I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

Singaboy and Sullla's team thread

Brick, please don't feel the need to post a lot here. We're all hoping for your wife's good health and a safe delivery. Besides, between Singaboy and myself we probably post more than enough already. lol

I had the chance to think about different pantheons today (and yes I meant Astrology on the research choice not Theology, good catch). Let me repost that screenshot again for reference:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=6802]

Let's start with Rome. I think Rome should go for one of the early pantheons by running God King upon reaching Code of Laws civic. Rome's innate culture will meant that Rome gets to pick a pantheon before almost all of the other teams, faster than anyone who hasn't met a Religious city state. That means that Rome likely gets the second or third pantheon depending on how the city state randomness plays out. Not only can we get something good for Rome, we can conversely deny a useful pantheon to another team. In order, I like these options:

1) City Patron Goddess: +25% production towards districts in cities without a specialty district. One of the new pantheons, this would be a nice fit for a Roman civ that doesn't have any obvious choices as far as what to pick based on the starting territory. Good in all circumstances, and something we'd like to deny to Nubia/Russia/Germany if it's available.

2) Goddess of the Harvest: harvesting/chopping produces faith equal to the other yields. This is an awesome way to generate faith for a civ that's not building Holy Sites. Unlike most other pantheons, it scales extremely well as the game goes on and should see a ton of use. Harvest those stone resources and crabs for substantial faith to go along with the production/food/gold. If we can land Jesuit Education, this would allow Rome to purchase libraries and theatres without ever building a single Holy Site. Possibly even better than City Patron Goddess depending on how much chopping/harvesting Rome ends up doing.

3) Earth Goddess: +1 faith on tiles with Charming or better appeal. Cheap way to get faith without investing in Holy Sites, which could then be sunk into buildings via Jesuit Education. Not as good as Goddess of the Harvest but still a solid choice.

China is a different story. Because China is near the bottom of the turn order and we're planning on moving on Turn 1 to the eastern plains hill tile, China is going to be one of the last to pick a pantheon. Fortunately China has lots of good options available, and China doesn't need to rush to get an early pantheon. In addition to the Roman options, China would also love the following:

Oral Traditions: +1 culture from a whole bunch of plantation resources. China has four such resources at the capital alone. This might be easy to get since it's a low priority for most starting positions.

Monument to the Gods: +15% towards ancient and classical wonders. This is great for China and no one else is going to want this. That's the biggest reason China doesn't need to hurry for a pantheon - no one will take this and it's easy to get as a fallback.

So here's an oddball suggestion for China: don't run God King policy at all. There's no particular rush to get a pantheon and Urban Planning / Ilkum are more useful in the early game. Let China build Stonehenge and then use the faith from that to found a pantheon late. Obviously this is predicated on finding a stone resource somewhere nearby where China can plant a second city and build Stonehenge, but we don't have to make a decision here until China finishes Code of Laws and that will take a good 10 or so turns regardless.

Everything subject to change depending on what we see once we start exploring the map of course.
Follow Sullla: Website | YouTube | Livestream | Twitter | Discord

Good plans!

Not running the dreaded God King is always a plus in my mind.

Looks like the game is about to start.

I guess the first moves are easy. Rome settles in place. I suggest to move the warrior onto the hill SW crossing the river. The warrior can then move south or so. Up to you though, BrickAstley.
I will move my settler E and the warrior west to uncover more tiles.

What are you thinking for opening builds? Scouts or slingers? Maybe slinger for Rome to help get the "clear a barb camp" boost and a scout for China (?)

I just asked myself what was planned and the plan simply said military unit haha.

I agree that slinger and scout is a good combination. My excel file had warrior for Rome and slinger for China but can be changed to slinger/scout.

I generally don't like opening with a warrior in Civ6. It's the most expensive of the three military unit options at 40 production when weighted against scouts (30 production) and slingers (35 production), and warriors don't seem to fulfill any role in the opening turns. Want to scout out the most tiles and search for city states / other teams? A scout is best. Want to defend against barbarians and open up key boosts on the tech/civic trees? A slinger is the best choice. Warriors don't explore as well as scouts or fight off barbarians as well as slingers. Plus you start with a warrior, and I've found it more useful to have a warrior/slinger combo than a warrior/warrior pair.

Now with that said, if there's any civ in the game that could argue for opening with a warrior it would be Rome. It's almost impossible to have too many warriors with Rome since they can all be upgraded into the awesome legions later on. This is one of those personal judgment things and I don't think we've played enough games yet to know what works best in MP. For China though, I think something other than a warrior opening is a better choice.

Sulla, this is exactly my thinking of warrior for Rome and slinger for China. Of course, we need one of the two civs to open the path to archers with a slinger win, but Rome can never have too many warriors. A slinger for an opener is still fine. China can go for a scout to find city states.

I guess for research Rome starts with Animal Husbandry (for the sheep) and China goes right for astrology (up to 50%)

I like legions, why not go warrior for now. CS conquest gets that much easier as an expansion option.

Playing turn now

Brick, let me know which unit you open with, so I can then decide what to build. Of course, my decision only starts on turn 2 as I am not settling the city right away.

Warrior

Will post pictures I took when I get back on my laptop. Nothing of note between us besides an extra wheat