Where can I find the current QOTM? - Charriu

Create an account  

Japper and Cornflakes' team thread

Turn 23:

I finish Irrigation by building a farm on the wheat.

[Image: 20171223165950_1.jpg]

AH next turn, possibly archery after.

Turn 14 & 15:

turn 14:

This confirms my 'fears' that we got a large tundra. 
I keep fear between ' ' however, since the spot at the lake is actually not that bad. Might trow a city there. 
Especially perhaps, since with this amount of tundra I am considering picking Dance of the Aurora as a second choice, if Divine Spark has already been taken. 
It will make sure for a consistent faith generation. 
Not only would that be useful for the relics, but if we were to pick Jesuit Education for our religion, we would become a cultural steamroller. 

Being on the subject of religion:

Emperor K suddenly made a huge jump in Empire points. 
That must mean he completed a Lavra. No other thing could give him a score boost of 6 in Empire, as far as I am aware. 

I also just noticed we are death-last in Religion. I didn't think much of this at first, with it being in default due to everyone having Gods kings, however the blue team is third even with their Lavra.
It could very well be the other two players have found a religious city state. That will mean a late pantheon for us.

If I still want to get the second religion, after the inevitable Stone Henge drop, we need to keep ahead of Russia. That would mean not only going for a shrine as soon as the holy site has finished (which I was planning anyways) but perhaps also running a district project. 

turn 15:

A true interrim turn between two exiting ones: 
1 more turn for Pottery to finish
1 more turn for Foreign Trade to finish
1 more turn for the Holy Site to finish

Some barbscouts have been spotted near Jaspers capital. Best to take care of them sooner than later, though I want to at least let my sling scout a bit more east first.

Turn 16 & 17:
(screenshots all from t17, forgot to take one at t16)

Turn 16:

The holy site has been finished! Next we slot in a shrine, after which I will either continue my settler or, in the worst case, trow in a district project to not loose out on religion. 
After reviewing the nations in the game, I realised that there are actually three teams which will most likely be competing for the cultural victory. One of them being the Russian-German team. 
So getting a hold of Jesuit would not only be a nice boost to us, but also prevent them from getting it. Though they could also be aiming for Work Ethic to get the production edge. 

Then there is China, whom if played well (really, wtf PBEM 5) will have Stone Henge before either me or Russia will get that Prophet. 
However,  I am almost sure they will take Divine Inspiration or, if they build a lot of faith-generating wonders and want to stay in sync with Rome, Choral Music. 
Though it could be possible Sulla will try to convince Singaboy on picking up Jesuit Education, in which case we'd have a problem. Though if I were Singaboy, I prob wouldn't go in on that. 

In other news: Pottery and Foreign Trade have been finished. 
For civics I will go Mysticism, which I will research till 50%, around which Jasper should have his builder for his (and thus mine once he finishes it) Craftsmanship. 
If not, I will just start research on Early Empire. Never a waste to have some hammers in that. 

Now, in terms of science there are a few options. Since I do not plan on a builder anytime soon, there is no haste in getting Animal Husbandry or Mining. 
The same counts for Writing however, since I will need at least 4 pop for my next district, which will still be a while away. 
Sailing is out of the question for now, for obvious reasons. Even half-researching it is a waste at this point in time. 
So, I decide to slot in Writing. That way, I can zone in a campus as soon as I reach 4 pops. Afterwards I will go Animal Husbandry, so that in case of emergency I will only need to rush 1 tech to get archers. 

Anyways, a shot of my beautiful new Holy Site:

Turn 17:

Another update on our glorious Tundra:

We discover another lake south of the mountain, as wel as the southern Ocean. 
More discovery has to wait a bit however, since a barbcamp has spawned between the slinger and Upãsanã. 
I will move my archer on the hill north next turn, going around the mountain towards the barbcamp. That way, I will at least be able to see a bit of what lies east. 
Perhaps the terrain is as good as the western side of the mountain, though my gut-feeling tells me it is prob a 'typical' rubbish tundra. 
After all, the western side is already better than 90% of all tundra's. Best not to have our hopes up. 

Japper killed one of the scouts, and the other one ran away into the fog. It did not spot his capital, so we won't have horsemen joining us for Christmas dinner.

Turn 18:

We found yet another city state. It is Geneva! 
Yet another scientific city state. Not that I mind much, science is always good. It could have been worse.
Now, not going into the everlasting discussion as to why the hell Geneva is 'scientific'. 
One small complaint to make though: Not a religious one sadly. We could really have used one.
Oh wel, Science still the second-best after religious. 

the Genevan slinger we met blocks the hill tile around the mountain, so I will go back the same route as I came. No settlement spots there anyways with the citystate closeby. 

I wanted to highlight the city-state on the map, but instead my cheap free editor decided to blur all but the area I marked. Oh wel, not much important happened on the map anyways.

How do you get the Depth of Field effect on that last screenshot? Is it part of the UI mod you're using?

Geneva is currently definitely a Scientific city (with CERN and stuff), but you could argue Religious in the past due to it being the cradle of Calvinism. Really though, from how they just replace a CS when they intoduce a civ that has the same city (Jakarta was replaced with Bandar Brunei, Amsterdam and Seoel are sure to follow), they probably don't think them through much beyond "hey that's a neat bonus"

(December 23rd, 2017, 21:00)Japper007 Wrote: How do you get the Depth of Field effect on that last screenshot? Is it part of the UI mod you're using?

Geneva is currently definitely a Scientific city (with CERN and stuff), but you could argue Religious in the past due to it being the cradle of Calvinism. Really though, from how they just replace a CS when they intoduce a civ that has the same city (Jakarta was replaced with Bandar Brunei, Amsterdam and Seoel are sure to follow), they probably don't think them through much beyond "hey that's a neat bonus"

if you use Photobucket to upload your screenshot, you have various options to edit your screenshot, like highlighting and blurring certain parts, or adding / drawing markers/text on the screenshot. 
This way you can lay focus or highlight something you think is important on your screenshot. 

Geneva has scientific infrastructure, yes, but it deff is a diplomatic city. Hell, the whole reason the hydron collider was build there, and CERN built its headquarters there instead of their homebase in Lyon, was due to the diplomatic prestige of Geneva. In my eyes it should thus be a cultural city state.

Turn 19-21:

I cannot find my memo of the happenings of these three turns, and only made screenshots of turn 21, so I will just analyse these screenshots and try to recall from memory what happened.
They were not really interesting turns for me anyways. For other players however...

so, turn 21:

Writing has been finished, so we now slot in Animal Husbandry. After that I will either go Mining or Archer, depending on whether we have a treat that needs to be dealt with. 
Mysticism has been civilised to around 35%-40%. Did not want to risk overshooting, so switched to Early Empire. 
Jaspers builder will be ready later than I anticipated. Not because he had any delay, but thanks to Nan Madol and the worked Silk I am culturizing faster than expected  lol 

The shrine is also standing! Now the real question comes: A district project or continuing the settler?  Settler will need 5 more turns, Project 4 turns. 
I think I will go with a settler. It is always good to get up an early city early. And if gets a second Lavra down or goes for a project, I will just switch to a project too. I do not want to risk loosing Jesuit Education to them after all. 
I have also considered purchasing the settler, but I would like to save my money for a trader. 
Either way, I will go for a project after the settler since I am currently behind Russia in gpp (damn those 2 points per lavra) and want to get it before they do. 

My slinger in the Tundra got intercepted by a barbarian spear on T20, and lost 2/3rd of its health. Not going to suicide it, so I am now trying to trick the barbunit in the camp in leaving it, after which I can take out the empty camp. 
Not spotted any scout in the vicinity, so it must be further out. Lets hope it does not find one of our cities before I take out the camp, though in the worst case I will just intercept it with the injured sling. 

Now, the scores show some interesting stats, so lets take a closer look at them. 

The Sulla-Singaboy team leading is no surprise. 
Rome's wonders make it spear through the civics tree, and China just picks up after them. They have a 60% boost bonus, so they only need to civilise up to 40%. 

Not much news at the Emperor-Archduke team. They are probably just going their way for a builder or settler, unless Russia suddenly thinks it needs to get ahead of me in religion, which I certainly not hope. 
Or they might go for an early campus, which is what I would do, but reading earlier threads a second city looks more likely to be their kind of strategy. 

Talking about early cities:
The real surprise is that Chevalier Mal Fet appears to have a second city up!
First of all, congratz to him. It is quite early for having already a city though. He either settled very close-by, or perhaps purchased the last few turns to save production.

(December 23rd, 2017, 21:54)Mikeforall Wrote:  It is quite early for having already a city though. He either settled very close-by, or perhaps purchased the last few turns to save production.

...Or perhaps none cares about districs...

Turn 22 came in, and left me with some surprise. 

Singaboy and TheArchDuke both settled a second city. 
Now Archduke I sorta expected, but I am rather surprised with Singaboy. 
I would imagine he would prioritise builders and Stone Henge. Or perhaps a military unit, since both his and BrickSulla's military score have been slightly dropping in the last few turns.
Though that last part could also be due to faults in the UI mod calculation. 
but anyways; perhaps he bought the settler? Or Sulla gave him one? or gave him a builder? 
Perhaps he is not even aiming for Stone Henge at all?

If they delay Stone Henge, that would be a blessing for me and for Russia. However, I prefer to go for the worst-case scenario, and still expect a Stone Henge drop any day now.  
If Singaboy has stone in his capital tilerange, he could have it up by turn 25. But I guess we will see. 

I am glad I decided to continue on the settler. Even though a project in between would not have caused that much of a delay, I still do not feel comfortable falling behind in this aspect.

(December 23rd, 2017, 22:30)Mikeforall Wrote: BrickSulla's

I approve of this ship lol

(December 23rd, 2017, 23:16)Japper007 Wrote:
(December 23rd, 2017, 22:30)Mikeforall Wrote: BrickSulla's

I approve of this ship lol

Then let that editing mistake be their new name, and use it for the rest of the game  hammer