I am once again asking for the quote of the month to be changed as it is now a new month - Mjmd

Create an account  

DerWille's EitB Thread

It's the fate of old games, no matter how good they are. A multiplayer game might be interesting, but it's pretty hard to coordinate. Civ multiplayer has always been something that I've played with friends at LAN parties and what not. I can't imagine how hard it would be to coordinate a time across multiple time zones.

As for Volanna, funny mention you mention her, because I'm currently playing a game as her.

I started up a standard fractals at emperor with one missing AI, and drew one of the most insane capitals. Wet corn, 1 flood plains, x3 cotton, Yggdrasil, and Remnants of Patria. It's nuts. I was hoping to go for a tower of mastery win this game, because I haven't done it before, but I'd like your guys' opinion on how to dot map my surroundings. This is one of the games where I get an insane capital and mediocre land surrounding it. I've attached the image to this post.

Tech wise, I did a beeline for Fellowship of the Leaves. I have Agriculture, Calendar, Ancient Chants, Mysticism, Exploration, Hunting, and Fellowship of the Leaves. Education will finish soon and when it does, I'll do a double revolt to Religion and Apprenticeship. When I do I'll be running God King/Religion/Apprenticeship/Agrarianism.

One thing, off to the west there's the Sheiam, but I haven't made contact with them. Whoever they are, they're not worth contacting, because they'll just demand stuff and attack me after telling them to go to hell. I'd rather stay an isolated builder for now.

That isolated start has meant that I've run into quite a bit of barb trouble. My capital has been hit by 10+ barbarians and Orthus spawned in the camp right inside my borders. He killed a good 8 warriors before I was able to finish him off. I'm making it a priority to push out more workers/settlers/warriors right now, because it's turn 85, and I'm behind in expansion.

So, where would you guys put your next cities, and what would you recommend tech wise? I don't have crafting/mining/bronze working/animal husbandry/cartography. How much more econ tech would you recommend or do you think I should start going down the arcane line for collateral? Or should I prioritize religious techs and start foresting my land? A lot of it would get better with ancient forests. Further north is jungle and the Dragon Bones on the other side of that. There are no seafood resources to the south either.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Wait why are you building warriors as Volanna and not scouts? The city defense bonus?

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but they should cost the same amount of hammers, no?

Yeah, city defense. It's been necessary.

Too bad you didn't settle Gereth Minor NW of where you put it, then the seafood wouldn't be orphaned. One thing I learned playing MP is that it usually isn't worth settling wide. By the time you can work 20 tiles with a city, the game has been decided. Settling closer together makes defense a little easier and lets you work more of the good tiles. It also lets your first ring cities benefit from the capital's culture, and lets cities share culture without having to build monuments (not really an issue for a creative leader, who can settle a bit wider with no worries).

To answer your question directly: the best visible tiles are the incense and the floodplains, so I'd go after those first. 2E of cows, for an irrigated grassland tile (unless there's fresh water for the grasslands W of the incense). The floodplains are kind of jammed up by Gareth Minor and the goblin fort; I like the desert hill W of the sheep best down there. A filler city between the capital and the incense, 3N4E of the incense. A city 3E2N or 4E of the capital would benefit from the Remnants and could grab enough food to grow into the expanded happy cap.

For tech: since you're Volanna, Way of the Forest next. Fawns are a solid unit that can defend you for a while, and Satyrs are really fun. Priesthood after that, for tigers (a decent collateral substitute) and forest planting. Festivals for half-price carnivals and free tiger cages. Then the slow slog toward mages.

Edit: and I like City States better than God King. That saves you a lot of money on city maintenance.

A little late to the party, but if there's still interest in an EITB SG I'd be keen to participate. Can't say I have much idea what I'm doing in FFH, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. :P

Also up for live multiplayer EITB, though probably hard to coordinate a time.
Lord Parkin
Past games: Pitboss 4 | Pitboss 7 | Pitboss 14Pitboss 18 | Pitboss 20 | Pitboss 21