building typically grants +1 housing. 

Even so, I think it's generally better to grow up to the housing cap first, and only then start to prioritize production. Every extra pop means more hammers, more clefs, more beakers, faster. Getting the scout out earlier will mean perhaps 4 extra clefs over the course of the game, if I find a culture state, or perhaps beakers from a scientific one. But my next build will be slightly slower, which means the next one will be slightly slower as well...By growing, I get extra science and culture NOW, alleviating the late scout, and I can grow onto the 2/2 tile earlier than I'd grow onto the 3/1 tile if my citizens were reversed. 

In general, I've found that best practice is to grow until you hit the housing penalty or you can build a district, whichever is first, then concentrate on production for a while. The sweet spot seems to be at about 7 population - enough for 2 districts. In a normal game most of your cities won't grow much beyond this point, so I try to hit that as quick as I can, and then concentrate on building up the city for a while. That'll be my general plan of civic development in this game, too.