For a forum that prides itself on trying new things, for the love of all that is novel and interesting, please can we have a new QotM? - Krill

Create an account  

Japper and Cornflakes' team thread

Turn 9:

[Image: 20171209181641_1.jpg]

Mbanza finally grew out to the first Pantanal tile, I decided to work it over the 2 food 2 hammer tile I was working. Sadly it delays my first Slinger by a turn (3 turns out, how did you get yours built so fast Mike?) but I think that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for almost tripling my culture yields (from 1.7 to 3.8).

Due to some reallife-stuff I have not found the time to post my last few turn reports. I will thus combine them all in the post below:

Turn 4:
Warrior chases the barbarian scout in the fog. 
four more turns till the sling will be finished.

Turn 5:
Scout went into the fog, warrior continues to do some reconnaissance of the surrounding terrain till the barbscout appears again. 
Also, gratz to Emperor K on getting the first city with two population! We will follow the next turn. 
4 more turns till bordergrowth. If all goes well we will get the silk in our territory, which I will start working on once I reach 3 pop. 

Turn 6: 
Scout appears, Warrior gives him a good smack on the head. 

Turn 7: 
The scout is gone again, and the warrior continues on its path around the mountain. 
Three more turns till we finally have Astrology. 

Turn 8: 
The sling is finished! We now start hunting the scout with the sling instead of the warrior, whom goes back to reconnaissance mode. 
We also had our first borderexpansion, bringing us Silk. As said before, I will be working this tile once we get three pop, which will be in a few turns. 
Code of Laws is halfway now, two more turns for Astrology to finish. 

Turn 9:

[Image: AFBB43E2A9F27F37956C6A74B70BC8BC85760FC1]

One more turn till astrology finally drops!
I will need some more gold to buy the tile next to the mountain for the holy site, so I asked Japper for 15 gold, which I will return to him in a few turns. 
It seems that my warrior has found a mass of water to the north, probably the ocean. Though it could also be a large lake. 
The sling is still hunting the scout, revealing what looks to be tundra south of the mountain on which the scout stands. 
4 more turns until popgrowth. 
Forgot to mention, but last turn I started work on a settler. As soon as Astrology is done, I switch to a holy site, but the extra production into a settler will be useful after that.

I will start with unique city names at turn 10. Haven't had time for it yet, but I have made quite a nice selection.

You are refering to the desert tile next to the desert mountain right? The jungle tiles you won't be able to place a district on as you lack Bronze Working.

Turn 10:

[Image: 20171210193931_1.jpg]

Pottery finished, on to Writing, I don't need Irrigation just yet and I want to zone in as cheap a Campus as possible.

As it's turn 10, let's look at scores:

[Image: 20171210194014_1.jpg]

We are middle of the pack in science and culture, and with me aquiring the Pantanal we are now even on our way to being neck a neck with the team that has Rome in terms of culture. Early culture is immensely strong, I am two turns from CoL now thanks to that one 2 culture tile. It was at 6 last turn!

[Image: 20171210194100_1.jpg]
[Image: 20171210194103_1.jpg]

Rome team (I'm mostly mentioning Rome here, as China doesn't get it's first bonus until it finishes it's first builder) is predictably in first place. Our team is in last place, but it hasn't counted the tech I aquired this turn in the score calculation. Overall no surprising leaps in score.

[Image: 20171210194142_1.jpg]

Mike sent me a little pin for his second city site, I would argue that the nothern site I marked is better though. It is on a river and claims the same resources as the more southern spot would claim. It also stakes out more territory and we may want to try going a bit more spread out on the cities, as both our civs actually have some growth potential to avoid having unworked tiles with a spread grid, it also saves us production on settlers.

(December 10th, 2017, 14:09)Japper007 Wrote: Mike sent me a little pin for his second city site, I would argue that the nothern site I marked is better though. It is on a river and claims the same resources as the more southern spot would claim. It also stakes out more territory and we may want to try going a bit more spread out on the cities, as both our civs actually have some growth potential to avoid having unworked tiles with a spread grid, it also saves us production on settlers.

Ah yes, I had mistaken it for a possible coastline on my screenshot. If it is indeed a river, it will be more beneficial to settle there. 
After all, all I need for my aquaducts is fresh water. Wether it is from a mountain or river does not matter.

It is a river, Settler lense shows fresh water there, not coast.

The advantage of the river is that it gives some housing right of the bat, a non-coastal, non-riverside city get's housing capped at three. This means it's growth slows down after it gets its second pop, long before it finishes a granary and looong before it finishes it's aquaduct, always prioritize sites that give instant fresh water.

(December 10th, 2017, 14:43)Japper007 Wrote: It is a river, Settler lense shows fresh water there, not coast.

The advantage of the river is that it gives some housing right of the bat, a non-coastal, non-riverside city get's housing capped at three. This means it's growth slows down after it gets its second pop, long before it finishes a granary and looong before it finishes it's aquaduct, always prioritize sites that give instant fresh water.

Ofcourse, though the Khmer bonus makes even non-fresh water sites quite habitable  cool , as long as you can build an aquaduct.

The tenth turn has arrived!

Astrology is finally done!
It seems I miscalculated, so we did not need Kongo's extra money for the tilebuy. 
We bought the tile next to the desert mountain and started work on a holy site, which will finish in about 8 turns. It might finish a turn early, due to the popgrowth dropping in two turns, which I will assign to the silk. 
That might also finish CoL just a turn earlier, which would be nice. 
Our sling went further south and indeed discovered tundra. Seems we might get quite a bit of a barb-problem, if that tundra stretches as far in width as our apparent continent does. 
Our warrior went further north, revealing a few hills. Wether the blueish north is a river (Jappers guess) or a lake (my guess) remains to be seen. 

Originally, I had planned to go Mining after Astrology. I have decided however to switch to Pottery. I had a discussion with Japper about getting a builder after holy site - shrine - settler.
Since I will be building the Silk, Wheat and Horses, I decided to go Pottery - Animal Husbandry - Irrigation. After that, I will go writing, since it would not be clever to delay the campus all-to-long. 
Thus, Mining has been put on the shelf for now.

Turn 11:

[Image: 20171211182841_1.jpg]

I spot a nice city site to my west, it'll be able to build some mbanza's and get the final Pantanal tile in my control.

Going pottery is fine, but at least wait until I get you the boost to Irrigation or Writing from me (both on their way) before going any further down that tree. We just waste beakers otherwise. Why not pick up AH and maybe even Archery instead Mike? Especially since you mentioned barb problems... But I will boost that in a turn when my slinger finishes