Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Japper and Cornflakes' team thread

Turn 12:

Code of Laws is done!
The two laws which will govern my now-available chiefdom are God Kings and Discipline. 
Whilst Japper is focusing on Craftsmanship, I will start research on Foreign Trade. Luckily we got a boost for that due to discovering a second continent, so it will only take 7 to 8 turns to complete. 
After that I will most likely research Mysticism for the great prophet points. Whether I will research this half and then wait for the pantheon boost or leave said boost aside I will decide later. 

In other news:

Our sling found some porcelain / chinaware in the Tundra. With all those trees around it and the mountain closeby (for Khmer aqueduct and district adjacency bonus) it does not even look too bad. I could go for the faith-from-tundra bonus and trow a faith-producing city there. Lets see if the settler view will show any (un)pleasant surprises, like last turn.

[Image: c9e9024d-7655-4654-ac0d-a6f3765fee00_zpsyverq9cv.jpg]

The Chinaware has access to fresh water. Either a lake or river will be down there. Lets move the sling close next turn.

Also, regarding names:
As you can see on the last screenshot, I renamed my cap to Upãsanã, which is the first of the three bundles of chapters that make up the Vedas, the oldest written Sanskrit text history knows of. 
So yes RefSteel, I will indeed not limit myself to Classical scholarship literature. I really like your idea of naming puns and the use of city-names for literature, so I will make sure to use it later. 
For my capital however, Upãsadã is the perfect name. After all, it means 'place of worship' / 'place of godly knowledge', which is what I hope it will become: A religious capital with a faith generation unmatched by any other.

Turn 13:

[Image: 3a009023-2bf3-4d04-b834-caa6affa05c0_zpsyrtzhhfp.jpg]

We found a cultural city state!
And in the same turn, Jasper found Scientific Seoul! 
2 city states in one turn, both a cultural and scientific one. Who said 13 is an unfortunate number again?

So, back to Nan Madol:
The +2 culture in the capital is a really welcome bonus. 
Their quest however is not so fortunate. 
I had no plans on going for a chariot anytime soon. I might build one later on, but it certainly is not a priority. 
Neither do I have any plans on conquering it till its cultural bonus gets useless, so for now I keep my settlement pin at the lake. After all, I am sure I know better how to make use of that tea than some random city-state. 

We also confirmed the existence of a lake just under the Jade (edit, it is jade, not porcelain, should have checked), in the southern tundra.

On Mike's advice I'm switching to a Jungle related literature naming theme for my cities, to fit my Kongo civ, so far I have:

-Heart of Darkness (capital)
-The Jungle Book
-Max Havelaar
-The Ghost and the Darkness

Anyone have some other jungle themed works of literature for me? The connection can be pretty thin, but it shouldn't be pulp.

(December 16th, 2017, 16:27)Mikeforall Wrote: I really like your idea of naming puns and the use of city-names for literature, so I will make sure to use it later.
For my capital however, Upãsadã is the perfect name. After all, it means 'place of worship' / 'place of godly knowledge', which is what I hope it will become: A religious capital with a faith generation unmatched by any other.

Cool!!! I wasn't aware of that one at all; well played!

(December 16th, 2017, 23:30)Japper007 Wrote: Anyone have some other jungle themed works of literature for me? The connection can be pretty thin, but it shouldn't be pulp.

I'm inclined to be oblique, so in place of The Jungle Book, I'd go with its author (Rudyard Kipling) - but of course it's not my civ! By a similar token, I feel like you've got to call one of your cities Upton Sinclair, though his novel's eponymous jungle is metaphorical. For a recent popular (nonfiction/biographical) tile, there's River of Doubt, by Candice Millard, and then there's one of my favorite old science fiction novels, set on a world whose limited land area is mostly covered in jungle: Monument, by Lloyd Biggle Jr.

Turn 20 so let's look at the score again!

[Image: 20171220161732_1.jpg]

It's nice to see out team in the overall lead in terms of science due to meeting two Scientific CS early, and also in religion (it's weird seeing Kongo ahead in religion eh? That's the culture boost from the Pantanal at work, allowing me to slot in God King and also Mike's early 3 adjacency Holy Site)

Team "Rome" is ahead of us in culture, no surprises there.

[Image: 20171220161829_1.jpg]
[Image: 20171220161939_1.jpg]

We are at the top of the board! Yeej us! The only thing that jumps out at me on these scores is Emperor K's 14 empire score, does he have a second city out already?

(December 20th, 2017, 10:28)Japper007 Wrote: We are at the top of the board! Yeej us! The only thing that jumps out at me on these scores is Emperor K's 14 empire score, does he have a second city out already?

Noticed that at turn 16 or 17, but have not yet had the time to post that turnrapport. 
Since he is generating 2 prophet points and 1 for every cultural great person, those points must be from him completing a Lavra (which gives 6 empire points due to being a special district). 
He probably rushed Lavra just like I rushed Holy Site, and due to the half built costs he got it up a few turns earlier. 

Now, this tells us two interesting things:
First of all, Russia is going cultural, which is by all means no surprise. That, or he tries religion, but that trick will only work once, and PBEM 2 has learned us what to watch out for in that case. 
Second: They must have found a natural wonder. without the astrology boost he could not have completed it on turn 16/17. 
This seems to support my earlier idea that every team starts with a natural wonder near them.

Small update for the lurkers:

Apologies for being 7 turns (of the 20, rip) behind with my turnposts. 
Currently I got a huge amount of work for University, so I sadly do not have the time for frequent posting atm.

I will work my backlog away around christmas, so be tuned for quite a lot of late-but-better-than-never turn reports.
I did take screenshots whenever something relevant happened, so they will be more than just one-sentence trowaways  smile

Don't feel forced to post something every turn. You just end up drowning interesting stuff you want people to read in walls of boring info-dumping.

(December 21st, 2017, 19:07)Japper007 Wrote: Don't feel forced to post something every turn. You just end up drowning interesting stuff you want people to read in walls of boring info-dumping.

Eh? Don't worry, I filter all the important stuff before trowing something up, and combine uninteresting turns if needed.
However, irregular posts of ónly important events just break the immersion, since the way towards reaching the important event is needed both for knowing how someone got to there, and as a build-up to make the actual event even more satisfactory. 

I mean, look at Civ VI PBEM 3 or Civ V PBEM 5. Those are both boring and confusing to follow, because you honestly have no idea what is going on due to the lack of relevant posts. 
I still wonder how the hell [civ V] PBEM 5 ended up as it has, and the actual ending of [Civ VI] PBEM 3 will most likely be either a mystery or a half tale now that the only frequent poster is about to be annihilated. 

So yeh, I try to keep a somewhat coherent chronological timeline of posts up wink
Those that are bored from my readings can just 'read' the information from the screenshots and scroll onwards.

Civ 5 pbem 5 mostly stopped getting reports because all the players were bored of it, and civ 5 just isn't all that interesting a game for reporting as, well... nothing is very interesting about it anyways. 

Civ 6 pbem 3 is pretty much over at this point, so that's why reporting has stopped. There was plenty of reporting before it was over though.
Hard to follow, umh wat? It's pretty clear what happened: 

Ich made a succesfull military push against a weak/inexperienced neighbour and snowballed this into taking out another player. As he is England he only grew his army with free units throughout his conquering spree. Bacchus and Rowain tried to stop him but they couldn't